Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
11,713 Views 8 Replies Last post: Aug 8, 2012 5:52 PM by TYLER645
RSS
PIKAYOSHIGIRL 2 posts since
Aug 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 7, 2012 10:10 PM

Wii keeps shutting off...

I have a new Wii now, so this really isn't a current issue, but I remember that my old Wii would always turn off and I never knew why it would. I wanted to start this topic to figure out if anyone else had this problem.

It started happening last year. After a power outage we had in 2011 due to a hurricane, my Wii would suddenly shut off whenever I was playing a game. Sometimes after an hour, sometimes after 5 minutes. It would just shut off without warning. Somehow, I solved the problem by switching outlets, and it stopped doing that.

Last month, we lost our power again, and the same thing happened. My Wii would keep shutting off without warning. I thought I could fix the problem by switching outlets, but no matter which outlet I used (I used 5 different ones!) it would keep doing it. My SNES and N64 still worked fine, so I figured it was an internal problem with the wii.

I tried resetting the AC adaptor, but that wouldn't work either. I even bought a new adaptor, but it still kept shutting off.

Is this a common problem with the Wii? I tried everything to fix it...I even opened it up. I didn't want to spend $80 to send it away. I bought a used Wii for $50 and it works fine.

I just wish I knew what happened to the old Wii I had.

EARTHBOUND33 2,270 posts since
Jul 1, 2010
Aug 8, 2012 5:53 AM in response to: PIKAYOSHIGIRL
Re: Wii keeps shutting off...

To answer your question: no, it is not a very common problem as far as i know. but here are some fixes i found that you could try:

AC adapter reset

Most power issues with the Wii can be fixed by resetting the AC adapter. Unplug the AC adapter from both the outlet and the console and let it sit for at least 2 minutes. Plug both ends back in, making sure that the adapter is plugged directly into a wall outlet, not a surge protector or power strip.

Bad third party accessory

An accessory of low manufacturing quality may cause damage to the console. If you have any accessories connected to your Wii when it unexpectedly shuts off, unplug the accessory and follow the above instructions to reset the AC adapter.

Lack of ventilation

The Wii shuts down if a lack of ventilation causes the system to overheat. Check the vents on the back of the console for a build-up of dust and debris. If there is a lot of dust, use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to remove the dust. Place your hand behind the Wii while it is powered on and make sure the fan is blowing air; otherwise, you should replace the fan.

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Aug 8, 2012 1:43 PM in response to: PIKAYOSHIGIRL
I've also put it in different places, but I usually lay it flat. The fan's working, so it can't be the fan. I think it might just be a faulty wire?

Perhaps it is a faulty fuse or a damaged CPU.  At this point, there isn't really any way to fix the myriad things that could be wrong.  I would normally suggest that you send it in to Nintendo for a replacement, but you already bought a new Wii.  I suggest that you simply use the used Wii in the meantime.

EARTHBOUND33 2,270 posts since
Jul 1, 2010
Aug 8, 2012 1:47 PM in response to: PIKAYOSHIGIRL

I think the storms probably damaged the wii internally. Power surges are not good for electrical devices. It could have even possibly fried it. But i would just use the replacement for now. Just in the future, if you hear of any electrical storms, try to unplug your wii during the storm so the power surges don't damage it.

ALEX762 970 posts since
Jul 23, 2012
Aug 8, 2012 2:44 PM in response to: EARTHBOUND33

Yeah it could be the storms

TYLER645 1,015 posts since
Oct 9, 2011
Aug 8, 2012 2:54 PM in response to: EARTHBOUND33

Yeah, if you hear of a storm, make sure you unplug everything including laptops, phones, etc.

CPM 1,239 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Aug 8, 2012 4:36 PM in response to: PIKAYOSHIGIRL

you will have to send the wii in for repairs to do so call nintendo at 1-800-255-3700.

TYLER645 1,015 posts since
Oct 9, 2011
Aug 8, 2012 5:52 PM in response to: CPM

Or contact Nintendo by their webform.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)