14,410 Views 24 Replies Last post: Aug 7, 2012 5:39 PM by EARTHBOUND33
RSS
FLAMEZERO 2 posts since
Aug 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 7, 2012 9:15 AM

3DS Region Lock

Hello everyone!

Let me get straight to the point here, will nintendo ever release a non-region lock 3DS? Since I don't want to spend extra just to get a japanese 3DS. I currently have an asian 3DS and frankly I am sad because I can't play the good japanese games that are out there which I know they will never localize into english.

Cheers!

_TANIS_ 1,712 posts since
Apr 24, 2010
Aug 7, 2012 9:24 AM in response to: FLAMEZERO
Re: 3DS Region Lock

While we cannot say for certain (none of us work for Nintendo, nor can those who do work for Nintendo divulge such information), it would be pretty safe to assume that Nintendo will not be releasing an unlocked version.

The 3DS marked the first time Nintendo has region-locked a handheld unit, and I don't see any reason they would change their region-locking plans again.

Your best option is to purchase an American or European unit that will work with the games you want to play. You can find great deals on these on sites such as Amazon.

TYLER645 1,015 posts since
Oct 9, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 9:51 AM in response to: FLAMEZERO

FLAMEZERO  wrote:

Let me get straight to the point here, will nintendo ever release a non-region lock 3DS?

Nobody knows for sure. I doubt Nintendo will release a non-region locked 3DS, as it is the first handheld Nintendo has ever released with region-lock.

Places like Amazon would be the best place to shop for a 3DS that is American or European.

EARTHBOUND33 2,270 posts since
Jul 1, 2010
Aug 7, 2012 9:56 AM in response to: TYLER645

i'm not sure if you already knew this TYLER645, but just as a friendly reminder we're not supposed to link to external websites here. it's against the rules, so a mod might see that and remove the link. so just try to avoid doing that in the future

FITHEMASTERSWORD 1,458 posts since
Jan 16, 2012
Aug 7, 2012 9:59 AM in response to: EARTHBOUND33

Well, I've heard that the linked websites should follow the terms and conditions, as if it was another post (like the website shouldn't have profanity, etc.).

Also, this is just me, but I don't see a problem with linking if it helps with the discussion.

Oct 9, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 10:01 AM in response to: FI THE MASTER SWORD

I don't see a problem in it either, but I'll check the rules real quick and get back to you guys.

Oct 9, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 10:07 AM in response to: FI THE MASTER SWORD

I checked the rules, and this is what it said.

10. Do not advertise other websites in this community. Creating threads or posts asking for others to visit another website is not allowed and may result in the message being deleted or termination of your Club Nintendo account.

I guess I should remove the link then. What do you guys think?

FITHEMASTERSWORD 1,458 posts since
Jan 16, 2012
Aug 7, 2012 10:37 AM in response to: TYLER645

Well, it's not like you're directly saying, "BUY THIS GAME!"

The rule says if the discussion is created solely to tell people to visit a website, it's against the rules. However, this is moreso the event of, "This website can help you out." I don't see anything wrong.

Jul 1, 2010
Aug 7, 2012 10:38 AM in response to: FI THE MASTER SWORD

As _TANIS_ said, it is okay to post an external link in this situation, as it is relevent and is helpful to the problem at hand.

NOA_TECH_MIKA 394 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Aug 7, 2012 12:57 PM in response to: EARTHBOUND33

Hi guys,

Just to jump in real quick.

If the purpose of linking an external website is specifically for advertising some unsupported product or process, or just for personal gain (i.e. come visit my blog please, or please buy my stuff, etc), then that's not allowed. If we're talking about linking a website that's helpful to the discussion and relevant in some way (as long as it doesn't contain profanity, sharing of personal information, etc) then we're okay.  In other words, the link you posted is okay.

Hope this helps!

Oct 9, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 5:17 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_MIKA

Thanks for the information Mika!

Jul 1, 2010
Aug 7, 2012 5:39 PM in response to: NOA_TECH_MIKA

Alright thanks for clearing up my confusion of that rule, Mika

Oct 9, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 10:00 AM in response to: EARTHBOUND33

Oh, sorry, I knew about that, but I thought Amazon was a trustable website, so we could give a link. I'll change that right now.

Thanks EARTHBOUND33!!

Jul 1, 2010
Aug 7, 2012 10:06 AM in response to: TYLER645

That's okay! i also believe that we should be able to link to certain websites such as amazon and ebay, but i'm just stating the rules is all

Oct 9, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 10:10 AM in response to: EARTHBOUND33

I posted what the terms and conditions said in another post.

Today's really been a great day on here!

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 10:09 AM in response to: TYLER645

Here is an excerpt from the TOS:

10. Do not advertise other websites in this community. Creating threads  or posts asking for others to visit another website is not allowed and  may result in the message being deleted or termination of your Club  Nintendo account.

I will note, however, that I sometimes link to outside websites, and they are not removed.  As long as the site is legitimate, in that it does not have vulgarity and it serves a useful purpose that supports a post, it seems that linking to another site is tolerated.

Oct 9, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 10:11 AM in response to: MACHBIKER

I guess I'll just leave my link up and see what happens I guess.

Jul 1, 2010
Aug 7, 2012 10:12 AM in response to: MACHBIKER

MACHBIKER  wrote:

Here is an excerpt from the TOS:

10. Do not advertise other websites in this community. Creating threads  or posts asking for others to visit another website is not allowed and  may result in the message being deleted or termination of your Club  Nintendo account.

I will note, however, that I sometimes link to outside websites, and they are not removed. As long as the site is legitimate, in that it does not have vulgarity and it serves a useful purpose that supports a post, it seems that linking to another site is tolerated.

Wow i didn't know that! I always try to avoid linking external websites completely maybe i'll start doing that, where it's necessary.

_TANIS_ 1,712 posts since
Apr 24, 2010
Aug 7, 2012 10:13 AM in response to: EARTHBOUND33

The Tech Support Forums Terms of Service make for a very quick read.

Linking to other websites does not violate the terms.

However, beware of item 10:

10. Do not advertise other websites in this community. Creating threads or posts asking for others to visit another website is not allowed and may result in the message being deleted or termination of your Club Nintendo account.

While mentioning one or two possibilities for buying a product does not (in my opinion, of course) violate this rule, excessively promoting a certain website would certainly violate the rule.

In this case, I don't see any reason to worry!

The rule is more intended for spammers who post links to completely unrelated websites in an effort to promote a service or product.

Jul 1, 2010
Aug 7, 2012 10:15 AM in response to: _TANIS_

_TANIS_  wrote:

The rule is more intended for spammers who post links to completely unrelated websites in an effort to promote a service or product.

Oh now it makes more sense. that's usually what the spammers do on here.

Oct 9, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 10:19 AM in response to: _TANIS_

_TANIS_  wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. As EARTHBOUND33 said, spammers usually do that kind of stuff. I wasn't on the other night when that spammer was spamming. Everyone's talking about it, so it was probably huge! Too bad I wasn't here to help.

Jul 1, 2010
Aug 7, 2012 10:25 AM in response to: TYLER645

It was just the typical spammer posting an identical post onto multiple threads about an external website and free stuff. But he was soon reported and taken care of by a mod the next morning. User mods would have been very helpful in that situation.

But this is getting really chatty, really fast. OP, just pay attention to he first two posts in this thread. They will probably be the only ones that will assist you and your problem.

Oct 9, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 10:26 AM in response to: EARTHBOUND33

EARTHBOUND33  wrote:

It was just the typical spammer posting an identical post onto multiple threads about an external website and free stuff. But he was soon reported and taken care of by a mod the next morning. User mods would have been very helpful in that situation.

Yeah, they would've. I hope Jane will give us the news soon!

Oct 9, 2011
Aug 7, 2012 10:27 AM in response to: EARTHBOUND33

Yeah, this is kind of getting a little chatty.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)