Skip navigation
10,427 Views 7 Replies Last post: May 22, 2012 12:35 AM by WOLFPAX
RSS
WOLFPAX 4 posts since
May 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 18, 2012 12:03 AM

3DS games and Nintendo Video in the Philippines

This question may have already been asked, but I just wanted to make double sure that my question's answered so I'm starting this new discussion.  I'm originally from San Diego, CA and I bought my 3DS there before I came over here to the Philippines.  Since I'll be staying here for quite some time, I brought my 3DS here with me and I realized that there is no Philippines in region settings.  I could connect via wi-fi and my games from the US work fine, however Nintendo Video is not available.  I'm also curious whether the games here will work on my 3DS.  I tried asking the sales reps from the stores here, but it seems that they're not that sure.  Now, I'm only assuming that it'll work fine because I think most 3DS units here are US units since it requires 120V of electricity, and the Philippines has 240V. 

Could anyone shed me some light so I could buy some games here if I need to buy one?  And is there anything we could do about Nintendo Video here in the Phlippines?  Thanks.

NIGHTFIRE5 3,529 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
May 18, 2012 2:10 AM in response to: WOLFPAX
Re: 3DS games and Nintendo Video in the Philippines

As far as purchasing Nintendo 3DS games goes, all Nintendo 3DS system are region-locked, meaning that a system from North America will only play Nintendo 3DS games that are from North America, and those games are generally only available for purchase in the United States and Canada. In theory though, any Nintendo 3DS game that features the "ESRB"'s rating logo should work on any North American Nintendo 3DS system. Remember though, while the Nintendo 3DS is region-locked as far as the Nintendo 3DS games are concerned, Nintendo DS games are not region-locked on the Nintendo 3DS, meaning you could play a Japanese copy of New Super Mario Bros. on your North America Nintendo 3DS system.

And as far as the Nintendo Video service is concerned, if I recall correctly, it has something to do with the IP Address your Nintendo 3DS system is connected to. Something like if the IP Address was outside of the Nintendo 3DS system's original region, then it wouldn't download the videos...or something like that, I think.

LUCKIE007 2 posts since
May 18, 2012
May 18, 2012 10:33 PM in response to: WOLFPAX

Have you attempted using proxy?

NIGHTFIRE5 3,529 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
May 20, 2012 12:18 AM in response to: WOLFPAX

I've been gaming for 20 years and I love Nintendo. What can I say? Ha ha.

As for region-locking the system, changing the "Settings" of the Nintendo 3DS wouldn't have any effect on that. There are a number of reasons though as to why. For example, region-locking can help with the pricing structure of games and consoles; each region can set their own price instead of having to see what the other regions are doing so they can get the most sales of a game or system. Another example is the content of the games, making it very difficult for games such as New Love Plus on the Nintendo 3DS to be played outside of Japan, where such a game would most likely gain an "M for Mature" rating by the ESRB. However, one thing that has been found is that region-locking can help cut-down on pirating. Region locking a system can help to make it very difficult for a fake copy of a video game to run.

Looking at the map though, it would be most logical for the Phillppines to get English Nintendo 3DS system from the PAL region, which would make sense as to why there is no "Phillppines" option on a Nintendo 3DS from North America.

GUMUK28 7 posts since
Apr 8, 2012
May 20, 2012 5:40 AM in response to: WOLFPAX

I'm in Indonesia and i can enjoy Nintendo Video...but you must use proxy for that..you can do this by inputing the proxy number on internet setting and also make sure you choose USA as your region on your profile. As for games i have no problem because asian region is the same as USA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)