Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
3,662 Views 2 Replies Last post: Apr 8, 2012 1:22 PM by BIGFRANK
RSS
JESSI-RAY 1 posts since
Apr 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 7, 2012 10:19 PM

Wii making terrible noises, disk read errors.

Hello all.

I rarely play my wii anymore, but I turned it on again a few months ago to play the Gamecube Game Killer7. It played fine, and I had no problems. About a month later, Skyward Sword came out and I played it and the wii started making really horrid loud noises. The game iteself played fine, but the wii was just really loud and obnoxcious. Still there was no disk damage. I figured the system was just starting to show its age (it's a first generation model, purchased the year the console came out).

Then my friend came over and wanted to do a speed run of Killer7. Killer7 is a two disk game cube game. I had no problem playing it, and the disk were in pristine condition, but the game gave him continueal disk read errors that were only solved by ejecting the disk and putting it back in. The game would reload and he'd be back in the spot where he had the error, free to continue from where he left off.

That was in January, and I had grown a bit concerned. As most of you know, Xenoblade came out yesterday and as a diehard fan of the Xeno- games and Monolithsoft, I had to have it. I was able to play about 45 minutes before getting a disk read error. I got it during one of the game tutorials, and unlike my friends experience with Killer7, I was unable to eject and reload. In fact my wii froze completely on the error screen, I had to unplug it to turn it off and only upon reseting the console could I get my Xenoblade disk out. I am quite sad that I'll be unable to play this gem of an RPG. I had been looking forward to it for months.

Anything I can try to fix my wii? How much would it cost me to get it repaired? Should I just buy a new one?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

MYNICESCREENNAME 136 posts since
Jul 1, 2011
Apr 7, 2012 10:29 PM in response to: JESSI-RAY
Re: Wii making terrible noises, disk read errors.

Try borrowing your friend's Wii to play Xenoblade. If you can play Xenoblade fine on your friend's Wii (assuming the Wii is in good condition), then something is wrong with your Wii. You can ask ask Nintendo to for further assitance or buy a new Wii. However, the newer models don't support GameCube games anymore.

But If your not desperate (I doubt it, you have Xenoblade ), I would wait for the Wii U to be released. Since it is backwards compatible, It can play Wii Games.

BIGFRANK 46 posts since
Apr 5, 2012
Apr 8, 2012 1:22 PM in response to: JESSI-RAY
Re: Wii making terrible noises, disk read errors.

Seems like your Wii has a very big problem with reading disks. You'll probably better call Nintendo and the number is 1-800-255-3700 It would cost $50 to repair it and don't let your Wii get fixed by any other retailers like Best Buy because they might screw something up with your Wii like losing downloaded games. You don't need to buy a new Wii because y'know you'll lose some of your downloaded games if you have and Nintendo could transfer it if it needs to be replaced.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)