Skip navigation
62,726 Views 14 Replies Last post: Sep 13, 2014 8:55 PM by TALLBEARNC
RSS
CHAIRSGOTOSCHOOLS 10 posts since
Sep 14, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 14, 2012 9:21 PM

3ds memory card question(s)

sorry if this has been asked, i looked for 2 days now and havent found much solid info.

since nintendo is putting retail 3ds games on the e shop i decided it is time to upgrade my card from the 2 gig to a 32 or 64gb

question i have

1.will a 64gb sdhc or sdxc work in the 3ds

2. anyone know what write/read speed it should have, someone said that read speed is more important than writing speed for 3ds so is a 20mb/s read speed and 15mb/s write speed good

3. anyone have suggestions on cards i should get, i want it to be a 64gb and under 60 bucks, i found one for 50 thats a komputerbay 64gb class 10 sdxc card if anyone knows of a better card or how good this one is it would be really helpful.

GLACIUSX25 2,009 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Sep 14, 2012 9:41 PM in response to: CHAIRSGOTOSCHOOLS
Re: 3ds memory card question(s)

The 3DS only supports SD and SDHC, not SDXC, so 32 GB is the limit

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Sep 15, 2012 8:39 AM in response to: CHAIRSGOTOSCHOOLS

No recent system update raised the cap for SDHC cards.  As for read/write speed, it doesn't matter if you have a Class 2 or 10 SD Card, and load times won't change.  It is irrelevant because no 3DS game is going to have an output that a Class 2 card cannot easily handle.

MARIO 3,202 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Sep 15, 2012 8:43 AM in response to: MACHBIKER

I have heard reports that faster SD cards can help with loading the icons in the menu and possibly when launching software stored on the card (in addition to music/photos/etc.) so it might be helpful to consider the speed class.

BEARDEDONE 1,636 posts since
Apr 15, 2011
Sep 16, 2012 6:45 PM in response to: CHAIRSGOTOSCHOOLS

Nintendo cannot add support for SDXC cards because they come formatted with with exFAT, a Microsoft proprietary file system for which Microsoft holds a patent.  When the patent expires, Nintendo could add support for SDXC cards formatted with exFAT.

Until then, like you said, if you buy an SDXC card and format it with the FAT32 filesystem, it should work on the 3DS.  In theory, the capacity supported could be as high as 2TB (the upper limit of the SDXC standard as well as FAT32).

Apr 15, 2011
Sep 16, 2012 10:26 PM in response to: CHAIRSGOTOSCHOOLS

There is a 4GiB (minus one byte) file size limit with FAT32, but I can't imagine why you would ever have a single file that is that big.

Apr 15, 2011
Sep 17, 2012 10:20 PM in response to: CHAIRSGOTOSCHOOLS

If Nintendo releases a downloadable game that is 4GiB (which is unlikely), they will break it up into multiple files.  They are aware of the limit.  Don't worry.

DRAGONRIDER0614 1 posts since
Apr 23, 2013
Apr 23, 2013 2:21 PM in response to: CHAIRSGOTOSCHOOLS

I have a 3DS XL and I purchased a 64gb micro sd card, and an adapter. This is working very well for me and offers a large amount of memory for downloading. I don't know a reccomended speed for cards, however I highly reccomend a 64gb. I was able to find mine for only 20$ at Amazon. The link is here http://www.amazon.com/64GB-Class-Micro-Memory-Adapter/dp/B00B5VY2WA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1366751934&sr=8-9&keywords=64gb+micro+sd+card

I am using this card, and it works very well. I am not sure if there is a difference between the SD carb abilities from 3DS to 3DS XL, but i hope this helps.

WARKET06 1 posts since
Apr 28, 2014
Apr 28, 2014 10:19 AM in response to: CHAIRSGOTOSCHOOLS

I was doing more research on this topic, and I found an article that walks though, step by step, how to re-format an SDXC card to enable it to be read by a 3DS/ 3DS XL. She does a good job explaining why SDXC cards usually don't work and how to fix it.

http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2013/10/25/updated-how-to-upgrade-your-3ds-sd-card-to-64gb-and-beyond/

TALLBEARNC 1 posts since
Sep 10, 2014
Sep 13, 2014 8:55 PM in response to: CHAIRSGOTOSCHOOLS

Only windows caps partition utility all the  way up to win 8.1 to 32gb for fat32

you DO NOT have to keep the sd card in exfat format. Changing the format violates NOTHING

use partion magic or another utility and you can format even a 256gb sd card in fat32

the 3ds can easily use XC cards as long as u fat32 format them....

And yep the 4GB file limit applies. I have a 128GB card in my Vita. And Sony sends 10-20gb down all the time, just no file crosses that 4gb boundary. I don't think nintendo will either.

I have a be a genie go for my directv system. It requires a fat32 drive. I have a 1tb fat32 drive in there....the gg lets u copy DVRs playlist shows to your iPad etc. It is also limited to 4gb files and must use compression to keep a very long he movie to 4gb

i think fat32 has an ultimate limit of 2TB

so far the only storage limit I have found to the 3ds is the size of the Sd card. If they had a 1tb sd card, it'd be a snap to format it for the 3ds unless the 3ds has some code that can't handle more that a few million blocks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)