Skip navigation
10,295 Views 3 Replies Last post: Nov 6, 2011 10:39 AM by ZERO-XH
RSS
1 posts since
Nov 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 4, 2011 12:25 PM

3DS won't do a local connection with DS games.

Hi, so I recently bought a new red 3DS about a month ago and recently tried to play Zelda Four Swords with a couple of friends. Two of them had 3DS devices and one had a DSi. We started a local multiplayer game and all my friends were able to connect to the hosting device for local play except mine. We even tried having my 3DS host the game, but while the game would show up on everyone elses device, nobody could connect to it.

We then tried Mario Party DS and I tired to connect to the host game via DS Download play but my 3DS would never locate the game to download, and if I tired to host, the game would show up for my friends but again, they would recieve a 'Communication Error'.

I then tried to see if my 3DS would do local connections with a 3DS title, so we tried Starfox 3D and it worked just fine. It should also be worth mentioning that Streetpass stopped working for me and refused to streetpass with my friends' 3DS devices until I was forced to do a hard reset (after many failed restart attempts), and then it worked. WiFi for the E-shop and browser also works.  So it seems the problem with my device is that it ultimately cant do local connections for DS games.

Can anything be done about this, or do I need to send it in for repairs? Could I have a busted antenna?

1 posts since
Apr 10, 2010
Nov 5, 2011 5:28 PM in response to: COASTERBOI89
Re: 3DS won't do a local connection with DS games.

That sounds exactly like what happened with mine. Have you tried to go online on DS mode? or does this just happen on local Wi-Fi? Mine wouldn't connect for both. The Nintendo Rep told me that this was something that he had never heard happening with other users. At the end we determined that there was something wrong with my unit, so unfortunately I had to send it in for repair. I just got it back a few days ago, and my problem was solved. So it probably sounds like the antenna is busted. Give Nintendo a call to see what they can do, but it sounds like you might have to send it in.

BEARDEDONE 1,636 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Nov 5, 2011 10:38 PM in response to: COASTERBOI89

This is definitely a problem with your 3DS.  You should be able to play four swords with others who have a DSi (I tried this here and it works fine).  Whether it's a busted antenna or something else, you will have to call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 to schedule a repair.  The repair should be free, since your 3DS is still under warranty.

ZERO-XH 18 posts since
Mar 11, 2011
Nov 6, 2011 10:39 AM in response to: COASTERBOI89

Could be a long shot, but make sure you set all the settings in the System settings for the DS side of the 3DS.

In the System Settings, go to Other Settings, then Profile: And there make sure you have a User Name, Birthday and Full region (Country and State) set up.

After check the "Nintendo DS Profile" and set those settings as well.

Lastly, you could try re-entering the Current Date and Time for the 3DS as well.

I recommend you check those before sending your 3DS in because those features all affect the DS side of the 3DS, believe it or not. And if not set correctly, can prevent you from using some DS features as it had done to me until I re-set those.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)