Skip navigation

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
67,589 Views 8 Replies Last post: Feb 16, 2014 4:58 PM by MMUNCH88
RSS
WORLDCLASSPLUMBER 2 posts since
Nov 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 25, 2011 6:03 PM

Wii Unable to Read Disc Error

While playing Skyward Sword, I suddenly got this message. After that, the rest of my games stopped working too (I tried Brawl and NBA Jam, so I assume the rest won't play). The games' title screens always appear in the disc channel menu, but they always get the same error message when I launch them. Oddly, Skyward Sword will sometimes get to the "pick a file" screen before the message appears...but sometimes it doesn't load at all. Before the message appears, I can always hear the Wii struggling to read the disc, and then it seems to give up. Other than being unable to read my game discs, the Wii works fine (system settings, channels, internet, etc. all work). Since my Wii is about four years old and this problem came out of nowhere, I'm assuming this is not a dirty lens problem but a damaged lens problem. Should I spend extra time and money hunting down a Lens Cleaning Kit or should I just send my machine to Nintendo? I really want to get back to playing Skyward Sword!

Thanks

***Edited to remove personal information. Please do not share personal information on our Tech Support Forums.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_BRYCE

NINTENMAN94 1,276 posts since
Feb 9, 2011
Feb 1, 2012 10:16 PM in response to: WORLDCLASSPLUMBER
Re: Wii Unable to Read Disc Error

Just because your Wii is four years old doesn't mean the optical lens isn't dirty. After about two years, my Wii was experiencing some disc read errors due to a dirty lens, so the time interval doesn't have much to do with it.

Anyhow, I would try using a Wii Lens Cleaning Kit first, since the cleaning kit is so much cheaper than a repair, and it can potentially save you from paying around $75 on repairs.

However, if the cleaning kit does not work, then unfortunately, there's a problem with your Wii's disc drive, and it will need to be repaired. Call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 (open 6am to 7pm, 7 days a week), or e-mail them via their webform, and they will set up your Wii's repair process.

NINTENMAN94 1,276 posts since
Feb 9, 2011
Nov 26, 2011 8:38 AM in response to: WORLDCLASSPLUMBER

You can also buy the the cleaning kit off of Nintendo's Online Store. I put a link in my post for that.

Nintendo doesn't sell the cleaning kits at retail stores anymore, so you'll have to buy them online.

DIANAM 1 posts since
Nov 26, 2011
Nov 26, 2011 7:14 AM in response to: WORLDCLASSPLUMBER

After updating our wii, the disc cannot be read came up.....was playing fine up until then.........any suggestions? Tried a different disc even did a gamecube disc, still the same thing. My kids wanted to do the super smashbros.brawl on line, and this is what we get for it. If you could help it would be greatly appreciated. To bad a wii isn't like a computer where you can go back a day when it was working fine before the changes took place.

LTR121212 1 posts since
Nov 1, 2012
Nov 2, 2012 10:35 AM in response to: WORLDCLASSPLUMBER

I've got the same problem: yesterday, I was playing super smash bros brawl with my cousin. I was in the link/yoshi level when the music stopped and a message poped out 10 seconds later saying the disc could not be read. So I cleaned it and put it back in, but it still didn't work. After I closed my wii, I tried again, but it was saying the can't read disk error again! I tried a game that worked perfectly fine: kirby's return to dreamland. As I thought, it was not a scratch problem. I've hacked my wii, so I don't want to send it to nintendo. I've been observing that, something around 3 weeks ago, when I was putting cd's in my wii, they were entering more slowly than before. Now, when I put a cd, my wii makes strange noises, like the intro bgm ending ( tingingingdoungdoungdoungdoung if I can describe a sound ) and louder cd readings! Help me!

MARIO 3,191 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Nov 1, 2012 4:34 PM in response to: LTR121212

Unfortunately the best thing may be to try and find the Wii Lens Cleaning Kit to see if that helps. There are some general troubleshooting tips for this error here. Since your system has been modified, Nintendo may not offer a repair if that turns out to be necessary, I'd note.

MARIOGOLFER777 2,329 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Nov 1, 2012 4:41 PM in response to: LTR121212

As a friendly reminder, my friend, please don't bump old threads. This thread has been inactive for nearly a year.

MMUNCH88 1 posts since
Feb 16, 2014
Feb 16, 2014 4:58 PM in response to: WORLDCLASSPLUMBER

Get a #00 tri wing screwdriver.  Gently take the wii apart.  Take your time.  blow out all dust particles.  Remove casing from disc drive area - carefully blow out or swab dust particles out.  Reassemble - I got lucky.  It worked. Tri wing is available at Frys, amazon or other on line stores.  I paid $3.95.  Probably best to get #0 #00 and #000 set - otherwise be careful not to strip the screws.  BOL

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)