Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
92,085 Views 52 Replies Last post: Dec 31, 2013 7:04 PM by K9KAMPER2
RSS
PSYCO_OCELOT 10 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 18, 2012 12:08 AM

Wii U not reading discs?

Has anyone else had any issues getting their Wii U to read discs?  I keep getting an invalid disc error on the console, with multiple games I picked up, and the same while in Wii mode.  Is my drive DOA?

TRANSBRAK2 4 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 12:24 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT
Re: Wii U not reading discs?

Mine is doing the same, trying to update. Hope that works, I hope I didn't stand in line for 4 and a half hours for something that is a brick.

APAUX 4 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 12:51 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

place it flat if you are using the stands and see if that makes any difference.

KINGDOUDOU 1 posts since
Nov 20, 2012
Nov 20, 2012 9:49 PM in response to: TRANSBRAK2

Just got mine and have the same problem.  I read evey post here, tried everything, but still no luck.  I am thinking it's the bad optical reader because it starts to make turning noise as soon as the disk is inserted but it stops after 3-5 seconds.   I had to send the Wii system in for 2 repairs for the bad optical reader problem and this is really starting to bother me.

BILLY2004 3 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 12:35 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

my system cannot read discs either nintendo land ir mario will load

TRANSBRAK2 4 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 1:22 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Update didn't help. So that's great just wasted half the day on a dead console. Great job on quality assurance Nintendo.

SKULDSBUGS 1 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 8:02 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

We have the same issue.  On phone with tech support.

TRANSBRAK2 4 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 9:57 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Woke up this morning tried it again and got a grinding noise from the drive. I called around and found the Kmart here had one left, got it and it works fine. I'm going to take the other one back in a bit.

BILLY2004 3 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 10:25 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Called tech support this morning they want me to send it back and said it would take 5 to 6 days. Really dissapointed after standing in line for four hours.

BAZDEFUNCT 3 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 10:30 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Try seeing if your discs have any smudges on them. I just experienced the Invalid disc error and found a fingerprint smudge on my FIFA 13 Disc, once I cleaned the smudge off the Disc worked fine.

BIGBABOO1 1 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 10:47 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Mine did the same thing and wouldn't even power down. I unplugged it, waited 10 seconds, plugged it back in and it started reading discs fine. Hope that helps!

SPANKYMCGEE 2 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 11:13 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Mine wouldn't read discs, either.  (The only Wii U disc I have is NintendoLand, but it won't read regular Wii discs as well.)  I called tech support and got a repair order, like the others, with "free" upgraded shipping.  Doesn't feel too good after waiting up last night for it.

SPANKYMCGEE 2 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 3:07 PM in response to: SPANKYMCGEE

I just got a replacement Wii U back in the mail, and it's working!  Hurray!  The disconcerting part is that they sent a form letter with a box checked off that effectively said, "we could not replicate your problem, but we replaced your Wii U anyway."  I don't understand... it wouldn't read anything at my house!  Even after unplugging it and plugging it back in, it didn't work.

NEEKSLEEPS 1 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 11:58 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Okay, so I called nintendo, and they set up a repair. Now I have a question. Are they going to send me a box to put my stuff in? Or am I to make a package of all the things they told me to include?

AKA_ICHIGO 6 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 1:11 PM in response to: NEEKSLEEPS

I don't believe they're going to send you any shipping materials. They just told me at the minimum to wrap my box with paper to prevent theft but I'll probably use some bubble wrap to protect it. Nintendo will attempt to repair the console first so the one that you send in will be the one you're getting back if they can fix it.

AKA_ICHIGO 6 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 12:01 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

I've got the same problem here "The disc could not be read" for Nintendoland. And this was after I updated. Going to call tech support now.

APAUX 4 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 12:40 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

I know this is weird. Is your Wii U using the stand? I was just using the stand. Decided to place it flat. Now it's reading the 3rd disk that I stuck in there. First 2 disks that I tried, the Wii U was using the stand that the black Deluxe set comes with. Dont use those and see if they work. I'm going to try the other games after I play the 3rd game that actually loaded.

and... I'm on the west coast. I haven't updated my software yet.

APAUX 4 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 1:20 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

I tested all the games that I bought. Scribblenauts Unlimited(loaded fine), Assassin's Creed 3(loaded fine), Nintendo Land(which wasn't reading, is now working), ZombiU(read fine, but didn't load it yet), and Call of Duty Black Ops 2 (which wasn't reading, is now working)

I still havent been able to update my wii u yet. So it's not software related.

If you are still having problems, I don't know what else to tell you besides to call Customer Support.

AKA_ICHIGO 6 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 1:13 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

I tried mine without the stand too and it's not reading. I've tried Nintendoland, Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario Galaxy (just to make sure). Nothing was able to load.

EDIT: I have Wii U Basic.

AKA_ICHIGO 6 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 1:21 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

They told me 5-6 days. They said they would send me a overnight label and it'll take them 2-3 days to examine the console. Then they'll ship it back if it's repairable. And that whole process should take 5-6 days.

APAUX 4 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 1:21 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Good luck and looks like my update is finally downloading.

SKIDBLADNIR 1 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 3:56 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

My "problem" has been fixed, and although it was my user error coupled with some poor UI design on Nintendo's part, I thought I should post my problem/solution in case anyone else is running into the same thing...

Problem: I tried to load Nintendoland which resulted in an "unable to read disc" error message. I tried to load New Super Mario Bros. U and Call of Duty Black Ops II, and encountered the same problem. However, when I tried an old Wii game (Mario Kart Wii), it worked without any problems. I called Nintendo tech support and asked for some help. They didn't have a clue and suggested that I send it in for repair, but I didn't give up and finally figured it out... The problem was that I was in Wii Mode but I was trying to play a Wii U game. You'd think that the system would be smart enough to let me know I was simply in the wrong mode, as opposed to saying that it couldn't read the disc...

Solution: I realized that I had to make sure I was not in "Wii" mode and all I had do was launch the game from the main Wii U home menu. The system now reads all these discs without any problems – the same discs the system previously said it couldn't read simply because I was in the old-school Wii mode...

I realize everyone else in this forum is probably having a real problem with a faulty optical drive, but thought I'd pass this info along just in case it might help someone else.

- SKD

K9KAMPER2 1 posts since
Dec 31, 2013
Dec 31, 2013 7:04 PM in response to: SKIDBLADNIR

OMG thank you ... clicked on the Wii button thinking that was where I needed to go ... was driving me nuts why it wouldn't read the disk ...

Poor menu design is right ... you would think the "Wii" selection would tell you the disc was a Wii U disk not just say it couldn't read the disk ...

Great Post now I feel like I have an ID 10 T error ...

I wonder how many of these folks actually weren't having equipment problems ...

NMAN9814 18 posts since
Sep 11, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 4:10 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Did you try putting it in with the label facing up (only applicable if you have your console on its side) or facing to the right (also only applicable if you are using the stand)?  If you are putting the disks in correctly, I cannot help.

DARKCLOUD25 2 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 5:32 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Hey guys i had the same problem and i fixed it see if this helps you all out

I called nintendo and this awesome guy told me unplug the wii u power supplie from the wall then unplug it from the Wii U leave it unpluged for 1 min then plug it back in after 1-2mins. IMPORTANT when your doing this do not leave any Disk's in the system after the 1-2 mins power it back on and start up everything to main screen then put game in. worked for me man for over 3 hrs i was getting invalid disk error and this worked for me guys

DARKCLOUD25 2 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 6:42 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

yeah i unpluged the power from wall and system

TJA2051 1 posts since
Nov 20, 2012
Nov 20, 2012 11:45 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Mine is doing the same thing I really wish there was something else I could do than to send it in. Is there anyone out there tht has gotten it to work with out having to send it in?

ALEX762 972 posts since
Jul 23, 2012
Nov 20, 2012 12:26 PM in response to: TJA2051

Has the wii u worked for anybody if not nintendo may have to fix all the systems before anybody else buys it.

ALEX762 972 posts since
Jul 23, 2012
Nov 20, 2012 3:28 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Ok

PRISONEROFDOOM 2 posts since
Nov 20, 2012
Nov 20, 2012 4:48 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Just had my first couple of disc read errors when trying to load ZombieU. I have New Super Mario Bros. U and NintendoLand which have loaded just fine. After inserting and ejecting ZombieU a couple of times I got it to read. Hopefully it doesn't happen anymore.

WANDERING_MAIDEN 1 posts since
Nov 21, 2012
Nov 21, 2012 1:36 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

I seem to be having this issue as well, sadly none of what's been suggested in this thread helped any. I didn't try to play a game right away, had been getting the update and doing the system transfer so I didn't notice until late. Everything had run so smoothly I didn't suspect something so core would be broken. Does anyone know if compressed air would help at all?

FITHEMASTERSWORD 1,458 posts since
Jan 16, 2012
Nov 25, 2012 7:48 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Try unplugging the system completely for 2-3 minutes. Worked for my friend.

BILLY2004 3 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 9:58 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Looks like ill get to finally get to play my wiiu that i bought at lauch tommarow cant wait. Although if it dosent work this time im going to be very upset.

AKA_ICHIGO 6 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 4:51 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

UPDATE: I got my Wii U back yesterday (finally! turnaround was a week, not including weekends and Thanksgiving ) and Nintendo shipped back my components without the original packaging, which I had sent in. I'm a bit peeved about this because now I don't have the original box or any of the original packing materials.  If I had known they were going to do this, I wouldn't have sent my box in.  They were really unclear with the shipping directions.  And what's worse was the packing material they sent my unit back in was really shoddy.  Anyway, what happened in the end was Nintendo couldn't fix the console and replaced it with a new one.

SNESNESCUBE64 1,180 posts since
Aug 4, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 6:39 PM in response to: AKA_ICHIGO

What do you mean that they werent clear with shipping instructions? They would have sent you two things via email, one would be the shipping label and another with specific instructions. If you read the entire thing you would have also seen this:" * We do not recommend using your original system box for shipping. It was not intended to be used as a shipping box and may not protect your system. Your packaging will not be returned." This was copied and pasted from the email you recieved. Every email with the instructions is the same.

AKA_ICHIGO 6 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 7:36 PM in response to: SNESNESCUBE64

Guess I never got the second e-mail

EDIT: Also, I remember I brought it up w/ the rep when I was on the phone and she never advised against sending in the original box.

NEWPORTBOXSHORTS 1 posts since
Dec 19, 2012
Dec 19, 2012 8:42 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

I totally understand how u guys feel. I just bought the wii u today, went home and set it up. Performed update, though the connection kept timing out. Didint need to restart, just ran system update again and it picked up where it left off. Did this two or three times until the update was complete. Finally completed, and I'm like "Yes! time for mario!!" So I rip the packing off of mario u, and pop it it in my wii u, and...Invalid Disk!! for an hour or two. I am so upset..Thats the only game I bought, and I have yet to play my new wii u. I'm crying  =(

GAM3R_L1NG0 1 posts since
Jan 4, 2013
Jan 4, 2013 5:45 PM in response to: NEWPORTBOXSHORTS

My experience was exactly the same. Network connection consistently times out (have to power down and power back up the console to get that to work again) yet my old Wii and every other device in my house has no network issue. After spending several hours getting the update to finally come down, the console is unable to read the disc, be it Wii-U, or old Wii disc. Tried both in Wii-U and old Wii modes. Words can't describe the frustration. Not to mention, that huge wait time between switching areas on the Wii-U. Even going back to the home screen from settings takes long. Yikes, Unbearable, unacceptable, poor user experience. IMO, Nintendo should stick with making games, and give up entirely on making consoles anymore because this is total fail right here folks.

JETSTER02 1 posts since
Dec 22, 2012
Dec 22, 2012 5:11 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

I just bought a Wii U and had the same problem - console would not read any disks.  As others so helpfully commented, there is a problem with some of the Wii U units with the optical reader.  I bought mine at target so took it back and got a new one. The new one works fine.  Very annoying though that when I called Nintendo, they told me they had never experienced this problem.  Nintendo MUST be aware that this happens enough that they would do SOMETHING about it.  They suggested I send it back (pain in the neck) and I would get it back in 2 weeks.  What do you tell your kids when its a Christmas present??

LISA04 1 posts since
Dec 25, 2012
Dec 25, 2012 10:50 AM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

I am having the same issues and am very upset! I tried all the tips mentioned here ( thank you to everyone who posted tips by the way) and nothing worked. Even if I were to send the console back to Nintendo I wouldn't be able to do so until next week since  we are leaving today and will not be home until Next week. Then I'll have to wait another 2 weeks. This is really aggravating!

JIM60614 1 posts since
Dec 25, 2012
Dec 25, 2012 12:31 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

I am having a similar problem with the new games I just purchased (Sing Party and Maddden 13) with my new Wii U but the older games (Super Mario, etc.) work fine.  Any suggestions?

XPERTPISTAR 21 posts since
Dec 31, 2012
Jan 4, 2013 7:16 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

The disc drive is bad. Call Nintendo and say it wont read discs. They should fix it for free because it still has a warranty 1 or 2 year warrnaty by default. You may also have a bad copy of the disc.

KG53 1 posts since
Jan 6, 2013
Jan 6, 2013 8:52 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM IT IS INDEED SAID BECAUSE IT WAS A GIFT TO MY CHILDREN HOPEFULLY THE WARRANTY WILL COVER THIS IT JUST SUCKS THEY HAVE TO WAIT FOR SO LONG ON AN ISSUES THAT SHOULD OF BEEN FIXED BEFORE PUTTING IT ON THE MARKET....

QT3.1415 1 posts since
Dec 27, 2013
Dec 27, 2013 3:08 PM in response to: PSYCO_OCELOT

Simple problems = smudge on disc, playing Wii discs in the WiiU menu instead of the Wii menu, playing WiiU discs in the Wii menu instead of the WiiU menu, putting disc in upside down, etc.

But most are not having simple problems.  Most have realized that Nintendo has poor quality control, and that the stupid drive simply doesn't work on a lot of these new units.  So either take it back to the store and try a different one (and make Nintendo own up to the problem), or keep the unit and hope that when Nintendo fixes the problem on warranty it stays fixed.

But don't read these threads hoping for a simple user error.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)