Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
36,189 Views 18 Replies Last post: Feb 2, 2013 3:36 PM by JTHECURSED
RSS
3 posts since
Nov 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2011 7:05 AM

Netflix slower after updating it on the Wii Shop. Is this normal?

Hello:

I downloaded Netflix the same day that it was available on the Wii shop channel.  I recently browsed through the Wii Shop and noticed that the word "updated" was on top of the Netflix App.  After the update, start-up is slower, lag occurs when scrolling through movies, and various other issues.
Issues:
-animations are not smooth like they were on the original version
-everything seems to be sluggish in the new update's GUI
-moving from one genre to another using the wiimote (up & down arrows) results in extreme video choppiness
Is this a known issue that will be addressed in a future update?  If not, is there any way to revert back to the previous version?  If I had known, I would have never updated.  The old version worked flawlessly.  I figured the update would offer new feature(s).
I'm wondering, is all this normal?

NOTE: I even deleted the Channel and save data from my console.  After re-installing the Netflix Channel, the problem is still present.

Any help?  Thank you.

E-DUDNETNIN 465 posts since
Apr 5, 2010
Nov 17, 2011 7:32 AM in response to: BUTTERFLY_JOE
Re: Netflix slower after updating it on the Wii Shop. Is this normal?

Have you had any problems with anything else that uses the internet on your Wii? You might be having problems with your connection itself. You could always try power cycling your router and/or resetting your internet settings on your Wii to see if that makes things any better.

SUPERSONIC9001 69 posts since
Sep 7, 2011
Nov 17, 2011 1:24 PM in response to: BUTTERFLY_JOE

I don't personally have this channel, but I have heard of multiple cases of lag after the update, so it's probably normal.

MEGATRONFAN 207 posts since
Apr 9, 2010
Nov 22, 2011 9:39 AM in response to: SUPERSONIC9001

SUPERSONIC9001  wrote:

I don't personally have this channel, but I have heard of multiple cases of lag after the update, so it's probably normal.

I can also confirm It is much slower than before. If you have a wired connection like me it shouldn't be a huge deal though.

1 posts since
Nov 25, 2011
Nov 25, 2011 7:13 PM in response to: SUPERSONIC9001

I have the exact same problem.  Netflix worked wonderfully until the last update.  Directly after the update was applied, the main menu became sluggish and barely functional.  The thumbnail previews that are supposed to appear when rewinding/fast-forwarding appear infrequently. 

What a mess!  This update should have never passed Nintendo QA. 

This is the perfect opportunity to drop Netflix. 

1 posts since
Nov 24, 2011
Nov 24, 2011 4:16 PM in response to: BUTTERFLY_JOE

I have the newest model Wii and the same thing happened. All of the content on Netflix buffers at the same rate but the menus are lagging. Did you fix it?

WICKID-VULTURE 27 posts since
Jun 27, 2010
Apr 15, 2012 6:18 PM in response to: E-DUDNETNIN

from what i understand the "update" is more of a "downdate" and i belive you must keet the netflix channel updated like the shop channel.

***Edited to remove inappropriate content.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_YURI

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Apr 15, 2012 6:18 PM in response to: WICKID-VULTURE
from what i understand the "update" is more of a "downdate" and i belive you must keet the netflix channel updated like the shop channel.

What are you basing this off of?  There is no need to keep either the Netflix or Wii Shop channels updated, and the last update for the Wii Shop channel was on September 7, 2010.

1 posts since
Nov 24, 2011
Nov 24, 2011 7:21 PM in response to: BUTTERFLY_JOE

Count me as another who has this same problem. Everything was working perfectly, right up until I accepted the update yesterday. Immediately after the Wii Netflix app was updated the menus loaded sluggishly, the sound effects associated with actions/navigation are absent, scrolling is no longer smooth,etc.

Has nothing to do with the ISP or my router or the connection or the wii itself. I guarantee it has to do with the update. All we need to know is how to reverse this update.

1 posts since
Nov 24, 2011
Nov 24, 2011 10:06 PM in response to: BUTTERFLY_JOE

I have the same problem.  After the netflix update, the app is slow to respond when trying to choose a show.  I would have though Nintendo whould have required better QA testing.

2 posts since
Jun 5, 2010
Nov 26, 2011 10:38 PM in response to: BUTTERFLY_JOE

So I have the same issues, dont know if anyone else tried this, but when i called netflix they told me to delete it from the wii and re download it. doing so now, so not sure if it works. but if not then i'm calling again.

GARLICANDHERBCROUTONS 813 posts since
Jan 22, 2011
Nov 29, 2011 12:30 PM in response to: BUTTERFLY_JOE

Did you call Netflix yet? And if so what did they say?

2 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Dec 2, 2011 9:25 AM in response to: BUTTERFLY_JOE

After I updated I've been having these problems.

• Menu screen lags as I scroll through the movies.
  • Text is more difficult to read as it changes from dark to light.
  • While searching I often have to click on a letter multiple times before it registers.
  • After selecting a title there is a considerable wait for the resume, play from begining, and select other episode buttons to load.
  • Movies not available for instant streaming no longer show up on the search list. (This was probably intentional and I'm okay with it as long as it makes search results faster.)
1 posts since
Dec 7, 2011
Dec 7, 2011 10:55 AM in response to: BUTTERFLY_JOE

Reinstalling fixed the problem for me.  In fact, the new one is faster than the old one.  The one problem I ran into is that I couldn't install after uninstalling at first, but a reboot fixed that problem.  It downloaded and installed in under 2 minutes.  If you find yourself waiting for a long while (more than 5 minutes) for the Netflix app to install, try rebooting.  Hope this helps

THORNEVALD 2 posts since
Dec 11, 2011
Dec 11, 2011 8:07 AM in response to: IWANT2BU

Same problem for me.  After doing the update there is no animation, its choppy, text is hard to read, and there is a lag when inputting text.

*update, I will try to delete and reinstall*

1 posts since
Dec 11, 2011
Dec 11, 2011 9:01 AM in response to: THORNEVALD

The new update freezes my wii and it has been very laggy and slow... the update was too much for the wiis memory console.

JTHECURSED 1 posts since
Feb 2, 2013
Feb 2, 2013 3:36 PM in response to: BUTTERFLY_JOE

I have this problem also. Has anyone found a solution yet? 

Deleting and re-instlling NetFlix on the Wii did not work.

Taking streaming quality down to "Better" on NetFlix didn't help either (and made the video quality worse ).

Also, do any of you use AT&T UVerse?  These problems did not start until I got this piece of garbage.  However, I got the UVerse and a new Wii (not a WiiU) to replace my old Wii at the same time, so I had to download the updated NetFlix onto the new Wii, and that is when the problems started. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)