Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
24,320 Views 3 Replies Last post: Apr 22, 2010 7:50 PM by ONE-OF-THREE
RSS
3 posts since
Apr 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 22, 2010 6:45 PM

Wii not generating sound - help

Suddenly our Wii is no longer generating any sound except for sound effects on the remote. We plugged it into 2 different video inputs and one component input on the TV (Toshiba Regza 42XV540U). Is this likely a Wii problem or a TV problem? If it's a Wii problem, can it be fixed? I fond it hard to believe that BOTH video inputs are no good and one component input is also no good on the TV so i suspect it is a Wii problem. Anyone else ever have this happen? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ONE-OF-THREE 4,765 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Apr 22, 2010 6:54 PM in response to: SACHFAM
Re: Wii not generating sound - help

Yes, it is possible for the Wii console to develop some type of sound card problem, but one thing I would check first is that the red and white audio outputs are hooked up correctly to your TV and also that the cables are undamaged, as it is always possible for them to break, or be chewed by a family pet or something.:)

And if you do not find any visible damage, if possible try another set of A/V cables and that will confirm whether or not it is a cable or console problem.

And if it turns out to be the console, then give a call to Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number, or use their webform  to contact them, and they can set up the repair process for you.:)

ONE-OF-THREE 4,765 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Apr 22, 2010 7:50 PM in response to: SACHFAM
Re: Wii not generating sound - help

SACHFAM  wrote:

I appreciate the quick reply. The sound stopped working mid-game so the cables were plugged in correctly. I double-checked anyway and they were fine. I also bought a new cable (the component cable) and still no sound (but picture is fine). No visible damage and no pets to chew on the cable. Just wondering if sound card problems are common on the Wii and what type of repair price I may be looking at (worst case and best case). Cheers.

Sorry that the new cables didn't correct this, but no, a sound card problem doesn't seem to be that common, as it is rarely asked about here.

And as to the repair price, if your console is under a year old, then it would be still covered by the one year long manufacturing warranty and the repair would be free of charge, but if the warranty has now expired, then it usually runs around $75.

But once you contact Nintendo, one of the service representatives will be able to give you the exact price and you can decide if you want them to go ahead and set up the repair or not.:)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)