Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
6,126 Views 8 Replies Last post: Aug 7, 2011 8:17 AM by BEARDEDONE
RSS
3 posts since
Jul 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2011 12:46 PM

Can't play online?

Hi, I have a WPA (I believe) secured wireless network and I can't play online with it. I was going to go to another players town on Animal Crossing to get some fruits but it says there is no internet connection in reach, yet there is and I can go on the internet on my DSi with it. It's really confusing.. is it because it's secured? Yes my wi-fi is on. I can go on the internet on the DsI with a perfect connection but I can't play online. (I can do DS to DS but not wi-fi) It registers fine but won't conenct.

Error code: <51099> (I think that's the error code..)

8 posts since
Jul 26, 2011
Jul 26, 2011 1:06 PM in response to: CHEESEBURGERZ
Re: Can't play online?

WPA is not compatible with ds online play. Change the settings or remove it to play online. Then it should work.

BEARDEDONE 1,635 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Jul 26, 2011 2:22 PM in response to: CHUBBOMARIO

Also make sure that you are running in mixed b/g mode, not g only mode.  You can use WEP security if your router supports it.

39 posts since
Aug 10, 2010
Jul 30, 2011 12:30 PM in response to: CHEESEBURGERZ

You could buy a Nintendo Wi-Fi Connector to play online, even if you have a WPA, WPA2-PSK, or any other connection. I don't know if they are still available, but you can try to search for one.

VROCKET6 51 posts since
Oct 6, 2010
Aug 5, 2011 6:56 PM in response to: NINTENDO125

The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector is no longer manufactured and quite franky I don't know why. They ceased production over a year before the release of hte Nintendo DSi yet still offer it as a connection option.

To the author of this post: It would be a better option to purchase a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector through various online retailers as WEP securityt is about as secure as an old fashioned phone jack connection nd may leave you open to an attack from a virus that previously couldn't get through WPA and its variations. They are pretty expensive but it is well worth the cost and allow you to play all DS games online that support online play. It is recommended that you purchase the one that is labled "Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector" across the housing as it is an official Nintendo product. Others, while they claim to give the DS intrnet, may or may not allow you to connect.

39 posts since
Aug 10, 2010
Aug 6, 2011 6:23 AM in response to: VROCKET6

Whoa, seriously? Wow I never knew they stopped making the connector until now . In a world where almost everyone has WPA or WPA2-TKIP (somethin like that..) and still have regular DSs or DSi's, that was surprising.

VROCKET6 51 posts since
Oct 6, 2010
Aug 6, 2011 7:26 AM in response to: NINTENDO125

I think they're slowly compensating and making DS games compatible with both WPS and WEP security, like Pokemon Black and White.

Apr 15, 2011
Aug 7, 2011 8:17 AM in response to: VROCKET6

I'm pretty sure that any future DS game made by Nintendo is going to support wireless g and WPA (on a DSi, DSiXL, or 3DS).  Third party vendors may be slower to move up, though.

Only DSi enhanced games (and 3DS games) support WPA.  You can tell whether a game is DSi enhanced by looking at the part number on the lower right corner of the cartridge.  If it starts with NTR, it is not DSi enhanced.  If it starts with TWL, then it is DSi enhanced.

Apr 15, 2011
Aug 7, 2011 8:06 AM in response to: VROCKET6

I disagree with the comment about WEP security.  While it may be less secure than WPA because it uses a fixed key, a hacker in your neighborhood would still need to obtain this key.  While there are various methods that may be used to obtain the key by monitoring broadcasted network traffic, no hacker is going to waste their time trying to hack into somebody's home wireless network.

A large corporation that has access to a number of people's personal information would be a better target and should not use WEP to protect its wireless network.

You are correct that if someone hacked into your wireless network, that person could potentially infect your computer with viruses or spyware, perhaps by using some sort of DNS spoofing technique to trick your PC into going to the wrong web page when you type the URL into your web browser.  However, a hacker could potentially do this at some other point on the Internet, putting you and many others at risk.

That being said, whenever you access banking or other sites that contain personal information (even if you don't have a wireless network), keep an eye out for suspicious changes to the website, and make sure the web browser is indicating that the site is secure before you log in.  Some banking sites put a personal message for you after you enter your user name but before you enter your password.  Make sure that the message is there and familiar to you before you enter your password.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)