Skip navigation
45,307 Views 10 Replies Last post: Feb 10, 2014 1:37 PM by BEARDEDONE
RSS
4 posts since
Aug 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 23, 2011 11:28 PM

3DS SD card Format question

why FAT16 format? FAT 32 allocates the data more efficiency than FAT 16. and why not NTFS? 4GB SDHC cards and meant for NTFS.

my question is, can I use NTFS format on the new 4GB SDHC SD card I got to put in my 3DS?

also, can I move the data from one card to the other? I have 2 SD cards slots on my pc.

basicly, do I have to follow these instructions to the letter?

Message was edited by: HEAVYOAK Reason: Spelling and links

DIVER24 400 posts since
Jun 16, 2011
Aug 23, 2011 11:38 PM in response to: HEAVYOAK
Re: 3DS SD card Format question

Yes, you might want to read and follow these directions. 

BEARDEDONE 1,636 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Aug 24, 2011 10:20 AM in response to: HEAVYOAK

You know, that's interesting.  FAT16 only supports partitions up to 2GB.  That means that you could not use an SDHC card unless you broke it up into 2GB partitions.  Nintendo's Support site clearly states that you can use either SD or SDHC cards with your 3DS, yet they tell you to format the drive as FAT16?

I assume they say use FAT16 because the 3DS doesn't understand FAT32 or NTFS.  In that case, though, it seems like you would only want to use 2GB SD cards or smaller with the 3DS....

It wouldn't hurt to try FAT32 and see if the 3DS recognizes it.  You can always change it to FAT16 if it doesn't work.  I doubt NTFS would work.

If you try FAT32, let us know how it goes.  Thanks. 

Apr 15, 2011
Aug 24, 2011 11:21 AM in response to: BEARDEDONE

I read on another forum that the 3DS does support FAT32.  So you should use FAT32 when formatting your 4GB SD card.

Apr 15, 2011
Aug 27, 2011 10:54 PM in response to: HEAVYOAK

Ok, thanks.  That's good to know.  I will e-mail Nintendo asking them to update their instructions.

Apr 15, 2011
Aug 30, 2011 9:12 PM in response to: BEARDEDONE

I e-mailed Nintendo.  Their representative responded as follows:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us about the information on the website and I can explain why we have those specific steps.  It is possible to use SD standard- or SDHC standard-based cards, including SDMini and SDMicro versions with the appropriate adapter.  However, the only product we can guarantee is the official SD Card like the one that came with the system.  This card is available on our Online Store (http://store.nintendo.com) and is 2GB.

So, he's saying that the instructions for formatting the SD card that came with the 3DS are on the support site.  If you want to format a different SD card or SDHC for use with your 3DS, you're on your own.

As HEAVYOAK found out, you should format SD cards that are higher capacity than 2GB with a FAT32 file system.  You can use FAT16 on SD cards that are 2GB (like the one that comes with the 3DS) or lower capacity.

NINTENDOEXPERT101 124 posts since
Mar 23, 2012
Apr 23, 2012 3:56 PM in response to: BEARDEDONE

So just copy all folders over?

MARIO 3,197 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Apr 23, 2012 4:07 PM in response to: NINTENDOEXPERT101

Please try to avoid bumping old, answered threads.

NATHANL 1 posts since
Feb 10, 2014
Feb 10, 2014 12:01 PM in response to: HEAVYOAK

Did you guys know that the 3DS actually DOES work with SDXC cards, even though officially Nintendo says it only supports regular SD and SDHC. But nope! You can get 64 or 128 GB cards to work just fine by setting the card up with a new partition fomatted to FAT32. You can use any disk management program that handles partitions. You might have to download one for windows, not sure, but I just used the built-in disk utility on my Mac. Works great!

This is 100% fine to do. If you're one of the types that is unsure of computers and gadgets, and is therefore paranoid about trying things that company doesn't explicitly say is cool for fear of "messing it up", don't worry. I don't blame you at all if you are like that, in fact it's probly for the better. There can be lot's of strange tweaks and things you can use with with certain computers and devices that WILL mess up others. To the layperson, there would seem to be no reason, but when you understand all the underlying workings of electronics and digital devices, things make sense and you just know what you can do and what you can't. I've built, fixed, and hacked lots of computers, video game consoles, and gadgets, so trust me when I say this is absolutely fine to do. Notice that Nintendo just says their "not supported", if they thought it could cause even the tiniest problem they would say "do not use".

Nintendo has a habit of saying things just aren't supported unless they work instantly and/or perfectly every time under all circumstances, even it if takes a simple step to make it work. This isn't a bad thing, I see why they work like that, especially since they have a lot of kids for customers. You don't want people being dissapointed or confused trying to get something to work, and so they won't be if you make double sure everything you say works just works automatically every time.

Apr 15, 2011
Feb 10, 2014 1:37 PM in response to: NATHANL

I was wondering if anyone has tried this, yet.  Did you actually try a 128 GB SDXC card with the 3DS?  Do you know if anyone has tried a 256 GB card?

You can format an SDXC card to FAT32 under Windows 7 using the Disk Management tool.  You could also reformat the SDXC card under Linux, if you wanted to.

In theory, you could go up to a 2TB SDXC (if such a thing existed), if you format it as a FAT32 device.  However, there may be some other limit in the 3DS firmware that will prevent you from using higher capacity cards.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)