Skip navigation
11,196 Views 7 Replies Last post: Dec 27, 2011 2:26 PM by MARIO2804
RSS
MARIO2804 119 posts since
Dec 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 27, 2011 10:27 AM

Nintendo 3DS eShop payment question

Hello, I got an American Express gift card worth $50.00. I went to go add some of it to my eShop account, but the only 3 types of cards I can use are 3DS prepayed cards, Visa, and Master Card. I am sad and I am wondering why only Visa and Master Card are only availible.

I would go buy a prepayed card, but there is tax, and I don't have time to go to the store and buy one........

MACADET08 123 posts since
Dec 4, 2011
Dec 27, 2011 10:36 AM in response to: MARIO2804
Re: Nintendo 3DS eShop payment question

You can buy a 3DS eShop gift card with your American Express gift-card. Most cashiers will be able to apply the first $50 dollars to the American Express card and then anything extra (i.e. the dollar or two of tax) can be paid in cash or with another card.

NIGHTFIRE5 3,412 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Dec 27, 2011 10:36 AM in response to: MARIO2804

Simple. Because at this time, that's simply all Nintendo accepts for the purchasing funds using the Wii Shop Channel, Nintendo DSi Shop, and the Nintendo eShop.

However, do be aware that not all places charge tax on a prepaid card. Some stores may not charge tax, while in other cases, some states don't charge tax on prepaid cards of any kind. If it'll make you feel better, and if you're a collector of Nintendo items, there is the Limited Edition The Legend of Zelda 3DS Prepaid Card that is currently available, featuring the image of Link battling Ganondorf, as seen in The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. If you're a collector, don't worry about the tax.

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Dec 27, 2011 10:37 AM in response to: MARIO2804

There is no knowing why Nintendo only decided to support Visa and Mastercard.  You can ask them directly with their webform: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

There is also tax on individual purchases that you make on the eShop (depending on where you live), regardless of whether you added funds with a prepaid card or credit card.

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Dec 27, 2011 10:53 AM in response to: MARIO2804

Just remember that tax on prepaid cards may be charged; it depends on the state.

GLACIUSX25 1,903 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Dec 27, 2011 11:27 AM in response to: MACHBIKER

MACHBIKER  wrote:

Just remember that tax on prepaid cards may be charged; it depends on the state.

And if your state does charge tax, buy it off amazon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)