Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 3 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
26,351 Views 24 Replies Last post: Jan 11, 2013 8:47 PM by ROD64
RSS
3 posts since
Sep 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 9, 2011 5:43 PM

Recent Netflix channel update

After the recent update to the Netflix channel it runs very poorly. Does anyone know if there is a way to go back to the old channel?

RAPTORDUDERR 12 posts since
Apr 14, 2011
Sep 11, 2011 3:20 PM in response to: LCJV
Re: Recent Netflix channel update

Yes The newest updated brought to the Wii Netflix channel is very poor.

It lags when trying to scroll through movies  (Which i wasn't much eh about)

And on some movies it studders/Lag. when trying to watch some movies on ether a widescreen movie or normalscreen. Sometimes the talking of characters/voice are very noticable in a huge lag. So the characters say something,then like few bits later their mouths move for such saying.

Overall it's really bad, Besides them trying to make it 'HD-Cystral clear Picture (480P R/B/G)' On the shows of 'Widescreen'. It just sucks really and would be nice if this update was really removed.

As for it being able to be dumbed back down to the older version. No i tried myself by removing the channel and using the download i had on my SD of the older version. It'll just bring you a warning to update the channel before it even starts.

But yea. It would be nice if Nintendo/Netflix Fixed this and demoted the update back to it's older version Or fixed the massive lag/stutter in the channel.

ROD64 447 posts since
Apr 3, 2010
Sep 11, 2011 7:02 PM in response to: RAPTORDUDERR

I didn't know about that update...

MEGATRONFAN 207 posts since
Apr 9, 2010
Sep 18, 2011 6:33 PM in response to: LCJV

It works fine for me. I'm still using an old school tube television though. 

LANCEP2011 9 posts since
Apr 2, 2011
Oct 3, 2011 11:00 AM in response to: LCJV

As I'm a Blockbuster user the update has no effet on me, but what your talking about is comen with all Internet VOD systems if the Internet is boged down.

To give the idae lets say in the game rome the X-BOX 360 (Yes I own all 3) is downloading Super Mario Bors for Netficks, the Apple TV is downloading Rocket City Red Neeks, and Windows 7 is downloding Snow Dogs form Hulu all at the same time you can see this kind of thing happening.      

Apr 9, 2010
Oct 29, 2011 1:52 PM in response to: LCJV

They just released another update. Does it work better for you now?

ROD64 447 posts since
Apr 3, 2010
Nov 14, 2011 8:04 PM in response to: MEGATRONFAN

MEGATRONFAN  wrote:

They just released another update. Does it work better for you now?

Mine is working fine.

Apr 9, 2010
Nov 15, 2011 9:50 AM in response to: ROD64

Mine has never had a problem. It's probably the most reliable channel on my Wii. The Nintendo and Internet channels buffer videos constantly. 

WEAREHELLBENT 1 posts since
Nov 26, 2011
Nov 26, 2011 2:52 PM in response to: LCJV

Also having the same issue... not too happy about it, as it was one of my favorite channels on the Wii.  They actually managed to make EVERYTHING worse with this update.

Called Netflix and Nintendo and both said they were recieving calls about this so hopefully they'll fix it soon, but for now, the channel is terrible.

Here's what I've noticed.

They added an extra section to the software called "Just for Kids" that apparen't has made the software too unwieldly for the amount of RAM in the wii, which is probably the reason for the slowdown.  EVERYTHING is slower and choppier, or on some cases, faster where it shouldn't be, like navigating one movie at a time is much faster, but since the framerate is so choppy, it looks and feels slower.  The overall menu navigation is no loger swift and elegant, as it's lagging behind the system's graphical ability to keep up.  The menus and text when looking at the movie info actually look worse, which baffles me.

Also, Netflix channel no longer makes any sound when you interact with it, which is odd.

Oh, and there are constant rebuffering screens, and I have a very fast internet connetion.

So, if you can, call and complain to Netflix customer service so they can get an update out ASAP.

GARLICANDHERBCROUTONS 813 posts since
Jan 22, 2011
Nov 26, 2011 3:01 PM in response to: WEAREHELLBENT

Even after all this time it is still doing this. And you are right WEAREHELLBENT. I must say that it is so unbearingly slow that it just makes me want to unregister from Netflix.

SQUAREJANE 1 posts since
Nov 27, 2011
Nov 27, 2011 11:50 AM in response to: WEAREHELLBENT

at least yours is working... my netflix was working fine and then i was prompted to update today.  i updated and now when i go to netflix it asks me to re-sign in.  when i do sign in, it hard crashes my wii and i can't even turn off the wii or get it to reset.  i have to actually unplug the wii.  i was watching netflix just yesterday with no problems at all before the update.  i am really ticked off right now. 

Jan 22, 2011
Nov 27, 2011 11:54 AM in response to: LCJV

I decided that I am going to stop complaining about it here and go straight to netflix.com.

Apr 9, 2010
Nov 27, 2011 6:06 PM in response to: LCJV

How come everybody only seems to be having trouble with this channel now? The last time the channel was updated was a couple weeks ago wasn't it?

Jan 22, 2011
Nov 27, 2011 6:26 PM in response to: MEGATRONFAN

I don't know I just checked it because I was bored.

NINTENDOMASTERCHRIS 2 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Dec 2, 2011 9:25 AM in response to: LCJV

I've posted this in another thread but it also seems to be relevant here.

After I updated I've been having these problems.

• Menu screen lags as I scroll through the movies.
  • Text is more difficult to read as it changes from dark to light.
  • While searching I often have to click on a letter multiple times before it registers.
  • After selecting a title there is a considerable wait for the resume, play from begining, and select other episode buttons to load.
  • Movies not available for instant streaming no longer show up on the search list. (This was probably intentional and I'm okay with it as long as it makes search results faster.)
NACHTMUZIC 1 posts since
Dec 3, 2011
Dec 3, 2011 11:44 AM in response to: LCJV

I had similar problems.  After installing update, Netflix didn't work,  it froze repeatedly in the Queue and it also twice locked up  my Wii.  Had to unplug console from wall to reboot.  After calling both Netflix and Nintendo,  Nintendo came through with a solution:  I was told to completely delete the original/updated/nonworking netflix channelfrom my console.  Then go back into Wii Shop and re-download the Netflix channel.  I did, and it appears to be working fine. 

WOLFMAN23 3 posts since
Dec 14, 2011
Dec 14, 2011 8:51 PM in response to: NACHTMUZIC

I have had similar issues, except my Wii won't connect to Netflix at all since the update. I tried what you suggested and deleted it from my channels and re-downloaded it and it still doesn't work. Hopefully they come up with a solution for it soon.

-ABADOX- 3 posts since
Dec 21, 2010
Feb 16, 2012 11:57 PM in response to: WOLFMAN23

My Netflix channel does not work correctly since the latest update as well.

I tried these steps below, but still have problems.

1) Delete the Netflix channel, and also its save files. Yes files... with an "s". For some odd reason I had 2 save files for Netflix on my Wii's memory. Probably from the older Netflix channel.

2) Install the Netflix channel fresh from the Shop channel. Reset the Wii and and see if the Netflix channel works.

ROD64 447 posts since
Apr 3, 2010
Dec 15, 2011 10:04 PM in response to: LCJV

Again, my Netflix channel is working fine.

CREED64 2 posts since
Dec 24, 2012
Dec 24, 2012 5:49 PM in response to: ROD64

As you indicated in your previous post, it doesn't seem like you've updated your software, so that maybe why it's "working fine for" you.

ROD64 447 posts since
Apr 3, 2010
Jan 11, 2013 8:47 PM in response to: CREED64

CREED64  wrote:

As you indicated in your previous post, it doesn't seem like you've updated your software, so that maybe why it's "working fine for" you.

My Netflix channel HAS the latest update.

CREED64 2 posts since
Dec 24, 2012
Dec 24, 2012 5:47 PM in response to: LCJV

I too upgraded to the latest software version for the wii - to get the youtube channel - and netflix no longer works well if at all. I've tried deleting and reinstalling.

And the YouTube channel isn't that great. Also, after several years, why doesn't the Wii have a Pandora channel and why don't they offer an updated version of their Internet that's a real browser. Why don't they open their OS up so developers can develop some apps for it so it's even more useful. And while I'm at it - why would you launch a new device that's supposed to be a home entertainment device that doesn't have a dvd player.

@Rod64 - we're glad netflix is working for you but unless there's something unique you've done to get it to work, your post isn't  helpful.

JAKES01 1 posts since
Dec 25, 2012
Dec 25, 2012 10:20 AM in response to: LCJV

Learned last night that Netflix was having server issues due to AWS (amazon web server) outages. Seems to be working now for me. I did reinstall the netflix channel but not sure if that was necessary.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)