Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
4,706 Views 2 Replies Last post: Sep 8, 2013 2:34 PM by MOUNTAINGAL308
RSS
KCALLAIS80 1 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2012 2:04 PM

DSi Not turning on, horrible customer support

Nintendo,

My daughter's 8 month old DSi stopped turning on. Amber light is on when the charger is plugged in. The battery has a good charge as well. I called tech support and was told to send it in. I sent in the unit, and ~7 days later I recieved an email about the DSi being scratched. I called Nintendo and the tech support people told me the system is not turning on because it is scratched and would be $75 to repair it. Being an electrician of sorts, I called ** on it and asked specifically what is causing the system not to turn on. I was told that a supervisor would call back in 2 days with that info. 4 days later I get another email asking what I want them to do with the DSi. Again I call tech support and ask why I wasnt called back with the info the first support person said I would get. No one had any idea. I was again told the system would not turn on due to scratches. Again, I called ** and asked what specifically was causing the system not to power up. Again I was told a supervisor would call me with the info. Today I spoke to someone at the Nintendo Consumer Admin Division (or something along those lines). I was told that a scratch on the case was causing the shoulder button to engage, and this was causing the system not to work. I grabbed my other daughter's DSi to test this....and debunked Nintendo's theory. The system WILL power on with the shoulder buttons engaged. I asked again for someone to call and tell me WHY it wont power on.

After much reading/research, it really seems like a large amount of people have this not powering up problem. Nintendo, why are you ignoring this? In my case, it seems as if you are searching for a reason for the faulty DSi to not be your concern. Why do I have to pay $75 for you to fix YOUR product that is not working as advertised? Why are YOUR people giving me the run around? Between 3 DSi's for the kids, one for the wife, a Wii with multiple peripherals, and multiple games for each platform, I have spent over $2000 in the last 12 months alone and this is how a faithful customer is rewarded? As it stands, I will never buy from you again, nor will I EVER recommend one of your products. If this issue is not resolved soon, I will be contacting the BBB and my state's Consumer Affairs Division.

Thank you,

A Very Dissatisfied Customer

AMAZO 3 posts since
Jun 27, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 4:13 PM in response to: KCALLAIS80
Re: DSi Not turning on, horrible customer support

Sorry, but the DSi is not that resilient. Has your daughter dropped the DSi much? If so, the system would scratch quite easily, and the battery could rattle out of place. That's all I can really come up with for an answer. Also, in my experiences, Nintendo support has been very helpful, so it is possible that you could be wrong about what is causing the power outage.

MOUNTAINGAL308 1 posts since
Sep 5, 2013
Sep 8, 2013 2:34 PM in response to: KCALLAIS80
Re: DSi Not turning on, horrible customer support

Hi,

just wondering if your case was ever resolved (through BBB or otherwise)?

I have the EXACT SAME problem as you described with my granddaughter's DSi

(the amber light staying on when the charger is plugged in, and the unit not turning on

even thoiugh the battery is fully charged)

and we received the EXACT SAME ** response from Nintendo!

My husband is a Master Electronics Technician with over 15 years experience,

I myself have built/re-built over a dozen computers from "scratch", so it's not like we

don't know what we're talking about when we tried to explain to the Nintendo Tech reps that

"a scratch" in the outer casing could not possible cause these problems.

There is NO "crack" in the unit's housing anywhere!!!!!

I also have found numerous posts online, from people experiencing this exact same problem,

and being told the exact same "fairytale" after they had sent the defective unit back to Nintendo for repair.

Personally, I think this is a scam by Nintendo, telling customers that their problems are caused

by "abuse", so they don't have to honor any warranty issues.

Just wondering how many customers they have already screwed out of $75....not this customer,

and my granddaughter will get a replacement DSi from one of the local Pawn Shops instead,

for around $30, that will work just as long as the brand new unit which lasted LESS THAN a year!!!

Thanks for nothing, Nintendo!

Another Very Dissatisfied Customer

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)