Skip navigation
11,109 Views 5 Replies Last post: Oct 18, 2014 5:39 PM by THESTEALTHONE
RSS
116 posts since
Jul 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 1, 2011 9:49 PM

Does the 3DS get Viruses?

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced or heard about getting viruses, mal-ware or spy ware on your 3DS i dont see alot of security for this on nintendos behalf. but I also know that most mal ware,spyware or viruses are designed to use .EXE format and are targeted more toward bigger browser companies. For example Internet explorer, Firefox, Safari and Chrome anyway any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all those who answer.

ANTWHAT 42 posts since
Jun 27, 2011
Aug 1, 2011 9:54 PM in response to: KEIRASDADA
Re: Does the 3DS get Viruses?

Not that i've heard or seen of..so i dont think 3ds's get viruses

DIVER24 400 posts since
Jun 16, 2011
Aug 1, 2011 9:54 PM in response to: KEIRASDADA

There is no viruses for the 3DS, but if it were to get one, it might be because of some download on the 3DS or it just got hacked.

GAMEHATERDAD 602 posts since
May 17, 2010
Aug 2, 2011 4:40 AM in response to: KEIRASDADA

It is almost impossible for a video game system to contract a digital virus. This is caused because the data storage is different than on a computer.

NINTENMAN94 1,276 posts since
Feb 9, 2011
Aug 2, 2011 9:54 AM in response to: KEIRASDADA

Here's a response _TANIS_ gave to a similar topic on why the Wii cannot be infected by a virus. Since the same rules should apply to the 3DS as well, just subsitute the word "Wii" for the word "3DS".

Hope this helps.

There are two main reasons for this:

First, malware would have to be very specifically targeted at the Wii. The Wii does not run software the same way a desktop computer does, and a virus intended for a Wii (should one exist) would look nothing like a virus for a computer. Therefore it would take a significant amount of time and energy for someone to write and distribute malware for the Wii.

Second, cyber criminals target where there are a large number of potential victims and where there are exploitable security holes. Though the Wii is incredibly popular, it is easier and far more lucrative to target computers. Even cell phones are more at risk than the Wii because of their ubiquity and because they contain far more exploitable data (ie it is easier for wrongdoers to get money out of you on your phone than on your Wii).

THESTEALTHONE 4 posts since
Oct 18, 2014
Oct 18, 2014 5:39 PM in response to: KEIRASDADA

I don't know of any existing pieces of malware on the 3DS. I did see that the Wii U can't get viruses, however, malware authors could write code that gives the Wii U a virus. Only problem for malware authors is that writing code for malware on the Wii U would take a lot of time and energy.  Also, Wii U could be like a malware carrier. For example, let's say you have malware designed for computers on your Wii U. Your Wii U could carry this malware to your computer(s) over a wireless or wired internet connection.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)