Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (2 pts)
22,647 Views 17 Replies Last post: May 7, 2012 2:37 PM by BEARDEDONE
RSS
NINTENKEN81 16 posts since
Mar 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2012 12:22 PM

Nintendo 3DS has troubles with online games

Hi!

My son's 3DS is having trouble with online games. It stopped working about 2 or 3 weeks ago. eShop, Swapnote, internet browser, etc. works fine except the online multiplayer games. Let's take MK7 for example: When joining a community, it takes a lot of time to load and when it finally loads up, no one else cannot connect to that community until I leave it. And when I want to play online, it just doesn't find any open games.

I hope you understand what I mean

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
May 1, 2012 1:46 PM in response to: NINTENKEN81
Re: Nintendo 3DS has troubles with online games

First, delete and then reestablish your Internet connection.  If it still won't work, move as close as possible to the router.  If MK7 (or other games) still won't connect, go to your router's settings and set your broadcast channel to 1 or 11, and make sure you are broadcasting at mixed b/g.

This may be caused by a firewall, so you should disable that if there is one.  By any chance, are you using a router in a dormitory?

BEARDEDONE 1,636 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
May 2, 2012 11:10 PM in response to: NINTENKEN81

If you are running in mixed b/g/n mode, try changing it to mixed b/g mode.  I have had trouble with my Nintendo devices, as well as my laptop when my router was configured for b/g/n mode.

For most users, running with n mode enabled provides no benefit.  Wireless g mode operates at 54 Mbps, which is a higher bandwidth than most home users' internet connections.

The extension channel only applies when you have wireless n mode enabled (so you must be running mixed b/g/n).  To double bandwidth, n mode uses two channels instead of just one.  You can set the primary channel, but the extension channel must be 4 away from the primary channel.  If you are at one end of the spectrum (Channels 1 or 11) you only have one choice.  If you chose a channel in the middle (like 6) you would get a choice of two channels to use for the extension channel (2 or 10).

Apr 15, 2011
May 2, 2012 11:16 PM in response to: BEARDEDONE

One more thing:  your router's firewall could be blocking UDP traffic, which is required for peer-to-peer gaming.  Make sure the firewall is configured to allow all UDP traffic.

You could also temporarily the router's firewall to see if that fixes the problem.  If it does, it means that the firewall is blocking the traffic, and its configuration needs to be changed.

Apr 15, 2011
May 3, 2012 11:29 AM in response to: NINTENKEN81

Try changing the wireless mode from mixed b/g/n to mixed b/g first.

What model router do you have?

Apr 15, 2011
May 6, 2012 11:23 AM in response to: NINTENKEN81

I think your 3DS's MAC address is in the MAC filter's list because you are able to connect some apps.  The MAC filter should not be the issue.

It seems like it's a firewall issue, but I am having trouble finding detailed information about the configuartion tool.  There should be a way to go into the firewall settings and either allow all UDP traffic or disable the firewall altogether.

Another thing you can do is assign the 3DS a static IP address, then enable DMZ on your router, using the IP address of the 3DS.  This will allow the 3DS to access the internet directly, without going through the firewall. 

If you assign a static IP address to your 3DS, make sure you pick one that the router's DHCP server will not use.  For example, if your router will assign IP addresses in the range of 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.255, pick something outside that range, like 192.168.0.99.  You should be able to find the range of IP addresses in the DHCP server settings on your router.

Apr 15, 2011
May 7, 2012 12:38 PM in response to: NINTENKEN81
  1. go to your PC.
  2. open up a command prompt.  (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt)
  3. type ipconfig /all
  4. This will list information about all your network adapters.
  5. Find the wireless network adapter you use to connect to the internet.
  6. Write down the Gateway and DNS addresses listed and enter those into your 3DS (most likely, both will be the same).
Apr 15, 2011
May 7, 2012 1:35 PM in response to: NINTENKEN81

You mean that you created a DMZ, right?  When you say it doesn't work, is it still just the multiplayer that doesn't work?  Does your other internet stuff work (web browser, eShop)??

Apr 15, 2011
May 7, 2012 1:57 PM in response to: NINTENKEN81

You may not have entered the WEP key correctly on the 3DS, when you set it up with static IP address.

You may be able to get this resolved more quickly, if you call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 and have them help you troubleshoot over the phone.

Apr 15, 2011
May 7, 2012 2:37 PM in response to: NINTENKEN81

Sorry, WPA passphrase.  And yes, the 3DS supports WPA.  If you try to play old DS games on the 3DS, however, they will not work with your internet connection because they do not support WPA.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)