Skip navigation
18,272 Views 18 Replies Last post: Feb 25, 2013 12:13 PM by MARIOGOLFER777
RSS
ZECROM9000 69 posts since
Apr 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 4, 2012 4:48 AM

Do wii games work on the Wii U?

I sved up for a wii, but when the wii u was announced, i thought it might be better. I realy had my eye on the kirby's dream colection: colecters edition. So does a wii game work on WII U?

_TANIS_ 1,709 posts since
Apr 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 4, 2012 6:35 AM in response to: ZECROM9000
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

Yes, all Wii games will work on the Wii U.

It is not backwards compatible with Gamecube games.

ALEX762 970 posts since
Jul 23, 2012
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 4, 2012 7:20 AM in response to: _TANIS_
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

Do wii u games work on the wii and do you need the wii u controller to play the wii u.

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 4, 2012 8:21 AM in response to: ALEX762
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

No, Wii U games will not work on the Wii.  You do not need the Wii U's Gamepad to play every game on the Wii, but it will usually be an option.  Playing with the Gamepad will also offer many more controls and abilities than the regular Wii controller.

ALEX762 970 posts since
Jul 23, 2012
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 5, 2012 7:17 AM in response to: MACHBIKER
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

Then what do they play on.

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 5, 2012 7:48 AM in response to: ALEX762
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

What is "they" referring to?  Wii U games or the Gamepad?

ALEX762 970 posts since
Jul 23, 2012
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 5, 2012 9:24 PM in response to: MACHBIKER
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

Wii u games.

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 5, 2012 10:31 PM in response to: ALEX762
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

Wii U games will play only on the Wii U.

 

Wii games will play on both the Wii and the Wii U.

LINUX2GO 324 posts since
Aug 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 10, 2012 4:09 AM in response to: ZECROM9000
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

Some new intel has surfaced saying that You cannot play Wii games right out of the box. it will require a firmware update (available on release day) in order for Wii games to play.

 

 

-hopefully, this helps anyone who was planning on using a Wii U for Wii games out of the box and has no/or slow internet connection. (Yes, people like this do exist)

ONE-OF-THREE 5,684 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 10, 2012 3:19 PM in response to: LINUX2GO
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

LINUX2GO  wrote:

 

Some new intel has surfaced saying that You cannot play Wii games right out of the box. it will require a firmware update (available on release day) in order for Wii games to play.

 

 

-hopefully, this helps anyone who was planning on using a Wii U for Wii games out of the box and has no/or slow internet connection. (Yes, people like this do exist)

Yes, this is true about the Wii U needing a firmware update to be able to play Wii video games, but for those that have no internet service, there likely will be a firmware update hidden in the Wii U video game discs, much in the same way all previous Wii console updates were included on the Wii video games as well.

 

Won't know till the Wii U is released, but it is possible that the Nintendo made video games that are being released on launch day will also have the needed update, such as Super Mario Bros. U, but if not, it shouldn't be long before other Wii U video games will have the firmware update.

BERRYSNCREAMT 2 posts since
Dec 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 1, 2012 1:20 AM in response to: ZECROM9000
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

We bought Skylanders Giants after being told at the store that it would work with the Wii. We got home and directions for the Wii as well as the Wii U were included so we tried it. It didn't work. We bought the game a 2nd time (waiting to return 1st game as returns are not accepted late at night) and still no go.  In looking at the box A LOT more closely, I find where the game is compatible with the Wii U and it says nothing about the Wii. I have to say shame on Nintendo for 1 not making it more obvious that Wii U games do not work with the Wii on the box and 2 that they would put instructions in the game itself for using it with the Wii when the game isn't even compatible!! We went through a **** of a lot of trouble only to find out we couldn't play the game we were so looking forward to playing!

MYNICESCREENNAME 136 posts since
Jul 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 1, 2012 1:57 AM in response to: BERRYSNCREAMT
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

BERRYSNCREAMT  wrote:

 

We bought Skylanders Giants after being told at the store that it would work with the Wii. We got home and directions for the Wii as well as the Wii U were included so we tried it. It didn't work. We bought the game a 2nd time (waiting to return 1st game as returns are not accepted late at night) and still no go.  In looking at the box A LOT more closely, I find where the game is compatible with the Wii U and it says nothing about the Wii. I have to say shame on Nintendo for 1 not making it more obvious that Wii U games do not work with the Wii on the box and 2 that they would put instructions in the game itself for using it with the Wii when the game isn't even compatible!! We went through a **** of a lot of trouble only to find out we couldn't play the game we were so looking forward to playing!

It is not Nintendo's fault if the store told you, that the Wii U version of Skylanders Giants will play on the Wii. Go back to the store and complain about misinforming you.

 

Also, it is common sense that games for any new console (Wii U) to not play on any old console (Wii). But I guess it is not because you are probably not a gamer, so it is ok.

BERRYSNCREAMT 2 posts since
Dec 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 2, 2012 10:48 AM in response to: MYNICESCREENNAME
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

Mynicescreenname,

 

first of all, I find your post abrasive and an insult to my intelligence... A little courtesy goes a long way in speaking to complete strangers. No, I have more important things in my life besides sitting in front of a video game consol for hours on end.  We have complained to the store.  Also, your response does not explain why Nintendo included in the installation instructions how to set up the game for the Wii when the game doesn't work.

THECLAW 417 posts since
Dec 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 14, 2012 1:31 PM in response to: BERRYSNCREAMT
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

Skylanders Giants was not developed or published by Nintendo. You should to raise complaint to Activision if the game's manual seriously does say it's Wii compatible.

DARK_NESS 127 posts since
Apr 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 29, 2012 7:34 AM in response to: BERRYSNCREAMT
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

BERRYSNCREAMT  wrote:

 

Mynicescreenname,

 

first of all, I find your post abrasive and an insult to my intelligence... A little courtesy goes a long way in speaking to complete strangers. No, I have more important things in my life besides sitting in front of a video game consol for hours on end.  We have complained to the store.  Also, your response does not explain why Nintendo included in the installation instructions how to set up the game for the Wii when the game doesn't work.

don't worry about it...

 

there's two vers of the game wii and wiiu , so if the case is blue and if it says wiiu then it will not work on the wii.

 

on the back of the case it does say it only works for the wiiu...

 

wii games works on the wiiu as well so if you want hd then go with the wiiu ver that if you own wiiu.

BIDNERTECHSUPPORT 6 posts since
Dec 14, 2012
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 14, 2012 1:38 PM in response to: ZECROM9000
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

Yes they do work but, Wii U games don't work on the Wii

ROD64 447 posts since
Apr 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 16, 2013 3:44 PM in response to: ZECROM9000
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

Most of them do.

Some Wii games require the GCN ports (for example, the many Dance Dance Revolution games), ergo they will not work on the Wii U.

PRINCESSPEACH52 18 posts since
Feb 8, 2013
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 25, 2013 12:11 PM in response to: ZECROM9000
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

Almost all of the Wii games can work on a Wii U, wether it's deluxe version or not. The only downside to this is that it will not play these Wii games in HD.

MARIOGOLFER777 2,329 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 25, 2013 12:13 PM in response to: PRINCESSPEACH52
Re: Do wii games work on the Wii U?

PRINCESSPEACH52  wrote:

 

The only downside to this is that it will not play these Wii games in HD.

True, but if you're using the HDMI cable, the graphics look slightly sharper.

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)