Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
14,406 Views 12 Replies Last post: Jul 22, 2011 9:03 PM by ONE-OF-THREE
RSS
VROCKET6 51 posts since
Oct 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2011 6:00 PM

Free remedy for scratched screens?

I took out my DSi from my pants pocket earlier this evening and found a cosmetic scratch on the touch screen a little longer than a fingernail but noticeable regardless if the system is on or off, as well as a number of other scratches only visible when the system is off, so those really don't bother me. I am not entirely sure if the stylus has anything to do with it, because I do not know how to detect sharp edges on the tip. Are there any home remedies to buff out the scratch as opposed to sending it in and having someone do it "professionally" for over $50? I'm really strapped for cash and would hope there is another way out there to buff out the scratch instead of replacing the screen and emptying my wallet to dust.

151 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Jul 22, 2011 1:16 PM in response to: VROCKET6
Re: Free remedy for scratched screens?

There are a few rumored methods

-putting WD40 on it

-putting toothpaste on it

-putting soap on it

151 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Jul 21, 2011 7:40 PM in response to: VROCKET6

From my experience, soap is the worst of the three. WD40 is the one that works the best for me, then toothpaste, then soap. Always start with soap, though.

ONE-OF-THREE 6,593 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Jul 21, 2011 8:17 PM in response to: VROCKET6

Sorry, but while it would be nice to be able to repair a scratched screen, none of the suggestions offered on this thread are safe to use and possibly risk causing unrepairable damage if any of the liquids come into contact with the internal and/or electrical components of your DSi.

It would be far safer to just contact Nintendo and have them repair your DSi.

151 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Jul 22, 2011 7:26 AM in response to: VROCKET6

yep you can email them on their costumer report website

Apr 1, 2010
Jul 22, 2011 9:27 AM in response to: VROCKET6

Yes, and here is Nintendo's webform which you can use to email them.

Apr 1, 2010
Jul 22, 2011 6:09 PM in response to: VROCKET6

VROCKET6  wrote:

I have set up a repair and because it was accidental it is free. One thing I do want to know is will screen protectors help eliminate this issue of scratching or should I just buy a new stylus? I can only see one of these scratches clearly while the system is on and off but can feel the stylus bump over them when i am playing a game, which is another reason i want it replaced/repaired because it bothers me while I use the touch screen.

Glad to hear that the repair is going to be free of charge, and yes, screen protectors do help reduce the chances of scratches on the screens.:)

And also, whether or not you do purchase any screen protectors, you really should buy another stylus, as you did mention the one you are currently using is "deformed" and if it didn't cause this scratch, chances are it will in the future.

NintendoGoldenSeal.png

And if you do buy screen protectors and/or stylus, you really should look for products with Nintendo's "Golden Seal of Approval" (pictured above), as that way you will be guaranteed it will be safe to use on your DSi.

Apr 1, 2010
Jul 22, 2011 9:03 PM in response to: VROCKET6

Ummm...no, the only way a scratch would turn into any type of crack would be if the screen was constantly twisted and flexed and then I suppose a crack might develop.

But the pressure that it would take to twist or flex the screen would probably have to be rather strong, that likely the screen would be damaged and stop functioning long before any crack would ever appear.

A more likely scenario is that only replacing the stylus and not repairing the screen, the scratch would damage the new stylus tip, which could cause other scratches on the screen.

But if you didn't want to have your DS Lite also repaired, and the scratch didn't bother you too much, you could purchase screen protectors for your DS and even though you would still likely be able to see the scratch, at least the new stylus would not come into contact with it and possibly be damaged.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)