Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
7,750 Views 4 Replies Last post: Aug 7, 2011 2:47 PM by BEARDEDONE
RSS
2 posts since
Aug 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 7, 2011 6:44 AM

Can't connect my DS XL using WEP security

I just got a Netgear router. It's a Netgear WNR1000v2.

I followed Nintendo's instructions to the letter but I still can't connect. What is strange is that I can connect using WPA-PSK [TKIP] security by going into advance setup and configuring my connection manually. For some reason that works. And although this is very useful for system updates and accessing the Nintendo shop, WPA can't be used for games, which is what I want. Dragon Quest IX won't connect to the internet using WPA security.

When I try to configure the WEP connection, I enter my WEP key EXACTLY as it appears in my router's configuration page. It gives me a 051300-2 error code. From Nintendo's site this means

"Unable to connect to your wireless network

Likely cause: It appears that the security settings entered into the Nintendo DS are not the same as what your wireless router is set to allow."

But they are the same settings. It is WEP security and the key is exactly the same. I tried it multiple times. I tried a bunch of different things. I tried both 64-bit and 128-bit security but none of the two work.

Does anyone have any possible explanation or solution?

BEARDEDONE 1,635 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Aug 7, 2011 8:57 AM in response to: CLEMM84
Re: Can't connect my DS XL using WEP security

Apparently there is something odd about this router, but this is what many people did to fix their problems with the same router:

Go into your router settings (192.168.1.1, username is admin and password is password), go to wireless settings and change the encryption to either none or WEP, then change the Mode to "Up to 150 Mbps b/g/n mixed mode." That's all I had to do.

I don't know why this works....

I think maybe when the router is set to WPA, it automatically shuts of wireless b mode.  When you enable WEP you have to go to the speed settings and "change" it to mixed b/g/n mode (Up to 150 Mbps) to re-enable wireless b mode.  Make sure you do it in that order (turn on WEP first).

BEARDEDONE 1,635 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Aug 7, 2011 2:47 PM in response to: CLEMM84

It seems like the router is only using wireless g mode, which is supported by the shop and the web browser but is not supported by most DS games.

According to the manual for the WNR1000v2 (external antenna) the 54 Mbps setting should support wireless b or g mode.  I'm not sure why the manual specifies "external antenna" as Netgear does not appear to have a manual for the "internal antenna" version.  I wonder if there is a difference.

It may help to try powering off the router and powering it back on to reset it after you've set up the WEP key.

The latest firmware version is 1.1.2.28.  If you have an older version, you may want to upgrade.  The latest firmware is here:  http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/12167

NOA_TECH_MIKA 394 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Aug 7, 2011 2:25 PM in response to: CLEMM84

CLEMM84  wrote:

I just got a Netgear router. It's a Netgear WNR1000v2.

I followed Nintendo's instructions to the letter but I still can't connect. What is strange is that I can connect using WPA-PSK [TKIP] security by going into advance setup and configuring my connection manually. For some reason that works. And although this is very useful for system updates and accessing the Nintendo shop, WPA can't be used for games, which is what I want. Dragon Quest IX won't connect to the internet using WPA security.

When I try to configure the WEP connection, I enter my WEP key EXACTLY as it appears in my router's configuration page. It gives me a 051300-2 error code. From Nintendo's site this means

"Unable to connect to your wireless network

Likely cause: It appears that the security settings entered into the Nintendo DS are not the same as what your wireless router is set to allow."

But they are the same settings. It is WEP security and the key is exactly the same. I tried it multiple times. I tried a bunch of different things. I tried both 64-bit and 128-bit security but none of the two work.

Does anyone have any possible explanation or solution?

Hi CLEMM84,

Does your WEP options have different settings for WEP Open and WEP Shared?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)