Skip navigation
5,443 Views 6 Replies Last post: Oct 20, 2011 11:10 PM by BEARDEDONE
RSS
3 posts since
Apr 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 21, 2011 10:21 AM

Art Academy: Can't redownload for free?

I purchased both semesters of the DSiWare games Art Academy for my DSi.  I was disappointed when I found out they were among the DSiWare titles that couldn't be transferred to the 3DS. I realize that one of the challenges for bringing this software from one generation of handheld to the next was the difference in screen resolution, and I respect that.

However, I recently learned that Art Academy is NOW available to download on the eShop.  Unfortunately, it looks like I need to shell out another $8 (PLUS #!$&(#@% TAX!) to get it on my new system!  Why did Nintendo do this? It's bad enough 3DS owners still don't get Flipnote Studio, but to pay for something I already downloaded is just plain bull!

I plea to Nintendo to allow me to download the Art Academy DSiWare to my 3DS at no additional charge.

Also, does Nintendo plan to release a firmware update that will allow DSiWare to be saved to the SD card rather than the system memory and still remain playable? If not, WHY not?

AKARUTHEYOSHI 244 posts since
Jun 26, 2010
Oct 20, 2011 5:28 PM in response to: YELLOWEDGE64
Re: Art Academy: Can't redownload for free?

Try calling Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700. They might be able to let you get the games for free.

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Oct 20, 2011 7:35 PM in response to: AKARUTHEYOSHI

Akarutheyoshi is right, only by calling Nintendo can you have them change the eShop rules so that this purchased DSiWare game can be redeemed for the same game on the eShop (but any saved data with be lost, you are right that it cannot be transferred).  In answer to your other question, Nintendo does not plan to release a firmware update that will allow DSiWare games to be downloaded onto an SD Card in a 3DS instead of directly into the System Memory.  This is due to a basic technical limitation.  The original DSiWare games, before the release of the 3DS, were formatted by Nintendo to be on the DSi System Memory.  Since the DSi did not use an SD Card then, they cannot be used on an SD Card now.  I suspect that the inability to put DSiWare on SD Cards is due to piracy concerns.  It is unlikely that a firmware update will be released in the future that will allow DSiWare games to be on an SD Card.  For now, we must be content with putting our DSiWare in the 3DS System Memory.

MARIO 3,191 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Oct 20, 2011 7:42 PM in response to: YELLOWEDGE64

I believe you can still try to transfer the DSiWare titles to your 3DS if you still have the DSi.

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Oct 20, 2011 8:09 PM in response to: MARIO

Sure you can, but just not Art Academy.  Sorry for the long winded reply.

-Thanks

MARIO 3,191 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Oct 20, 2011 8:20 PM in response to: MACHBIKER

I believe the Art Academy titles have been added to the list of titles that can be transferred. You can find information on transferring titles, including a list of titles that cannot be transferred, here (click here.) If the original poster still has these titles on their DSi, they may be able to redownload the transfer tool and try again.

BEARDEDONE 1,635 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Oct 20, 2011 11:10 PM in response to: MARIO

MARIO  wrote:

I believe the Art Academy titles have been added to the list of titles that can be transferred. You can find information on transferring titles, including a list of titles that cannot be transferred, here (click here.) If the original poster still has these titles on their DSi, they may be able to redownload the transfer tool and try again.

Mario, you are correct.  I just transferred Art Academy 1st Semester from my DSiXL to my 3DS. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)