Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 3 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
18,176 Views 3 Replies Last post: Apr 10, 2010 5:13 PM by FREEZDUDE
RSS
FUNNY_BOY 2 posts since
Apr 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 8, 2010 11:59 PM

What if I don't use a WEP key?

I have a wireless connection, and it works fine with my DSi, Wii, and all other electronics that support wi-fi. However, my DS Lite and DS Lite games (such as Final Fantasy III) does not let me connect to Nintendo WFC because my connection does not use a WEP key. Instead, I use a WPA-PSK (TKIP) security key, which is not supported by the Nintendo DS Lite system. Even when I put the Final Fantasy III cartridge in my DSi console, which receives a strong wi-fi signal, the game still does not let me use the wi-fi connection. How can I get my DS Lite system and games to support my wi-fi connection? Please let me know.

3 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Apr 9, 2010 9:43 AM in response to: FUNNY_BOY
Re: What if I don't use a WEP key?

A WEP key connection is the only type of connection that a DS will support for online play. You can still use the features on the DSi because those types of features (Like the Dsi Shop) do not need a WEP key to be accessed. Your Wii works with Online play because your WPA-PSK (TKIP) security key will allow the Wii to connect online. The Wii does not need a WEP to to operate on Wifi connection.

In order to connect to Wifi with your DS, you can do one of the following:

1) Change your router's connection to have a WEP key (Get parent's permission first)

2) Buy a nintendo Wifi USB connector off of Ebay or Amazon (The actual product has been discontinued by Nintendo, but it still works sometimes)*

3) Use local hotspots to connect

There are probably other ways to connect, too.

*The USB connector may still work, but It might break after some time. Make sure that the software will be able to work on your computer. I bought a Wifi USB connector, but it only worked for a ahort amount of time.

3 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Apr 10, 2010 5:13 PM in response to: FUNNY_BOY
Re: What if I don't use a WEP key?

My USB connector was $50 new from a seller on Amazon. I was lucky though, because it was completely unused, still sealed inside its package.

The software can be downloaded here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/customersupport/downloadUSB.jsp

I would try downloading it before you buy the connector to make sure it downlaods right.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)