Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
24,774 Views 10 Replies Last post: Jun 23, 2013 2:41 PM by XPERTPISTAR
RSS
794 posts since
Apr 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2011 12:34 PM

Wii was hit by power surge?(I think)

So, I was on my wii, when the power went out for a second. The kind of power thing where everything blinks (eletronic devices like tvs and clocks reset). Well, the wii must have gotten the full force of that.

It wont turn on anymore. I mean, when i plug it in, nothing lights up. At all. This would be fine, but i did have my brawl game in there.... And I would like to salvage that...

Any ideas?

MARIO 3,247 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Oct 13, 2011 1:00 PM in response to: LIGHTNINGFIGHTER03
Re: Wii was hit by power surge?(I think)

Try unplugging the AC adapter from the wall and from the Wii and letting it sit for about 30 minutes to reset.

28 posts since
Oct 12, 2011
Oct 13, 2011 1:12 PM in response to: LIGHTNINGFIGHTER03

I think your machine is fried and repairs would probobly cost more than a new machine so if you want your game back than you have four options.

1. Complain to the nintendo hotline and ask for help. (the number can easily be found on this website)

2. Go to a specialty electronics store to get the game out. ( The geek squad at best buy will probably do but it will cost you)

3.Find yourself a y head screw driver ( you can find them on amazon or even ebay and they might even carry them at a hobby shop near by. theyre a special screw driver that are meant for hacking electronics) and unskrew that philips screw  on the bottom then use your y screw driver to slowly take the wii apart.

4.(easiest bit you might brake your game) get something to gently brake the wii apart / in half then extract your game.

Good luck buddy hope your game isn't comepletly destroyed.

MARIO 3,247 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Oct 13, 2011 1:14 PM in response to: JOEMOMMA22

A repair should be cheaper than buying a new system, and will ensure that any content purchased on the Wii Shop Channel can be kept or transferred. If you need to set up a repair, you can call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700.

7 posts since
Oct 11, 2011
Oct 13, 2011 2:36 PM in response to: LIGHTNINGFIGHTER03

NOOOO!!.dibI feel it's fair to warn you that if you have to send the Wii for repairs then data for games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Animal Crossing will most likely be deleted.

CALEBSTER 157 posts since
Jan 11, 2011
Oct 13, 2011 3:06 PM in response to: LIGHTNINGFIGHTER03

Im not sure if the data is still there. but if it was you might be able to put the hard drive into another system? i don't know about the inner workings of the wii too much but that might work. also recomend a surge protector for the future. first thing i would try would be a friends cords to see if its that simple. 

LINUX2GO 324 posts since
Aug 22, 2011
Oct 13, 2011 9:07 PM in response to: LIGHTNINGFIGHTER03

Most likely, the Wii power brick is fried and not the console. Power Outages took out 2 of my friend's wii's and i brought over and plugged my ac adapter into both of the wii's and they both started up and worked fine. you could try resetting the brick first via this guide http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/power.jsp and if that fails, try a friend's power supply or bring the console over to gamestop and have them plug it into one of their ac adapters.

If the wii turns on and works, buy a replacement AC Adapter instead of sending the wii in,opening it,or having someone else get the game out.

1 posts since
Oct 14, 2011
Oct 14, 2011 5:15 AM in response to: LIGHTNINGFIGHTER03

The same happened for me. I don't know why but no lights were on and it all was plugged in. Any solution?

NINTENMAN94 1,276 posts since
Feb 9, 2011
Oct 15, 2011 6:24 PM in response to: LIGHTNINGFIGHTER03

It sounds like your AC adapter may just need to be reset. For more info on how to reset your AC adapter as the result of a power outage, click the link below.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/power.jsp#no_power

If resetting your AC adapter or any of the other steps did not help, then you may need to buy a new AC adapter. However, if a new AC adapter doesn't work, then that probably means that your Wii will need to be repaired.

PCFREAK 61 posts since
Mar 21, 2011
Oct 15, 2011 3:49 PM in response to: LIGHTNINGFIGHTER03

My friend had this happen to him

He was playing Mario Kart online during an electrical storm!!

He just bought another power supply from Game Stop

XPERTPISTAR 21 posts since
Dec 31, 2012
Jun 23, 2013 2:41 PM in response to: LIGHTNINGFIGHTER03

I would try a new power adapter for your Wii. The adapter should shield your Wii from power surges. Take it to some place like gamestop and ask them to try their adapter on your Wii. If it dosn't work try buying one but your Wii would probably be fried if theirs did't work. Also I found a tutorial on YouTube that tells you how to fix it. Here the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLGCp3KP_vQ

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)