Skip navigation
49,138 Views 5 Replies Last post: Jan 28, 2012 7:01 AM by TYLER645
RSS
SUPERSTARFY 83 posts since
Jun 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 6, 2011 4:48 PM

SD Card Transfer Questions

I am looking to get a new SD card for my 3DS because the one that came with it is getting low on space, plus with the GBA ambassador games coming soon I want to get a new SD card but I have a few questions.

1. How or can you transfer downloaded games to another SD card using the SD card included with the system? Plus if I take the SD card out do the downloaded games stay on the Home Menu and when I try to launch them I just get a message saying that it is not on the SD Card or no SD card is inserted or do they just dissapear from the Home Menu?

2. Some 3DS games have extra save data like Nintendogs + Cats's journal data, is that transferable to another SD card? Or is that data saved to the console itself?

3. Is streetpass data saved on the console or the SD card? If it is on the SD card is it transferable to another?

4. Are downloaded games and their save data saved on the SD card or the console? Or is the game  itself on the console and the save data is on the SD Card or vica versa?

5. Is DSiWare transferable to another SD card?

6. What can and can not be transfered to another SD card and how do you transfer things to another SD card with only one 3DS system?

I am not trying to transfer things to another 3DS,  I am just trying to transfer all my things to another SD card.

BEARDEDONE 1,636 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Oct 6, 2011 7:45 PM in response to: SUPERSTARFY
Re: SD Card Transfer Questions
  1. You can copy everything from one SD Card to another using a computer.  You will only be able to play games transferred this way on the 3DS where they were originally downloaded.
  2. Extra data is stored on the SD card and can be copied to another SD card using a computer.
  3. This may depend on the game.  StreetPass data for Mii Plaza is stored on the system.  Anything that is saved on the SD card can be transferred to another SD card, but the data may not be usable on a different 3DS system.
  4. DSiWare and its saved data are saved in system memory.  Downloaded 3DS software (like excitebike or the ambassador games) and their saved data are stored on the SD card.
  5. Yes, you can put DSiWare on the SD card and transfer it to another SD card.  I don't think that the game save data can be transferred to the SD card, though.  You can transfer the DSiWare to another SD card, but you will only be able to play the DSiWare on the console where it was originally downloaded.  Also, to play the DSiWare, it must be copied to the console's system memory.
  6. Any data stored on the SD card can be transferred to another SD card using a computer.  You will not be able to use downloaded software on a different 3DS system, though.  You can view photos transferred to the SD card on any 3DS system, however.

It's good that you are not trying to transfer things to another 3DS because for most things this is not possible.

GRANDPAKELLY 1 posts since
Jan 28, 2012
Jan 28, 2012 4:54 AM in response to: BEARDEDONE

I am tyring to start my grandson in gaming.  I bought a DSi XL and I bought a Game card-Super Mario Bros and when using the game card slot it will at odd times with out any reason, tell me there is no game card  in the game card slot.  I thought the best solution to ensure that this does not happen during his playing, is to put the game in system memory.  Is there a way to do that?  I do not have an SD card as of yet but can get one if that enables me to transfer.  I take it the preferred way to get a game into system memory  is downloading from Nintendo?

MARIO 3,203 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Jan 28, 2012 6:53 AM in response to: GRANDPAKELLY

Unfortunately there is no officially supported way to copy DS game cards to an SD card or to the internal memory. If this problem persists, you can call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 for more troubleshooting or to schedule a repair.

TYLER645 1,015 posts since
Oct 9, 2011
Jan 28, 2012 7:01 AM in response to: GRANDPAKELLY

Save data for DS games can't be saved to an SD Card. On the DSi and DSi XL, downloadable games from the DSi Shop can be copied to the SD Card, but can not be played off the SD Card. Also, if you delete a downloadable game off the DSi Menu, games can't be read from the SD Card as said before, you must copy the game from the SD Card or re-download it from the DSi Shop to be able to play the game again. SD Cards for DSi and DSi XL also make the system hold more photos and for your grandson to add music.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)