Skip navigation
20,858 Views 5 Replies Last post: Jul 27, 2011 7:50 AM by BEARDEDONE
RSS
3 posts since
Jul 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2011 12:14 AM

An Error Has Occurred.  Hold down power button

Every time I try to play "New Super Mario Bros" on this brand new nintendo 3ds, the system crashes and displays the error:  An error has occurred.  Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again.  For help, visit support.nintendo.com."

Now all the "help" I could find was to update the system, which I did.  Still happens, thinking it was a broken device and it was brand new, I returned it to the store and tried a new one, EXACT same thing.  The game works on a nintendo DS.

Any thoughts or assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!!!

BEARDEDONE 1,635 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Jul 26, 2011 6:54 AM in response to: DIETHUL
Re: An Error Has Occurred.  Hold down power button

It sounds like you have a counterfeit copy of New Super Mario Bros.

Look at the back of the cartridge.  Molded into the plastic, it should say "Nintendo" and "NTR-005 PAT. PEND.".  Below that, there should be a serial number printed on the cartridge.  If that serial number is missing, the cartridge is counterfeit.

If you compare a counterfeit cartridge to a good cartridge, you may see other subtle differences.

There are pictures here:

https://ap.nintendo.com/detect/photos/platform.jsp?platformId=1&categoryId=0

Also, counterfeit games work fine in the Nintendo DS and DS Lite, but they will not work in the DSi, DSiXL, or the 3DS.

I am assuming that it is the 3DS that you exchanged at the store, not the game, right?

Apr 15, 2011
Jul 26, 2011 2:19 PM in response to: DIETHUL

I have heard of some fake cartridges appearing more legitimate.  The symptoms you describe still suggest a counterfeit cartridge.  Where did you buy it?  Was it new or used?

Apr 15, 2011
Jul 27, 2011 7:50 AM in response to: DIETHUL

This is what the Nintendo support site says about the error:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/dsi/en_na/trouble_messages.jsp

When do you see this error?
    1. If you see this error while playing a Nintendo DS game card game:
      There are no known issues that create this error with any Nintendo DS game card games. Our experience shows that if you see this error, your game is likely a counterfeit product. Please click here for information on identifying and reporting counterfeit products.

To test your Nintendo DS game card, try this testing tip:

•  

• Try playing the game in a Nintendo DS Lite or a Nintendo DS (original style).
          • If the game still does not work, it's more likely the game card is defective and will need to be replaced. Please click here for replacement options.
          • If the game works in either a Nintendo DS or Nintendo DS Lite, our experience shows that the game is likely a counterfeit product.

I have personally experienced this with a copy of Hotel Dusk (I bought the game used at GameStop).  In this case, the game had several features that differred from a legitimate game cartridge:

1. The label was not as shiny as on a legitimate cartridge.
  2. The lower left corner was rounded instead of a straight 45 degree angle.
  3. The right side of the label was crooked.
  4. The top of the label had a discontinuity at the center.
  5. The serial number was not printed on the back.
  6. The font of the Nintendo logo on the back was slightly larger than on a legitimate cartridge.
  7. The writing molded into the plastic on the back of the cartridge was depressed more than on a legitimate cartridge.
  8. I also went so far as to crack open the cartridge and found a battery inside.  A legitimate cartridge would not have a battery because the save data is stored in a flash memory, which is non-volatile (will retain memory when the power is removed).

I'm not sure where you could go to determine whether the cartridge is fake.  You could try calling Nintendo; maybe they will ask you to send it in so they can inspect it.  You can reach them at 1-800-255-3700.

For more information on counterfeit games, go here:  https://ap.nintendo.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)