Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
224,839 Views 12 Replies Last post: Dec 25, 2012 9:35 PM by JUSTDANCE4EVER
RSS
MZONA 1 posts since
Nov 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 23, 2011 6:04 PM

HELP! My Wii won't turn on!!!

Hi, I have a Wii that is probably about 4 years old. It is definitely close to one of the original verisions. I have never had a problem with my Wii before, nor has it had any physical damage to it. I stopped playing it for quite some time, and finally decided to make a Wii comeback. Ever since I have started playing it again, there are periods of time when I CAN NOT get it to power on. The red light is on, and when I push the power button it turns green and even makes the noise like it is starting up, but there is nothing at all on the screen. I know it is not a screen issue, because the Wii remote won't even connect to the console either, which leads to believe it just won't boot up. It is definitely getting power, but just will not boot up. After trying several times it would usually finally work, but now it just keeps doing this same thing. Anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

CPM 1,239 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Nov 23, 2011 6:53 PM in response to: MZONA
Re: HELP! My Wii won't turn on!!!
TICKLETOES 1 posts since
Nov 24, 2011
Nov 24, 2011 7:33 AM in response to: CPM

I'm having the same exact problem.  I followed the link you posted and it's doesn't give any direction to how to solve this.  I think we are looking for something with a little more meat to solve this problem.  My unit was working fine until I changed TV's then it powers up, nothing on the screen and the remotes will not sync to the unit.  I've unplugged, tried to reset and all the simple sometimes quick fixes but to no avail.  Is there a more substantial solution to this challenge?

Thanks.

CPM 1,239 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Nov 24, 2011 7:40 AM in response to: TICKLETOES

you may have to send your wii in for repairs.

GARLICANDHERBCROUTONS 813 posts since
Jan 22, 2011
Nov 24, 2011 8:00 AM in response to: TICKLETOES

And if you still have a warrenty for your Nintendo Wii you can get those repairs for free.

U432 31 posts since
Oct 9, 2011
Nov 24, 2011 3:20 PM in response to: GARLICANDHERBCROUTONS

sometimes it depends on what tv you have or your setting on your wii if this did not help you sould call nintendo and they will help you

TOTALLYDUMB 4 posts since
Dec 4, 2011
Dec 4, 2011 10:57 AM in response to: MZONA

I have the identical problem EXCEPT that the only thing that happened was that the older RCA tv got slid a couple feet to make room for the Christmas tree and the cable between the dvd and the tv got disconnected. Nothing was unplugged on the wii. I went to turn on my wii fit the next morning and it wouldn't come on. the power comes on but it won't load. Also the dvd player recorder does not work either. The wii does work on a different tv that does not require an RF Modulator to hook up. I thought that the problem must be the RF modulator but I got a new one and it still won't work. Any suggestions? I have tried all the unplugging for 2 minutes and just about everything I can. I bought a new cable to replace the one that got unplugged. I haven't tried this yet. I guess I'm afraid to.. I think now it's possible I have all the connections with the cable wires that go throught the dvd screwed up..  tried changing cable and s-video cords--didn't work

SOMERSPOINT2002 31 posts since
Aug 28, 2011
Dec 4, 2011 12:48 PM in response to: MZONA

Did your unplug your wii or you tv connected to your wii?

Dec 4, 2011
Dec 4, 2011 1:53 PM in response to: SOMERSPOINT2002

yes--did the 2 minute thing as suggested by others. I don't think it's a wii issue because the wii works on the newer tv. thought maybe I had channel settings wrong, but that wasn't it. The tv is on a digital converter as well as an RF modulator (do I need a new tv or what, lol) and is working fine. Just the dvd recorder and the wii don't work. I had to disconnect the wii to hook up the dvd, before and that worked fine, now it doesn't. I'm stumped! I do have it hooked up to a new RF modulator because that seemed the logical problem but it didn't solve it.

CPM 1,239 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Dec 4, 2011 3:11 PM in response to: MZONA

Wii Console Won't Turn On, and Has No Power Light Situation: •The Wii console won't power on, and the Power LED is unlit •The console powers on, but shuts off after a few seconds/minutes •Attaching an accessory to the console turns the power off Information: This issue can be caused by an accessory or power surge tripping the circuit breaker on the AC Adapter. What To Do: •Check any accessories attached directly to the console to make sure that it is licensed and undamaged. Unlicensed or damaged accessories shouldn't be used with the console. •Try using a different wall outlet, or plug a different device into the outlet to make sure the outlet is providing power. •Perform an AC Adapter Reset. (How To) Situation Not Resolved: If the system still won't power on, the system and AC adapter will need to be repaired. To start the repair process, click here.

Dec 4, 2011
Dec 4, 2011 6:15 PM in response to: CPM

in my case the light goes from red to green and makes all the right noises. the remote works. the wii works on another tv. the tv works and the outlet works. I thought maybe something got shorted in the cable that connected from the tv to the dvd or the one from the dvd to the rf modulator..?

Dec 4, 2011
Dec 18, 2011 8:39 PM in response to: TOTALLYDUMB

My screen name is right on for me!  I have finally after 2 weeks have my problem solved. All I had to do was unplug the S video cable from the RF modulator. I think in all our messing around plugging and unplugging wires trying to figure out what was wrong it got plugged in. We only use the S video cable when we are using the DVD player/recorder. My Wii is back to working fine! Hope this helps someone else.

JUSTDANCE4EVER 11 posts since
Dec 25, 2012
Dec 25, 2012 9:35 PM in response to: MZONA

All I have to say is, if the Wii is 4 years old, it may be time to just get a new one. Repairs aren't worth it cause it will soon break again so it would be worth it and less expensive to get a brand new one.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)