Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

3 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
40,897 Views 15 Replies Last post: Jun 19, 2014 10:20 AM by TINKERBELL1616
RSS
METALLICGAMER 5 posts since
Jul 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 20, 2012 12:43 PM

"An error has occured. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again. For help, visit support.nintendo.com."

Hello nintendo I have a problem with my nintendo 3DS, it says "An error has occured, Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again. For help, visit support.nintendo.com. Every time I turn it on it either blinks off without warning or it says that after a few seconds of it being on. This product is defective, it has done this the first day I got it only done it once then so I thought oh probably just because its cold then a few months later it keeps doing it over and over and over again. Help me fix this and is there anyway I can get a refund or a new system that I can transfer all my data to and finish buying my games I want to play heroes of ruin! I would've bought it but whats the use if this (Bleep) keeps shutting down without warning. Then says those words.

MARIO 3,213 posts since
Apr 7, 2010

You can call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 to set up a repair. The system comes with a one year warranty, which can be extended 90 days by registering the system on Club Nintendo. If you go this route any content purchased through the eShop should be saved.

MARIO 3,213 posts since
Apr 7, 2010

I don't know if that's an option. You will probably just be asked to send in the old system for the repair. You can get more information when you call to set up the repair.

MARIO 3,213 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011

Here is how:

Using a comercially available SD Card Reader or SD Card Slot on a PC:

1. Insert the SD Card into the SD Card slot or the SD Card reader/writer.
  2. Open "My Computer."
  3. Right click the SD Card Reader.
  4. Select reformat.
  5. If the program requests which file system to use, select FAT 16.
  6. Once the PC completes the process the SD card will be reformatted.

Using a digital camera or other device:

1. Insert the SD Card and turn on the device.
  2. Access the device's Menu
  3. Find either "Setup" or "Options."
  4. Select Format.
  5. If the device requests which file system to use, select FAT16.
  6. Once the device completes the process the SD card will be reformatted.

Remember, though, that formatting the SD Card deletes all data.

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011

Formatting the SD Card deletes all data that is stored on the card.  I suggest that you do not do it, since the problem might not be with your SD Card.

The best option is to get a repair, which you have already set up.

LINUX2GO 324 posts since
Aug 22, 2011

Formatting the SD card deletes everything on the SD card. This includes DSiware that you moved to the SD Card. Game saves are stored on the game cart itself so those will be fine. Formatting the SD Card will also delete games/demos from the eShop that were saved to the SD Card. those can be redownloaded from the eShop afterward.

DEEZYD3DS 1 posts since
Dec 22, 2012

We just bought Super Mario 3D Land and it won't play.  We get the message listed above.  Other games play fine. Any suggestions?

ONE-OF-THREE 6,041 posts since
Apr 1, 2010

DEEZYD3DS  wrote:

We just bought Super Mario 3D Land and it won't play.  We get the message listed above.  Other games play fine. Any suggestions?

If this only occurs with the one video game, then it might be just a problem with your copy of Super Mario 3D Land and not something wrong with your 3DS.

Is it possbile that you could try this game on another 3DS to see if it can be played on their system?

ZELDAFAN293 42 posts since
May 25, 2012

I've done some research and I have found out that this is called "The Black Screen of Death," and that there is no way to resolve this issue right at this time. Nintendo is investigating this problem at the moment. I have took time to research and call Nintendo for you at this time.

DESPERATEWHITEGUT 2 posts since
Sep 20, 2012

Same thing happened to me. Try to turn off your wireless button that worked for me.

TINKERBELL1616 115 posts since
Sep 3, 2013

It is due to the cartridge or disc being damaged severely.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)