Skip navigation

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
25,421 Views 15 Replies Last post: Nov 19, 2012 3:51 PM by PAUL074
RSS
CHAZ 2 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 18, 2012 12:11 AM

Error Code 103-1001 "Unable to find a wi-fi network"

Got a new Deluxe edition Wii U console tonight and after hooking everything up, I tried connecting to my wireless router. However, each time, the connection fails with that error code and a list of possible problems and their solutions.

I know the issue isn't the modem since I'm connected to it now, and earlier I intentionally entered the wrong security key when connecting as a test. That time it brought back an error that the key was wrong, so it seems perfectly capable of communicating with the router.

I've tried unplugging and plugging the router back in. Same with the console. I turned the console off and let it sit for a while, moved stuff around it to give it mroe space, even disconnected my computer's wireless usb stick to see if that was affecting it, and each time the same error.

Is there a fix to this? Otherwise will the update be supplied in a way that it can be loaded onto an SD card?

JLM081 2 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 12:23 AM in response to: CHAZ
Re: Error Code 103-1001 "Unable to find a wi-fi network"

I am having this exact issue.  This is the same router I use for my 3DS, phone, laptop, and Wii - and they all connected just fine.  Why is this happening?

JAMAICANINTENDO 7 posts since
Nov 17, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 12:31 AM in response to: JLM081

me too.  same router i use for my wii and 3ds, but my wii u wont connect.

JLM081 2 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 1:32 AM in response to: JLM081

I finally got it to work, but I had to enter all of the settings manually.  This is not something a normal user should have to go through to get it to work, but anyway maybe this can help some of you.  I know it's for wii, but the steps are fairly similar on the wii u as well:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ht_internet.jsp?menu=connect&submenu=rvl-ht-int-adjust-manual-conn

KYLECRAUSCH 1 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 2:16 AM in response to: JLM081

I bought the deluxe Wii U pacakge tonight and was struggling with the same error message all night long.  Thankfully I came across your messag--you are a godsend!  Manually entering the settings worked.  Just make sure to add '10' to the last set of digits to your IP address, and for Mac users, your gateway number might show up as the router number, but they are the same.
Good luck--can't believe this happened but that's launch day woes for you.

CLEVEREDDIE 1 posts since
Nov 17, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 12:46 AM in response to: CHAZ

im also getting the error code 103-1001 and i know its not my wireless router because i use this router for my laptop,ps3,360 and wii,i just dont understand how it can locate my point not to mention im at a 100% but the wii u refuses to connect,i hope we can get an answer because ive been anticipating this console and now i feel dissapointed and quite frankly a little cheated.

K41Z0HELP 3 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 1:18 AM in response to: CHAZ

I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem. I hope this will get fixed somehow...

JORD5 1 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 2:52 AM in response to: CHAZ

Not sure if my problem is totally relevant to this post but I can connect to my network but not the Internet. Tried entering data manually but no luck.

MISTERLINK 7 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 7:24 AM in response to: CHAZ

I manually put in my settings and it got me to connect to the Network Device but not to the Internet. I can't figure it out and don't know why this is such a problem when my Wii can connect easily.

T-RAT1212 2 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 8:42 AM in response to: CHAZ

I have the same problem as @MISTERLINK AND @JORD5 please tell me some one has a solution

JOHNH81818 1 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 9:10 AM in response to: CHAZ

I had this problem too, and it turned out that the signal wasn't good enough to maintain a consistent connection.  After moving the wii into the same room as my router, I was able to connect flawlessly and update without a hitch.

Unfortunately, not everyone can have both their router and their Wii in the same room.  Alternatives are to:

1) Buy a Lan Adapter, and use a wired connection which will be faster, more reliable and more consistent anyways.

2) Buy a wireless repeater, and set it up within range of your Wii U and your router.

3) IFF (IF AND ONLY IF) you are tech saavy, you can try flashing your routers firmware and messing around with the transmission power.  Increased power increases signal strenght, but also increases noise, raises power consumption/temperature and shortens your router's life if not outright immediately damaging it.  Decreased power reduces radio noise and EMI, but lowers signal strength.  It should also reduce the amount of heat generated by your router and lowers power consumption.  No idea if it might damage the router, though.

It isn't surprising that the Wii U may be more susceptible to EMI than other devices: it is located on the ground, close to many other electrical wires/devices (TV, DVD player, other consoles) and also has the GamePad streaming video data over the air.  On top of this, the Wii U is relatively inexpensive compared to high end laptops and even many smartphones.  Even though Nintendo is selling the Wii U at a loss, I wouldn't be surprised if they are using a lower quality WiFi antenna than you would have in a $1000 laptop, or a $600 phone.

EDIT: The Wii U's internet connectivity seems to be VASTLY improved after updating the firmware.  I would suggest moving the Wii next to your router so it can do the update without interruption, and then moving it back after it has updated.

MEDIEM 5 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 7:32 PM in response to: JOHNH81818

I had a rep try to help me. I power cycled, entered in my data manually, and even tried to put the console right next to the router. Nothing worked.

I finally changed my router to (temporarily) not be password protected, but I'm getting a 103-2002 error. This is driving me insane! I'd rather not have to buy anything extra, especially if it's only going to be for a few minute system update....

T-RAT1212 2 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 3:18 PM in response to: CHAZ

This is a tip for everyone that has not found a solution.

Make sure you still manually input IP address, subnet mask, and gateway address.

This time for DNS serves use:

Primary:    8.8.8.8

Secondary:8.8.4.4

I hope this aids everyone in need

MYSTICALES- 65 posts since
Aug 8, 2011
Nov 19, 2012 3:37 PM in response to: CHAZ

A couple items to also check on that has helped me for the 2.4 Ghz band. Change the Wifi channel to 6, then 1, then 11 till you find one that works. I have had issues before where channel 6 was the only fix oddly. Now this could also be due to others in the area using the same channel you are on and cause issues. Now I had this issue last night too, WPA2-AES did NOT want to connect but my "Open" SSID worked fine. Wasnt till a few tries a couple hours later was I able to connect to my AES one. Didnt even have to go manual, which I was about to. So the Wii-U seems very temperamental when it comes to a connection right now.

PAUL074 2 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 3:51 PM in response to: CHAZ

nothing worked for me on  here, I  had to download Connectify and set up a hotspot from my  computers net  connection and was able to connect to that.

http://www.connectify.me/hotspot/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)