Skip navigation
7,342 Views 7 Replies Last post: Jul 29, 2012 8:35 AM by MACHBIKER
RSS
DSLITE7 536 posts since
May 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 28, 2012 3:34 PM

SD Card Questions

I had a few questions about the SD Card in the 3DS.

1.  I was putting my music onto the SD Card when it said that there was no more room.  I was thinking about upgrading to a better one when I found out about digital releases, but I'm not sure how to do this.  How do I transfer files from one SD Card to another?  Will it wipe my game saves/photos/etc?

2.  Does the Music Channel always take a while when loading music from the SD Card?

Thanks in advance!

ONE-OF-THREE 6,075 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Jul 28, 2012 4:36 PM in response to: DSLITE7
Re: SD Card Questions

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/ht_settings.jsp

How to Transfer Data Between SD Cards

Description:

Step by step instructions on how to transfer data from one SD Card to another SD Card.

Important Note!

Need: Two compatible SD cards or SDHC cards

Need: An SD Card slot on a PC or Mac or a commercially available SD card reader/writer

Do Not: Alter, move, or erase files in the Nintendo 3DS folder.

Do Not: Overwrite data by recopying to the same SD card.

What to do:

1. Insert the SD card with the Nintendo 3DS data into the SD card slot or the SD card reader/writer.

2. Open Windows Explorer (for PC) or Finder (for Mac) and access the SD card.

3. Highlight the data and drag it to the desktop.

4. Eject the first SD card.

5. Insert the second SD card into the slot or reader/writer.

6. Using Windows Explorer or Finder, locate and access the SD card again.

7. Drag the data from the desktop to the second SD card.

Related Articles:

How to Save Music Files to an SD Card
How to Transfer Data To SD Cards

Now as to whether "Will it wipe my game saves/photos/etc?", no nothing should be wiped, as for the game saves are saved on the cartridges themselves.

And for your second question, how long is "a while", as on mine it takes about 15 seconds for the music to load and that is for approximately 200 songs, if you have more, then I would expect that time might be longer.

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Jul 28, 2012 4:37 PM in response to: DSLITE7

It takes a few seconds to load some of my tracks on the 3DS Sound application.  Exactly how long is it taking you to load music?  Have you noticed that it takes longer when the track itself is longer?

Here is how to transfer files from one SD Card to another.  I recommend that you make your new SD Card 8GB, or at least 16GB if you plan on downloading any full games like New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Need: Two compatible SD cards or SDHC cards

Need: An SD Card slot on a PC or Mac or a commercially available SD card reader/writer

Do Not: Alter, move, or erase files in the Nintendo 3DS folder.

Do Not: Overwrite data by recopying to the same SD card.

What to do:

1. Insert the SD card with the Nintendo 3DS data into the SD card slot or the SD card reader/writer.
  2. Open Windows Explorer (for PC) or Finder (for Mac) and access the SD card.
  3. Highlight the data and drag it to the desktop.
  4. Eject the first SD card.
  5. Insert the second SD card into the slot or reader/writer.
  6. Using Windows Explorer or Finder, locate and access the SD card again.
  7. Drag the data from the desktop to the second SD card.
CM223 25 posts since
Mar 18, 2012
Jul 29, 2012 8:26 AM in response to: DSLITE7

Obviously a high class. 4GB+

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Jul 29, 2012 8:35 AM in response to: DSLITE7
I was considering a few digital  releases; would 16gb be enough for,  let's say, 2 digital release games  and have enough for eShop games,  songs, pictures, etc?

16 GB should be enough for all of that, although Nintendo has not yet said how many blocks of memory NSMB2 will take up.  Unfortunately, we will not know exactly how much memory a full-length game will take until the release date (August 19).

If I put a lot  of stuff on my SD Card, will my 3DS lag?

The more data that is put on any SD Card, the more time it takes to access things.  This will only affect the initial load time for when you open up the Camera or Sound applications.  During actual gameplay, and during the viewing of photos or songs, there should not be any lag.  In any case, the wait time will be minimal.

Also, how does class rate into an SD Card?  Should I get one with a high class or a low class?

Most commercially available SD Cards can be Class 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10.  This refers to the write speed of the SD Card, and isn't directly related to the memory capacity.  For the purposes of the 3DS, write speed really doesn't matter.  The 2GB SD Card that comes with the system is Class 2, and there has never been a problem with it.  I have also used a Class 4 8GB card and a Class 10 16 GB card, and it seems to me that each of my SD Cards operate at the same speed when used on the 3DS.

One more thing: I just checked, and I have used 1.24 GB of my SD Card's memory, and I have downloaded dozens of games and videos.

DONKEYKONG00 426 posts since
Mar 23, 2012
Jul 29, 2012 9:52 AM in response to: DSLITE7

I think my discussion might break a record for giving a link to the same question!

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/70430#70430

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)