Skip navigation
16,459 Views 13 Replies Last post: Aug 24, 2013 4:43 PM by BEARDEDONE
RSS
DIGITAL99X 2 posts since
May 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 20, 2012 5:30 PM

why did i get ripped off on 3DS eshop

I got 20 dollar prepayed card and i put the money on my 3DS and bought plants versus zombies for $7.99 and i wanted to buy Shantae: Risky's Revenge for $11.99i used my computer calculater before buying eather of these but after i bought plants verus zombie it said i had $11.57 which is wrong teh calculater said i would have $12.01 afterwords is there anyway to fix that liek call nintendo or something like that please respond soon

BEARDEDONE 1,636 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
May 21, 2012 10:56 AM in response to: DIGITAL99X
Re: why did i get ripped off on 3DS eshop

The eShop collects sales tax, too.  $7.99 is the base price, and the sales tax is added if you live in a state that has a sales tax.

For example, if you live in Minnesota, the sales tax is 6.875%.  If you buy a $7.99 game, you will be charged  $8.54:

Base Price      $ 7.99

Sales Tax      +$ 0.55

---------------------------------

Total               $ 8.54

Your remaing balance would then be $11.46:

Prepaid Card Ammount     $20.00

Total Purchase Price       -$ 8.54

-------------------------------------------------

Remaining Balance          $11.46

The eShop tells you what the total will be before you purchase, and it includes the sales tax.  Next time, please read the total before clicking the purchase button.

It looks like the sales tax in your state is 5.500%.  To calculate the total amount needed to purchase a game, multiply the base price by the sales tax (e.g. $7.99 x 0.055) to get the total sales tax.  Add that to the base price to get the total purchase price.

ETHANLIGHT 16 posts since
May 31, 2012
Jun 30, 2012 8:14 PM in response to: BEARDEDONE

my games have never gotten sales tax

SHIGERUMYAMOTOFAN13 214 posts since
Apr 4, 2010
Jul 8, 2012 12:03 AM in response to: ETHANLIGHT

What country and state/province do you live in? I live in Alberta and I do't have sales tax, but I have to pay 5% GST still. Also couldn't you just change your region to a place that doesn't have sales tax?

LINUX2GO 324 posts since
Aug 22, 2011
Jul 9, 2012 6:45 PM in response to: SHIGERUMYAMOTOFAN13

You can Choose a region that is tax free on the 3ds eShop. Alaska has no sales tax on the 3ds eshop. I live in Minnesota but have my region set to Alaska as I should not have to pay sales tax on online purchases from Nintendo since they do not have a "brick and mortar" store in MN.

PSN and Xbox Live do not have online sales Tax in Minnesota so why should Nintendo get to.

SHIGERUMYAMOTOFAN13 214 posts since
Apr 4, 2010
Jul 9, 2012 11:04 PM in response to: LINUX2GO

Living in Canada, the cheapest I can do is choose Alberta or one of the territories. I tested switching to a US state, but I have to put in a zip code and I would have to use an american credit card or Nintendo points card to add money.

Apr 15, 2011
Jul 24, 2012 11:43 PM in response to: LINUX2GO

LINUX2GO  wrote:

...I should not have to pay sales tax on online purchases from Nintendo since they do not have a "brick and mortar" store in MN.

Technically, you are obligated by Minnesota law to pay sales tax on all taxable purchases (including downloadable games) even if the vendor is not required to collect the tax:  http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individuals/use_tax_individ/Pages/Individual_Use_Tax.aspx

ABC1224 2 posts since
Aug 22, 2013
Aug 25, 2013 9:50 AM in response to: BEARDEDONE

DUDE nintendo is the only videogame service i know that adds sales sax i was like 1 cent short of a perchess because of sales tax and to top it off they never have slaes and if they do have sales it games like dsi ware this is why i like sony they give you free games HUGE saving and like over 100 games on sale for months that people CARE ABOUT!!!.

***Edited to remove inappropriate language.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_MIKA

DONKEYKONG00 426 posts since
Mar 23, 2012
Jul 24, 2012 9:40 PM in response to: DIGITAL99X

Lol.

The problem is tax-I thought the same thing when i first bought my first eShop software, then im like "what??? you have to pay tax????"

Well the thing is, you didnt pay tax for the card at the store so your going to have to pay tax somewhere.

ABC1224 2 posts since
Aug 22, 2013
Aug 25, 2013 9:50 AM in response to: DIGITAL99X

Why does nintendo add sales tax i think of them as the disney of video games im drading in my 3dsxl for a ps vita because ps4 supports crossplay so i can play kingdom hearts 3 on ps vita

***Edited to remove inappropriate language.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_MIKA

MARIO 3,192 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Aug 22, 2013 7:10 PM in response to: ABC1224

Nintendo has to add sales tax.

SNESNESCUBE64 1,127 posts since
Aug 4, 2012
Aug 22, 2013 8:07 PM in response to: ABC1224

Why are you crying about sales tax? Oh god it adds another 6-8 cents per dollar. Sorry but it seems pointless. Cross play, i would love to see that but it is kinda pointless because you need both copies of the same game. Disney, i cannot stand but think about it, microsoft nickels and dimes you death and then spits on you. Ive never had a problem with a nintendo consoles. Why are you even complaining? If you have a problem sell the console.

2MBCARTRIDGE 134 posts since
Jun 29, 2013
Aug 24, 2013 1:35 PM in response to: SNESNESCUBE64

Furthermore, it's not like Nintendo WANTS to charge you tax; it's that they HAVE to. Otherwise the IRS/CRA would shut them down. They don't get the money, the government does, so you should take your concerns to your local member of government. After all, in the very early days of ecommerce, they didn't charge tax.

Apr 15, 2011
Aug 24, 2013 4:43 PM in response to: 2MBCARTRIDGE

Actually, in the US, Nintendo is NOT required to charge sales tax for online orders unless they operate out of the state where the purchase was made.  There may be other countries that require that Nintendo collects the sales tax, but they do not have to in the US.

I'm not sure why they collect the sales tax.  Valve doesn't collect sales tax with their Steam service.  Amazon doesn't collect sales tax for orders made on their site.  Perhaps they collect the sales tax just so they don't have to worry about violating any laws, or they just want to be consistent with other countries where they are required to charge the sales tax.  If you want to know for sure, you can ask Nintendo here:  http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform/index.jsp

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)