Skip navigation
8,018 Views 10 Replies Last post: Jul 6, 2013 8:33 PM by SNESNESCUBE64
RSS
CHRISTOPHERXII 1 posts since
Sep 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 1, 2012 11:37 AM

3DS XL has a yellow tint to top screen?

I'm just curious if I have a defective unit or is this part of the new design? It is very apparent from the home screen that the top and bottom screen do not match. I had seen this before with DS Lites, and it is definitely not the same as my launch 3DS. Wondering if anyone else has this off-colored top screen as well?

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Sep 1, 2012 12:20 PM in response to: CHRISTOPHERXII
Re: 3DS XL has a yellow tint to top screen?

A few people have reported a slightly dimmer screen, but nothing like a yellow tinted screen.  If the tint is slight, then it is part of the design, as all screens will naturally vary.

HADAA 292 posts since
Apr 19, 2011
Sep 1, 2012 3:23 PM in response to: CHRISTOPHERXII

Yes, a yellow or pink tint is a known phenomenon and in Japan. It is caused by cost-saving production practice and is a factory fault. If it's hindering your play, you may call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 and ask for an exchange. (They will not exchange it if you're only being picky)

SNESNESCUBE64 1,139 posts since
Aug 4, 2012
Sep 4, 2012 2:45 PM in response to: HADAA

Actually yes they will, i sent mine in twice because of this issue. Mine didn't even have the problem until the screen started screwing up. Nintendo customer service will gladly fix it. Im actually waiting for mine to come back from nintendo, they better have fixed it this time instead of making it worse

DA_WEI 4 posts since
Oct 18, 2012
Nov 5, 2012 5:50 PM in response to: CHRISTOPHERXII

I noticed this difference only when playing original DS games on the 3DS XL, specifically the white splash developer logo screens in Professor Layton and Pokemon Black 2, but on games made for 3DS (Ocarina of Time) I didn't notice it, nor on the home screen.

I think with Nintendo portable systems, unfortunately, you have to look past minor issues. They just aren't well manufactured products...In my experience so far,people with pristine systems just got lucky. I've had 3 XL systems. My first had dead pixels, the second had a broken 3D depth slider. The advanced features get a bit diluted by these minor, yet annoyingly noticeable issues.

If your screen is really really yellow, I suggest calling Nintendo and speaking directly with management. The more they realize how many of these units are not perfect out of the box due to faulty manufacturing, the more likely they are to do something about it, and do something to help you as well!

SHADOWHUNTER 58 posts since
Oct 4, 2010
Jul 5, 2013 10:33 PM in response to: DA_WEI

I noticed on my brand new system, that my upper screen actually seems dimmer because of the yellowing, and its not even a day old.

Aug 4, 2012
Jul 6, 2013 8:06 PM in response to: SHADOWHUNTER

It is completely normal to see imperfections with any lcd. Nintendos 3ds is also prone to this. It may also be a bit worse on the xl because of a glare reducing coat on the screen. This defect is known and is within the manufacturer's specifications and repair/replacement is unnecessary.

Oct 4, 2010
Jul 6, 2013 8:10 PM in response to: SNESNESCUBE64

does the original 3ds have this glare reducing coat?

Aug 4, 2012
Jul 6, 2013 8:16 PM in response to: SHADOWHUNTER

Apparently not, but the tint may still be there, my screen is a little discolored (pink/yellow) on the right side but is unoticable with brightness cranked up to five. Even so, it is only noticeable during gameplay if it is really bad.

i know first hand how hard it is to get a perfect sceen, my 3ds was repaired 3 times and still didnt get results, got a refund and great one with barely noticeable discoloration. It's kinda like russian roulette, its a smaller chance you will get a bad one. Although it seems to fade alittle after long periods of time.

Oct 4, 2010
Jul 6, 2013 8:21 PM in response to: SNESNESCUBE64

I usually only turn the brightness to full blast when out of the house. I shouldnt need to do so in a nice pleasantly lit room(natural lighting) because the top screen has a yellowish tint that makes night scenes in some games(read night levels) look darker than they are.

sorry, I dont mean to sound like I'm whining, just, I spend nearly $220 on a handheld.. I'd like to get my money's worth if you know what I mean.

I've got a repair set up for speakers that are entirely too soft(again, I know theres not much room in the upper screen housing..) and I figure, if theres nothing wrong? they send it back as is. if there is something? it gets fixed or swapped. either way, best to have it checked out. never a waste of time being careful.

Aug 4, 2012
Jul 6, 2013 8:33 PM in response to: SHADOWHUNTER

Your not really whining because you bring up a valid point.

Ive never taken any marketing classes but this is kinda an explaination. You see nintendo is being forced to use cheaper parts because of the 3ds' lowered price, raise it about $75 and the quality of parts will increase. But because the 3ds was lowered from $250 to $170, cheaper parts must be installed otherwise nintendo would sell the console at a deficit. Nintendo wouldnt be in buisness to long. If i had it my way, i would pay the extra money for better quality parts but the average consumer wants everything to be cheaper.

this is becoming too much of a open discussion and is drifting away from the main problem. I have put pretty much everything i know about this issue so i am going to withdrawl before this discussion gets too far off topic.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)