Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
9,855 Views 6 Replies Last post: May 14, 2014 3:43 PM by THECLAW
RSS
JDRMR 1 posts since
Nov 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2012 10:23 PM

Can Brawl data be transferred to the Wii U?

I saw the new FAQ Nintendo posted about the Wii-to-Wii U transfer process and I noticed this part in particular in the section covering what ISN'T transferred: "Software and save data for which transfer is not permitted, such as WiiConnect24 data"

It is not clear to me whether this also refers to save data for Super Smash Bros. Brawl and other games (Animal Crossing: City Folk, Mario Kart Wii, Endless Ocean, etc.) that have not allowed save data to be backed up to an SD card.  Can anyone confirm that the transfer application "unlocks" the save data for those games to allow them to be transferred to the Wii U?  And if not, then what happens to the save data for those games?  I have to assume they are left intact on the source Wii.  Surely the saves aren't just deleted entirely... right?

TOONLINK 34 posts since
Apr 7, 2011
Nov 18, 2012 3:21 PM in response to: JDRMR
Re: Can Brawl data be transferred to the Wii U?

I asked that question to Nintendo support and I haven't gotten an answer yet.  Honestly, I might prefer playing Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl on the Wii where I can use a GameCube controller.

I've actually got an extra Wii at my apartment.  I'm going to make some save files for Mario Kart and Smash Bros. on that one and copy all my other save files to there(the ones that can be copied to SD Card) and see what happens if I do a system transfer from there.

I'll let you know how my little experiment goes.

TOONLINK 34 posts since
Apr 7, 2011
Nov 20, 2012 8:22 PM in response to: TOONLINK

The answer is a resounding "Yes!"  Super Smash Bros. Brawl transferred and I kept all of my hard-earned trophies!  It's quite a relief since I really didn't want to collect all the stickers again or have to beat Boss Battles on Intense one more time.  Mario Kart Wii also transferred without losing anything I'd unlocked or saved.

All of my games transferred.  The only things that got left behind were channels that focused on the Internet or came with the Wii.  So the Internet Channel, Everybody Votes, Check Mii Out, Nintendo Channel, Netflix, Hulu Plus, and YouTube did not transfer.  However everything that didn't transfer was still left intact and playable on the Wii.

One thing to note is that the Photo Channel and Wii Connect 24 don't transfer any data.  So things like the photos and congratulations messages that get sent to you from Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports and other games stay behind on the Wii.  I'm sending all my photos to another Wii system that still has it's saved data intact.

WIIHUGGER 1 posts since
Dec 17, 2012
Dec 17, 2012 9:02 PM in response to: JDRMR

Let me get this straight, you can transfer Brawl to the wii u. It also deletes the file on the wii right? Do online features still work the same? Obviously you can't use the gc controller, but everything else works right? Could I create a second file with the old wii and send the two head to head online?

NIGHTFIRE5 3,426 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Dec 17, 2012 9:07 PM in response to: WIIHUGGER

WIIHUGGER  wrote:

Let me get this straight, you can transfer Brawl to the wii u. It also deletes the file on the wii right? Do online features still work the same? Obviously you can't use the gc controller, but everything else works right? Could I create a second file with the old wii and send the two head to head online?

Yes, you can do that. After performing the Wii to Wii U system transfer, your old save file for Super Smash Bros. Brawl will remain intact on your Wii U console, while you can create a new save file for the game using your Nintendo Wii console. The only thing you won't be able to do is use the WiiConnect24 features, which means you will no longer be able to send stages, snapshots, or replays to other Nintendo Wii consoles from the Wii U console. You'll still be able to just jump right in to a battle with friends you have on your old file though with no problem.

ZELDALORD4 1 posts since
May 14, 2014
May 14, 2014 3:20 PM in response to: NIGHTFIRE5

Does this process need to be done differently than a regular transfer? I recently transfered my Wii to my Wii U and the only stuff that transfered was Wii Shop Channel data and Virtual Console data. Neither my Mario Kart nor Smash Bros data transferred. When I loaded up Brawl on the Wii U it made me create a new save file. The Mario Kart and Smash Bros data still exists on the source wii, while none the VC stuff does. What did I do wrong?

THECLAW 417 posts since
Dec 20, 2010
May 14, 2014 3:43 PM in response to: ZELDALORD4

Wii U does not transfer save files or game data that are stored on an SD card.

Affected Shop Channel games can be re-downloaded, but other things you'd need to transfer again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)