Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 3 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
19,583 Views 23 Replies Last post: Apr 24, 2012 3:52 PM by MACHBIKER
RSS
CATHRYNG 4 posts since
Apr 6, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 6, 2012 2:24 AM

Xenoblade Chronicles - Unable to read the disc

Hello everyone,

My local EB was allowing people to pick up their Xenoblade Chronciles preorders yesterday (Thursday the 5th), so I went to pick it up.  I have not used my Wii for quite some time, so when I put the disc in and it wasn't recognized at all by the system (the tray accepted the disc, but it didn't spin or anything) I thought that my Wii hardware was the problem.  I have managed to find a couple earlier Wii titles and they are being recognized by my system just fine, so I am thinking that there must be a problem with the Xenoblade disc itself.

I have an older, white Wii, purchased in 2007, but I updated the system before I tried playing Xenoblade, so it's totally up to date.

I am not getting any particular error message, the system just isn't recognizing that the disc is there at all.  I can't hear any spinning sounds at all and if I manually go to the disc channel, the system just tells me that it is unable to read the disc and that I should check the Operators manual. 

The disc can be put into and ejected from the system just fine, however, the contents are just not being read.

I am putting the disc in the correct way, I've checked this several times.

When other games are inserted into the system, they are recognized, there is some spinning, the titles appear properly in the Disc channel, and they load properly and can be played just fine.

Any advice?  I'm assuming that I should approach the store I bought the game at and ask to see if they can test game and see if I can get a refund.  I am wondering if anyone else is having similar problems.  I know that there were issues like this during the game's European launch, but since it's just come out here in North America, I don't think many have gotten their hands on retail copies yet.

Thanks!

NIGHTFIRE5 3,412 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Apr 6, 2012 2:29 AM in response to: CATHRYNG
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles - Unable to read the disc

Have you tried using the Nintendo Wii Lens Cleaning Kit? And are there other Nintendo Wii games that you have that your Wii console isn't reading?

NIGHTFIRE5 3,412 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Apr 6, 2012 3:02 AM in response to: CATHRYNG

Some retail stores such as Best Buy or Game Stop (EB Games to you) still may carry the Lens Cleaning Kit in-store, but if they don't, you should be able to order one directly from Nintendo.

Yes, you did, however, to be fair, you did state, and I quote, "I have managed to find a couple earlier Wii titles and they are being recognized by my system fine".

To some, such as myself, there is a certain air of vagueness of how that could be taken, as in you could have a number of titles for your Nintendo Wii console but only have access to a handful of games, such as if you had recently moved for example. By chance though, what are the other two games that you have for your Nintendo Wii that it reads no problem?

NINTENMAN94 1,276 posts since
Feb 9, 2011
Apr 6, 2012 4:33 PM in response to: CATHRYNG

I'm fairly certain that the official cleaning kits are not sold in stores anymore, so if you would like to purchase one, you'll have to buy one online or off of Nintendo's online store.

The cleaning kit is usually the way to go in this case, as dual-layered discs, such as Xenoblade Chronicles, will tend to receive more disc read errors if your Wii's disc drive is a little dirty. However, if the cleaning kit does not help, then it would be a good idea to contact Nintendo about this by calling them at 1-800-255-3700 (open 6am to 7pm, 7 days a week), or e-mailing them via their webform.

AJLIII 4 posts since
Apr 6, 2012
Apr 6, 2012 6:41 PM in response to: CATHRYNG

I had this exact same problem, went back to GameStop, got home with a new disc, same thing. Was resigned to not getting to play this game that I'd so been looking forward to. Bummer.

My girlfriend got it working! Here is what she said she did - couldn't test this as the disc is now recognized by the system.

With the disc still in the drive, go to Wii>Wii Settings. Go to the third page and hit 'Wii System Update.' Let it go through it's rig-a-ma-roll, giving affirmative responses and you're in.

Hope this works for you!

***Edited to remove personal information. Please do not share personal information on our Tech Support Forums.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_YURI

SAILORCHIBIMOONFAN 3 posts since
Apr 6, 2012
Apr 6, 2012 10:10 PM in response to: AJLIII

Had the EXACT same thing happen to us as AJLIII, However, I'm the girlfriend in this one, lol. Anyway, I tried what AJLIII recommended, but it didn't work for us. Same problems, 'cannot read disk' error, went back to Gamestop and exchanged it, same problem. I tried updating it with the game in, nothing. Our system has always been flat, with inserting the game, lable up. My boyfriend ended up fixing it himself, because the game is duel layered, it's harder for the lazer to read the disk. Our sysem was also bought in 2007.

Solution:  He turned the system upside down, so the lazer would 'naturally' be forced to read the game easier. Now the games must be inserted with the lable facing down, since the system is upside down. He also wanted me to stress that this is only a temporary solution, and that the lazer will possibly die faster this way also, as a result. But at least he's playing his game! Hope this helps.

AJLIII 4 posts since
Apr 6, 2012
Apr 7, 2012 6:44 AM in response to: AJLIII

Okay, looks like this was a fluke. Basically it'll read the disc or it won't. I have to eject the disc, encourage the Wii with kind words, then re-insert the disc. Repeat until disc is recognized. Don't know why my system has such a problem, I had to send my system in and get the lazer upgraded when I bought Smash Brothers, and haven't had a bit of trouble since, til now...

GINOSE_P 1 posts since
Apr 7, 2012
Apr 7, 2012 11:22 AM in response to: AJLIII

I've got to go  with AJLIII on this one. It took me three tries of just removing and inserting the disc to get it to run. All of my other games went perfectly fine, but not "Xenoblade". Could it be a production error? Either way, it's obnoxious.

MYNICESCREENNAME 136 posts since
Jul 1, 2011
Apr 7, 2012 2:14 PM in response to: GINOSE_P

Xenoblade is working fine on my Wii, so it is not a production error.

I reccondmend everyone to update your Wii's firmware. Power down the Wii after update and try again.

If your Wii was modded, then that could be a possible issue.

AJLIII 4 posts since
Apr 6, 2012
Apr 7, 2012 5:53 PM in response to: MYNICESCREENNAME

S/W up to date. No mods, never have, never will. Had to insert the disk about seven times before my last play session.

BTW: the game rocks. Death (deactivation?) to all Mechs!!

Jul 1, 2011
Apr 7, 2012 8:41 PM in response to: AJLIII

I'm not accusing you of modding. But, some people mod their wii's or buy 3rd party accesories. Then come to the forums and complain about their Nintendo product isn't working.

On Topic:

How old is your Wii?

Is it the new model without GameCube compatibility?

Thanks to Operation Rainfall, Xenoblade: Chronicles was localized.

MARIO 3,191 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Apr 8, 2012 5:33 AM in response to: CATHRYNG

As has been said, the lens cleaning kit may be your best hope aside from a repair. It's not a matter of knowingly putting out discs that don't work, it's just that some systems may have accumulated too much dust for certain discs to be read correctly.

SAILORCHIBIMOONFAN 3 posts since
Apr 6, 2012
Apr 8, 2012 1:56 PM in response to: AJLIII

My comment was not a fluke. I just posted what happened, hoping to help others. We have also never used any mods or 3rd party accessories for our Wii. I have also never sent my system to Nintendo for any errors prior to this. First problem our system has had. The dust thing may be true, but my boyfriend used to work in a game store, that repaired PS2's. When they played on an old system, if they got desperate (the people who brought in their systems to be repaired), they'd try this technique and it worked (until they had the money to repair it properly), that's why my bf tried it for this game. I have Smash Bros and never had trouble with it.

Also, I update all of our systems regularly, so this is not the issue.

Message was edited by: SAILORCHIBIMOONFAN

AJLIII 4 posts since
Apr 6, 2012
Apr 8, 2012 9:12 PM in response to: SAILORCHIBIMOONFAN

SCMFan: the fluke I was talking about was that my first post appeared to have worked. While updating the system could help, mine was already up to date, and the system just happened to recognize the disk when it exited back to the Wii menu from the maintenance menu. Besides that the Xeno disk will update the system itself if necessary (IF the Wii can read the disc of course)...

I even tried the upside-down Wii, but it didn't work for me.

If it helps anyone else, my Wii is about as old as you can get, GC compatible. Repaired by Nintendo when I bought Smash Bros and that disc wouldn't load. I run it flat. Again, never modded.

I still have to repeatedly insert the disc, and it will occasionally go back to the Wii menu when I hit Start. Once I'm into the game it has never locked up or exited out. It plays until I quit.

As for those whose Wii have no problem with the game, I am very happy for you, but realize there is a (probably small) portion of your fellow Wii enthusiasts who have a real issue with this game. These same problems were also reported months ago when the European version was released.

Hopefully the wizards at Nintendo will pity us and come up with a definitive answer.

Jul 1, 2011
Apr 8, 2012 10:09 PM in response to: CATHRYNG

The official response from Nintendo

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts_games.jsp

Situation:

• The system is having issues reading the Game Disc.
  • Error messages and/or freezing during gameplay.
  • Audio Problems (sound skips, static sound, or any other intermittent sound problems).
  • Image problems (squares, lines or other shapes appearing on the  screen, image choppy or skipping, dots, any other intermittent image  problems).

What To Do:

• Check the non-printed side of the Game Disc for any dirt or damage. 
    • If the game looks significantly damaged, such as with scratches or cracks, it will need to be replaced. Please click here for our Game Disc replacement options.
    • If the game looks dirty (fingerprints, smudges), try cleaning the Game Disc. (How To)
  • A Wii Lens Cleaning Kit can be purchased to help keep the lens clean. 
    • Depending on the age of the system and the amount of contamination, the cleaning kit may not be able to resolve the issue.

Situation not resolved:

If you are still seeing error messages, there may be a problem with your Wii console and the system will need to be repaired. Click here to begin the repair process.

ZEROEDGEIR 1 posts since
Apr 11, 2012
Apr 12, 2012 8:08 AM in response to: CATHRYNG

Going to include similar history of my own with this game.

Bought my copy on April 5th (due to the Canadian holiday on the 6th), popped the game in, got the "Unable to Read Disc" error. Okay, it's dual layer, had this issue with SSBB and Metroid: Other M, I got the Lens Cleaner back when I got Other M, because of this issue. Popped it out, used it as directed, and hey, Xenoblade reads.

So, go to play the next day, Wii boots up, shows Xenoblade in the game drive, awesome, I hit play. Screen goes black, and back to the Wii Menu, now "Unable to Read Disc". Okay then... Lens Cleaner, repeat above, and it works again.

Been a couple days, decide to play for a bit tonite, and the above repeats, except now, I have used the Lens cleaner about 2-3 times, and it will not read Xenoblade. I even tested SSBB, Metroid: Other M, Skyward Sword, and SMG/SMG2, all read just fine, and spin up almost immediately. It is ONLY Xenoblade causing issues.

My Wii is one of the earliest ones, was bought in January of 2007. All updates are applied already too, so it is not that issue (and Xenoblade would have forced an update on first insert if it wasn't, as per the manual).

Hopefully, aside from JUST calling to send the system in for repair (which is beyond a hassle and a half), another option to properly solve this issue can be found. The idea of potentially losing the likely $300+ worth of Virtual Console games and Guitar Hero music, due to a repair, does not sit well with me.

UPDATE: On a whim, I went ahead and tried SailorChibiMoonFan's tactic of flipping the system so it is horizontally upside-down... and yeah, it read first try. I tried it vertical (which all other games read fine, even the other dual-layer), I tried horizontal, and then figured, screw it, what could it hurt. Lo and behold, it worked, first time in.

Provided updated status - ZEROEDGEIR

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Apr 12, 2012 4:03 PM in response to: ZEROEDGEIR
The idea of potentially losing the likely $300+ worth of Virtual Console games and Guitar Hero music, due to a repair, does not sit well with me.

Nintendo always transfers data like this to the repaired system.  Only corrupted data would cause you to lose all your downloads.

METALMARIO28 14 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Apr 24, 2012 12:05 PM in response to: MACHBIKER

What about save data? If my data is not corrupted at all, can I get all my data after a repair?

Oct 20, 2011
Apr 24, 2012 2:51 PM in response to: METALMARIO28

If the data is not corrupted, your save data will most likely be safe.  Nintendo warns that there is a chance that save data will be lost, however, and we don't know why because Nintendo is tight-lipped as to how they actually transfer the data to the repaired system.

NINTENDOEXPERT101 124 posts since
Mar 23, 2012
Apr 24, 2012 3:46 PM in response to: CATHRYNG

EB? EB Games?

Oct 20, 2011
Apr 24, 2012 3:52 PM in response to: NINTENDOEXPERT101

What about EB Games are you asking for?