Skip navigation
17,684 Views 12 Replies Last post: Sep 13, 2012 3:03 AM by MARIO
RSS
22 posts since
Oct 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 9, 2011 10:51 PM

3DS-DS error code 20109: Can this be repaired?

My 3DS can no longer establish a DS connection (Nintendo Wifi Connection) However It used to work fine. My wireless router has no security settings and remains unchanged from the DS connection used to work, After browsing through the forums I believe I have found what may be the problem in this thread:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/33003

Other users encountering this problem often had on thing in common:

After sending their 3DS in for repairs, they could not get the DS connections to work, however they could connect with no problems prior to sending the system in for repairs .

I have a similar problem:When I first purchased my 3DS at launch, both the 3DS and DS connections worked fine for me, however I sent the system in to repair scratches on the top screen, After the system had returned from repairs my 3DS connections still work fine, But I could not get my DS connections to work any more, and any new ones that I set up fail mid connection test and give me the 20109 error (However, I did not play any online DS games for some time after the system returned from repair, so I have only recently found out about this problem)

From what I gathered in the previous thread, the only viable option that could be found was to send the system in for repairs (Again) However, no one ever posted whether or not this fixed the problem, (possible because it worked and they had no need to post in the thread) So before I set up my repair order I would like to double check here to see if any one else has information about this.

Is this the correct diagnosis for the problem, and can it be fixed by a standard repair?

6 posts since
Oct 2, 2011
Oct 10, 2011 3:28 PM in response to: KINGREVALION
Re: 3DS-DS error code 20109: Can this be repaired?

Well.. It seems quite a few people have this problem now. Hopefully this could be fixed in a system update (and i don't see why not).

3 posts since
Oct 18, 2011
Oct 21, 2011 4:22 PM in response to: KINGREVALION

I just couldn't help but worry about it a bit, I'm recieving my 3DS back from repairs tomorrow (according to the UPS tracking), but if this situation occurs with me, what do you mean by "new DS wifi ID"?

MARIO 3,247 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Oct 21, 2011 4:27 PM in response to: 8-BIT_HERO

I believe what he means is that when you connect to Nintendo's servers for the first time, your 3DS is given a unique identifier, and reformatting is the only way to get a new one.

ZIGG 2 posts since
Dec 29, 2011
Dec 29, 2011 9:45 AM in response to: KINGREVALION

I balked at the reformat (I have extensive StreetPass progress, including a few special Miis I will never be able to StreetPass again) and was offered a repair.  I'd sure like to know if anyone's had this problem successfully repaired.

FATHOMDRAGON 1 posts since
Feb 19, 2012
Feb 19, 2012 5:57 AM in response to: KINGREVALION

Just discovered that this happened to me and I found out the way to fix it!

My 3DS was sent in for repair, but they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. They sent me a "recertified" model with all of my data pushed back onto it. It seems to be complete but inspecting closer reveals that not all got properly transferred.

As others were saying, the WFC ID was not properly setup. The "initial setup" that Original DSes went though helps to set up your WFC ID.

1. Go to "System Settings", "Other Settings", "Profile".
  2. Look at the top screen: note your birthday selection, but do not tap "Birthday".
  3. Now tap "Nintendo DS Profile".
  4. Look for your birthday in the top screen again; does it match? Mine did not! (Also, my favorite color did not match what I had selected before I sent my unit in for service!)
  5. Go back, edit birthday and save that setting again.
  6. Tap "Nintendo DS Profile" again; the birthdays matched.
  7. Try to connect to WFC in the game you were having trouble with again.

This worked for me. It seems that this can be corrected without a complete format.

Cheers.

ZIGG 2 posts since
Dec 29, 2011
Mar 11, 2012 6:52 PM in response to: FATHOMDRAGON

Holy ****.  I don't believe it, but this worked.  My DS profile was also borked, and after I fixed it up (I saved the username and all too), I can use WFC with DS games again.

Thank you so much!

BORGISM 1 posts since
Sep 12, 2012
Sep 14, 2012 10:57 AM in response to: FATHOMDRAGON

I sent my 3ds in for the right bumper butten to be repaired and when i got it back i couldnt connect to the ds wifi but i could with the 3ds.  I tried the system settings and the birthday deal and it didnt work, but then i went to my name, erased last letter the retyped and saved it, and did the same with all the other settings and rechecked the ds connections, and it worked.

MARIOGOLFER777 2,329 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Sep 13, 2012 2:43 AM in response to: BORGISM

As a friendly reminder, please don't bump old threads.

MARIO 3,247 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Sep 13, 2012 3:03 AM in response to: MARIOGOLFER777

Since it relates to the topic and offers more information about how to solve the problem, I think it's fine to post it here.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)