Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
23,916 Views 4 Replies Last post: May 16, 2010 9:50 AM by ONE-OF-THREE
RSS
2 posts since
Apr 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2010 7:52 PM

Wii Freezing... Can it be fixed?

Hello all. I am having an issue that I hope can be fixed without costly repairs. Here's what is happening: Upon loading a game, usually within the first few minutes of playing, the Wii will freeze. If it doesn't freeze in about 10 minutes, it works fine for hours. The problem is that it isn't just one game. Many of my games, including some new ones, have this issue. I have blown compressed air into the console to remove dust, and it made no change. Also, this only happens with disc-based games. All my downloaded games work perfectly.

The big problem is that my Wii is a Nov. 2006 launch model, so my warranty has long since expired. Any suggestions from the community?

CANYOUHELPME 4 posts since
Apr 20, 2010
Apr 21, 2010 1:46 PM in response to: SEGMASTER
Re: Wii Freezing... Can it be fixed?

Does it work for a few minutes and then the screen turns blank? Just all black? No, games on it or anything?... That's whats hapenning to mine too..... >:(

ONE-OF-THREE 6,196 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Apr 21, 2010 9:42 AM in response to: SEGMASTER

Unfortunately, but it sounds like there is some type of firmware problem with your console, which is not allowing it to fully load the system files that are needed to make the console function properly, or perhaps that the Flash memory is starting to fail and it can no longer read the system files.

And sorry, but that may mean that your console will have to be repaired, as there really ins't anything you can do to corect it.

So give a call to Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number, and they will do some troubleshooting with you and perhaps they might have a solution that will fix your console, but if not, they can tell you what the cost of the repair will be and you can make your decision if you want them to go ahead and set up the repair.:)

1 posts since
May 16, 2010
May 16, 2010 8:54 AM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

I do know there is a problem with "just dance".  Nintendo probably put new antipiracy chips in the new WII's and this problem is only happening with old wii's.

People who have owned the system for a long time are going to have to pay to have our old wii systems updated.  Sweet huh?

I think I'm going to ask some of tech sites on the internet to look into the problem and see if this is indeed the problems.

If Nintendo updated their antipiracy chip and is putting the cost on us, then maybe we Wii owners can get a class action suit together.

Well Nintedo, is there or is there not a new anti piracy chip that keeps our old wii's from playing new games?  I would like a Nintendo person to answer this question please.

Thank you.

ONE-OF-THREE 6,196 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
May 16, 2010 9:50 AM in response to: RXRXRX

RXRXRX  wrote:

I do know there is a problem with "just dance".  Nintendo probably put new antipiracy chips in the new WII's and this problem is only happening with old wii's.

People who have owned the system for a long time are going to have to pay to have our old wii systems updated.  Sweet huh?

I think I'm going to ask some of tech sites on the internet to look into the problem and see if this is indeed the problems.

If Nintendo updated their antipiracy chip and is putting the cost on us, then maybe we Wii owners can get a class action suit together.

Well Nintedo, is there or is there not a new anti piracy chip that keeps our old wii's from playing new games?  I would like a Nintendo person to answer this question please.

Thank you.

I do not work for Nintendo, nor do I know the full system specifications on the Wii console, but I do not believe there is an actual "antipiracy chip" inside of the console, but it is a program or programs within the system files/firmware which controls whether or not certain video games (pirated, counterfeit or from other regions...among other reasons) can not be played on the console.

And the reason why I believe that, is with most firmware updates such as the latest "4.2" firmware, also update the abilities for the console to detect those type of video games, plus when the firmware has been modified by someone or a third-party company, such as in the case for game cheating or other for uses that Nintendo never intended the console to be used for.

But if you want a direct response from someone from Nintendo, give a call to Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number, or use their webform to contact them, and one of the Nintendo empoyees who has a lot more knowledge then I could give you the information about this.

And also help figure out why you (and others) are having problems with the "Just Dance" video game too.:)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)