Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

3 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
32,754 Views 3 Replies Last post: Apr 4, 2010 3:58 PM by LEAKEV
RSS
LEAKEV 2 posts since
Apr 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 3, 2010 10:00 AM

DS Won't Connect

I have highspeed interenet connection and a wireless router (Netgear  WGR614v8). I have changed my security to WEP and tried to connect to wifi and the ds still will not find my router. My router is connected to a cpmputer using windows xp. I keep getting an error code 51099 and i am not sure what i should do. can anyone help me with this problem? Thank you

AUTOSAVER1 635 posts since
Apr 2, 2010
Apr 3, 2010 10:47 AM in response to: LEAKEV
Re: DS Won't Connect

This error code can occur for two different reasons:

• You are trying to agree to the User Agreement of the Nintendo DSi or  Nintendo DSi XL, but are receiving error code 51099. This can occur if  you the Nintendo DSi or Nintendo DSi XL tries to connect to Nintendo's  servers to download the User Agreement, but there is no existing  Internet connection setup on the system. To connect your Nintendo DSi or  Nintendo DSi XL to the Internet, please click  here.
  • You are trying to play a Nintendo DS game online with a Nintendo DSi  or Nintendo DSi XL, but your home Internet is set to WPA security.  Please read the following:

There appears to be a compatibility issue with the security settings  on your router:

Are you using WPA  security?

No,  I am using WEP security

If you are using a Nintendo DSi or Nintendo DSi XL, you will be able  to connect online and use many online features with WPA security.   However, you will not be able to play original  Nintendo DS games that are Wi-Fi compatible, as they are only  programmed to work with WEP security.  In order to play these games  online, you will need to do the following (If you are not receiving this  error when attempting to connect games online, click  here):

BRANDOS12 219 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Apr 3, 2010 10:53 AM in response to: LEAKEV
Re: DS Won't Connect

Since you said you are using WEP security, here is information from Nintendo's Support site to help troubleshoot this problem.  There is lots of stuff you can try, and if you don't want to read it all just call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700.

• Keep trying, as there may be a temporary network issue. If the problem persists, or has been consistent over a period of time, move on to the next step.
  •  

• Configure the Nintendo DSi or Nintendo DSi XL manually

Please note: if your router is set to broadcast the network but the Nintendo DSi or Nintendo DSi XL is not finding the access point then a manual setup will not resolve the error. There may be another problem, such as interference, or a basic setting in your router that is causing compatibility issues. Be sure that your router is set to 'Enable SSID broadcast' or 'Enable Wireless broadcast'. If you prefer to keep your network name hidden, verify the correct spelling and case of your router's SSID.

•  

• Check your router on our router listings page to see if there are any special notes for your router
  •  

• Try changing the channel on your router to 1 or 11. Ensure there are no other wireless devices in the area causing interference. Make sure you are within range of the router.
  • Important Note: it is recommended that any changes made to the router are performed from a computer that is wired via Ethernet cable to the router. Also, any changes made to wireless security must also be adjusted on other wireless devices in the home that use the router (e.g., laptops, other game systems, etc). For instructions on how to change these devices, refer to the user manuals for these devices or contact the manufacturer.

• Try adjusting the Transmission rate of your router to 1 or 2, and the basic rates of your router to 1-2 mbps.
  •  

• Ensure that your wireless mode is set to a b/g mixed mode, and not an 'n only' mode.
  •  

• Check to see if you have MAC filtering enabled. If you do, be sure that the Nintendo DSi or Nintendo DSi XL system's MAC address is in the 'allowed' list.
  •  

• Try temporarily disabling your router's firewall.
  •  

• Try temporarily disabling your router's wireless security.
  • Important Note: Please be reminded, that any changes made to wireless security must also be adjusted on other wireless devices in the home that use the router (i.e. laptops, other game systems, etc). For instructions on how to change these devices, refer to the user manuals for these devices or contact the manufacturer.

• Check to see if your router has the latest firmware. Verify this by visiting the support sections of the manufacturer's website, as they often have more current versions than what your router may automatically find. Please follow all manufacturer guidelines for the correct method of updating your router's firmware.
  •  

• If the problem is still persisting try power cycling your router. Unplug the power cable from the router hardware and keep it powered down for 30 seconds to a minute. Plug the power cord back in and wait for the router to finish re-initializing. Test the connection again.

If after trying the steps above you are still receiving this error code, please call 1-800-255-3700 for further assistance.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)