Skip navigation
38,212 Views 5 Replies Last post: Aug 30, 2012 7:28 AM by NETBANJEE
RSS
FALZ 1 posts since
Aug 28, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2012 4:49 PM

Can I play 3DS games I've downloaded on another 3DS?

I have had a 3DS since launch and am now planning on purchasing a new 3DS XL. I'm using the Gamestop trade in program which lets you get $100 off the XL if you give them your old 3DS. I would like to know, if I copy my 3DS games to another SD card, will I be able to play those games on the XL?

I ask because Sony has quite an elaborate system when it comes to this. They allow 5 systems activations per PSN account so you can play the PSN games you've downloaded on 5 systems but no more.

GLACIUSX25 2,075 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Aug 28, 2012 4:57 PM in response to: FALZ
Re: Can I play 3DS games I've downloaded on another 3DS?

No, to enable another 3DS to play the games you've downloaded, you have to use the System Transfer tool (meaning you need both 3DS systems in your possession at one time)

You cannot simply copy games to the SD card and then swap them out. They are linked to the source system

HADAA 292 posts since
Apr 19, 2011
Aug 28, 2012 7:10 PM in response to: FALZ

Follow this, it shall help you immensely.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/71891#71891

Note to self: Oh, so that's why that kind of misconception flew around because they (esp. some store associates) thought Nintendo is like Sony? I see...

NIGHTFIRE5 3,816 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Aug 29, 2012 12:13 AM in response to: FALZ

FALZ  wrote:

I have had a 3DS since launch and am now planning on purchasing a new 3DS XL. I'm using the Gamestop trade in program which lets you get $100 off the XL if you give them your old 3DS. I would like to know, if I copy my 3DS games to another SD card, will I be able to play those games on the XL?

I ask because Sony has quite an elaborate system when it comes to this. They allow 5 systems activations per PSN account so you can play the PSN games you've downloaded on 5 systems but no more.

As the others have said, it's not a matter of simply copying the games to another SD Card. You must perform a full system transfer in order to move your downloaded games to another system. In order to perform a system transfer, you must have both your original Nintendo 3DS system and your new Nintendo 3DS system, as well as an active and open internet connection. However, some Game Stop stores have set-up a program that allows you to perform a Nintendo 3DS to Nintendo 3DS XL system transfer in-store. If you plan on swapping your current Nintendo 3DS system out for a Nintendo 3DS XL system, you may want to do a bit of research and find out if any of the Game Stop stores near you feature this program. If anyone simply tells you that you can keep your games and related data just by pulling the SD Card out of the old system and putting it in the new one, they don't know what they're talking about.

Also, please do take note that that the business practices of Sony do note reflect the business practices of either Nintendo or MicroSoft, and vice-versa for both Nintendo and MicroSoft.

NETBANJEE 17 posts since
Aug 29, 2012
Aug 30, 2012 7:25 AM in response to: FALZ

Well, i THINK you can just take out the SD card and put it in your 3ds xl. After upgrading the sd card i put in my old sd card and I am able to play the games & demos just fine. But this is one the SAME 3DS, i don't know if it will work for you.

NETBANJEE 17 posts since
Aug 29, 2012
Aug 30, 2012 7:28 AM in response to: NETBANJEE

it won't.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)