Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
17,144 Views 40 Replies Last post: Dec 31, 2013 4:27 PM by RIDLEY5219
RSS
VINCE91 4 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 18, 2012 10:49 AM

Wii U Froze followed by beeping noise

Last night I booted up the Wii U and started playing Scribblenauts Unlimited. 30 Mintues into gameplay the Wii U just froze and started to making a loud beeping noise. I had to unplug the console from the back. I booted it back up and started playing again. After about another 30 mintues this happened again. Has anyone experienced this yet? I remember this happening with the Wii sometimes when the systems ram would "overflow" or become "full" it would just stop. Given that Scribblenauts Unlimited has alot of things going on and you can spawn so many items on the screen I imagine this is what happened. Hopefully Its just this game and not the system itself. What should I do?

MACHBIKER 2,470 posts since
Oct 20, 2011
Nov 18, 2012 11:54 AM in response to: VINCE91
Re: Wii U Froze followed by beeping noise

We haven't seen any similar complaints like this yet, so I suggest that you wait one or two more days to see if the problem persists.  If it does, then you got a bad system, and you can get a free repair by calling Nintendo at 1800-255-3700 (6am-7pm, Pacific Time, 7 days a week).

SKYBOXEROS 6 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 11:16 AM in response to: MACHBIKER

I've had it happen now 4-5 times since yesterday. Scribblenauts and Madden so far today.

UPDATE: Ok Madden did it again at same point in game. Deleting the roster file and will try again and see whats what...

Update 2: Deleted rosters tried again and as soon as CCM game starts and goes to KO or 1st play from scrimmage it locks up.

I've played a ton of play now games with only 1 lockup. Playing a CCM online league (just me) I can't get to a game without a lockup.

Update 3: It's got to be a Madden issue. Just went to a play now game and all is well. Just locks up during online CCM mode. Going to try an offline CCM mode and see if that locks up.

Last Update: Started an offline CCM and no lockup....

OCTOCRISSY 1 posts since
Nov 24, 2012
Nov 24, 2012 1:53 AM in response to: SKYBOXEROS

I've been having the same issue randomly in Batman: Arkham City and Scribblenauts as well.

Hopefully that upcoming patch clears most of this up.

THE_IMPORTER 31 posts since
Jan 9, 2011
Nov 19, 2012 9:34 PM in response to: MACHBIKER

Happened to me 10 minutes ago in Nintendo land while playing Metroid Blast. If this happens a lot during the week, I'm returning this system and I'll wait for Nintendo to get their act together.

I'll tolerate a lot from Nintendo, but not faulty hardware, not from them!

MARIOGOLFER777 2,329 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Nov 18, 2012 11:57 AM in response to: VINCE91

In addition to what Machbiker said, there have been loads of people on here today with problems with their shiny new Wii U. Also, if it happens with just Scribblenauts Unlimited, you may just have a faulty disc.

SKYBOXEROS 6 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 8:55 AM in response to: VINCE91

My system has done this also. Last night twice and then just now. Was playing Scribblenauts and had a created item get killed and as soon as it "died" the screen froze with a buzzing sound.

FIVEDIGITLP 5 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 9:21 AM in response to: VINCE91

I have this exact problem as well. It had happened yesterday afternoon. Twice while playing ZombiU and once during Nintendo Land. I was estimating it at about 30 min in as well, but I was unsure about the time frame.

I have not had the chance to use my Wii U much since then, but I have been afraid to start up a game for fear that this problem may cause more permanent damage. I called Nintendo's tech support line and got a repair number, but I hate sending it in when I just got it! On the bright side, he mentioned they are offering expedited shipping for free.

Oh, and if you do call, be prepared to wait for a while! I called earlier this morning and was probably on hold for about 30 min before getting to speak with a rep. By the time it was all said and done, it had been an hour!

DMALVANO1 3 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 10:04 AM in response to: VINCE91

Same thing happened for me during NintendoLand except mines about 5 minutes into the game. Hope this gets fixed soon

JACOB-U 2 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 10:08 AM in response to: VINCE91

This has happened to me 3 times now in Nintendo Land. I hope it's a software bug.

GLASSFISTS 1 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 10:11 AM in response to: VINCE91

My Wii U has frozen twice so far today.  I have played maybe 5 hours or so.  Yesterday I played a little while and my brother as well with no freezes. 

I have only played Nintendo Land so far and messed around in the  WiiU menus.  I have only frozen after I finish a game and the helpful tips come up.

I am slightly relieved I am not the only one.

KENZI 5 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 10:27 AM in response to: VINCE91

My system froze twice now during donkey kong tracks in Nintendo Land!

Can a Nintendo staff please comments?  I will refund if problem continue to persist..

ASTHERIAL 24 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 12:08 PM in response to: VINCE91

Ok just happened to me again. Interesting thing though I can eject the  nintendo land disc. If it was the machine that function should not work.

GOATBEAR 2 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 12:29 PM in response to: VINCE91

This is happening to me too!  It's got to be a software update corruption, I figure because I also had an error trying to update, then when I finally was able to download the update and apply it, the Wii U would freeze during Nintendoland.... Curious though that it has yet to freeze during Super Mario Bros. U. 

Is anyone from Nintendo reading these boards? 

ASTHERIAL 24 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 12:58 PM in response to: VINCE91

I honestly just think it freezes random on any game if you play it long enough. I agree its gonna be software. I talked to nintendo. (Who by the way was really nice)and honestly they just dont have enough data on this atm. They dont know if its hardware or software because they are told what to do they are not the ones that really fix the issues. I found one of the repair centers and am waiting for a call back to see if they are getting a lot of these in and if so if there are any actual damaged parts in the machines. I have only ever seen a hardware freeze a handfull of times in my life. One was a defective hard drive, the other was a mb with swolen capacitors and the last was over heating. But the machines doesnt run hot so I doubt thats it.

DESSLOK1138 3 posts since
Nov 20, 2012
Nov 20, 2012 12:29 AM in response to: ASTHERIAL

I honestly just think it freezes random on any game if you play it long enough.

Cant be that - I had the same issue (more or less) and it happened RIGHT after a restart, perhaps one mini-game or two later. If that is "long enough" then something is seriously wrong with the WiiU.

MARTIIU 1 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 6:52 PM in response to: VINCE91

Same here, glad im not alone...kind of. My wii u did the same thing 3 times in nintendoland mid-game so i thought it might just be the game. But it also happened in Miiverse for a total of 4 times. IN ONE DAY. I was in the middle of downloading a game from the eshop so i thought maybe it was too much to do that and play nintendoland but i stopped it and it happened again. If i send in my wii u, does that mean i just wasted $60? I really hope this is a software issue and can be fixed otherwise I want full comensation!

DARKGLOBE 5 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 9:40 PM in response to: MARTIIU

I unwrapped my Wii U today waited an hour to download the firmware, Played 5 minutes of Nintendoland looked around the menus then turned it off for a few hours and came back and went into Nintendoland again and it has frozen with the noise 3 times in a row! I'm not at all happy and hope Nintendo can sort this out ASAP. This is the kind of thing that can really ruin reputations (RROD as a great example)

PORTLANDPAUL2 3 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 10:26 PM in response to: VINCE91

My family just opened our Wii U Deluxe Edition today. After setting up the system I was prompted to update, and towards the end of the update it encountered an error. After completing the Mii creation I went back and finished the update and tried to play NintendoLand. I was able to play only ONE level before the game froze and made a horrible beeping noise as others have said, and then I had to unplug it from the wall as well. I booted it back up, and as soon as I tried to start up NintendoLand the second time I encountered the same error.

JAY-RED 2 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 10:55 PM in response to: VINCE91

I can vouch for this happening:

I got a freeze yesterday while playing Zombi U, it was on a loading   screen and nothing I did would get the Wii u to respond, I had to pull   the plug on the back to get it to reset. I thought it was maybe a one   off thing, and with the game its self.

Fast forward to  tonight,  and my wife is playing Nintendo Land. She is playing the Zelda  mini  game, and got a random freeze that not only rendered the  console/pad  useless, but the music stuck on one note. Once again had to  pull the  plug, but this time it wouldnt put anything to the TV, and  the pad said  it could not connect with the console. On the third try,  after taking  out the disc it came back.

Not 15 minutes  later the same thing  happened, only this time I could not get the  console to come back at  all. You could turn it on with the game pad,  but you would get a message  that said it could not connect. It also did  not output any video. I  unplugged it for a few minutes and same thing,  starting to panic I tried  one more time and it came back

For  this to be happening 2 days after getting the console is unacceptble,  and the fact that I have to send in my console I will be without it for  who knows how long is not something that I am looking forward to.  I will be calling tech support tomorrow, but I want  to get this out there, that there is a serious issue with this console.

CEOOHMNIS1 1 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 10:58 PM in response to: VINCE91

I'm having this exact problem with NintendoLand. I have no other games to test it out with! It only started not long ago.

SOULRAK87 5 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 11:06 PM in response to: VINCE91

Seems like this is happening to many of us.  I only have NintendoLand and was playing the Metroid game.  From the videos I've seen it's not a specific game,  more of the console having issues.  Hopefully its a bug that can get updated ( if the console lasts that long before it freezes)  or else the repair/replacements won't be available for some time D:

ASTHERIAL 24 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 11:19 PM in response to: VINCE91

I actually spent a lot of time talking to the tec support about this. They honestly dont know much. It's not cause there bad it's just cause it's the second day of release...so they havent collected a lot of data. I know some of you want to exchange it but I honestly think this is software. If it was hardware its unlikely the disc would eject(I can still get the game disc to eject when freezes) and the tv function on the gamepad will still work. I think the reason the power button doesnt work on the wii u when this problem occurs is because it is ingaged through software(when you hold long enough the machine is told by the os to turn it off...no os contact no off) rather then a physical on off simple open and close wired switch. I honestly would just call up were you bought it, tell them whats happening, ask if they can just increase the time you have to exchange it cause you are trying to save them money(make sure to talk to a manager and get a name so you have someone that is accountable). Dont send it for repair it's 2 days old and thats silly. Canadians retun or exchange there prodcuts  ^_-

SYRIL1RAM 4 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 11:26 PM in response to: VINCE91

So, I wanted to chime in here as long as everybody else is.

Earlier today, I was using the Wii-U and I went into Wii mode to check it out.  I went to the Wii shop place thing and picked up about 5 demos, and on the 6th demo they showed little Mario and Luigi swimming hitting those bricks and they hit the last brick together and they must have hit that coin block for a good 2 or 3 minutes and then it gave me an error with an error number that I didn't think to right down.  I should have.  I then exited the Wii shop and then it froze with a black screen.

I waited for about 10 minutes, hoping that it was doing something, but gave up, and unplugged it.

Plugged it back in after a few minutes.

Later on I played a bit of Nintendo Land, things seemed fine, and then I got to the second level of Metroid Blast and after I hit the A button to start the level, the game froze and the sound repeated the same note repeatedly forever until I unplugged the system again.

If this is an update issue, like I suspect, I can deal with that just fine, no prob.  But if it's a hardware issue, I'll send it back.  I just hate not knowing, I'm here because after calling 1-800-255-3700 (Nintendo's number) the recorded message (because I called too late at night) told me to come here.  You'd think that there would be a representative from Nintendo to respond to these messages, saying at least that they are looking into it even if they didn't know.  I just want to know that it's being looked into at least.

ASTHERIAL 24 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 19, 2012 11:40 PM in response to: VINCE91

Dont worry man im 99 percent sure it's software. There is to much that still works when the machine freezes for it to be hardware(game disc will eject)(gamepad will allow you to use tv function) if it was hardware those wouldnt work cause the machine would be completly locked up. The reason the power button doesnt work is because its a software activated switch. Meaning no software communication no off....I miss original on off switches.

SYRIL1RAM 4 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 20, 2012 1:04 AM in response to: VINCE91

I was just browsing the internet on the Wii U and it froze again.

LORDHART409 1 posts since
Nov 20, 2012
Nov 20, 2012 4:52 AM in response to: VINCE91

So I have had similar issues. I literally downloaded the update and when it asked me to create a Nintendo Network ID the system froze. Well, the image just stood in place while the music played for entering menus but nothing happened. No prompts to do anything the system just stood in limbo for 30 minutes until I unplugged the power from my surge protector because the system itself would not shut off via the Wii U power button. The system also gave me an error message during the pikmin portion of the Wii-Wii U data transfer. It told me to shut off my system and try again. I played New Super Mario Bros. Wii for an hour and luckily nothing has gone wrong. Although, I see more freezing complaints for other games such as Nintendo Land. Hopefully this is just software and Nintendo can give us an update that fixes this.

PYROREAPER 5 posts since
Oct 2, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 11:44 PM in response to: LORDHART409

you know thinking about it my wiiu did this as well, well before nintendo land was put in.

it must be something to do with the OS software itself.

we'll just have to keep an eye out. us forum people shouldn't send in our systems, the people who use those old fasioned "Phone" things will probably get them sent in by this archaic "mail" system and they can observe what those Wiiu systems do and figure out whats up doc.

before you know it maybe in a week or sooner we'll get a software fix. providing people can get it downloaded with no issues xD

THEGEE 1 posts since
Nov 23, 2012
Nov 23, 2012 1:52 PM in response to: VINCE91

I too have been having this issue. The first few days of playing (for hours straight I will admit) nothing happened. While playing Nintendo Land yesterday with my family, the game froze and a loud constant beep occured. I tried holding the power button on the gamepad as well as the console and no luck. Had to pull the power plug. Happend again 5 min after restarting it. This problem happened 3 times and it has really made me worried. I could exhange it for a new one, but lose all my saved data (because Nintendo has yet to catch up with the rest of the gaming world) or wait weeks to get it repaird by Nintendo. I have the Deluxe Model and am curious what other people are planning on doing with this issue?

And I am soooooo glad I didn't transfer all of my Wii data over to the new Wii U otherwise I may have lost all of my Wii shop games and Wii data. I love Nintendo but they really need to get an account system going for when problems like this happen.

ASTHERIAL 24 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Nov 23, 2012 10:58 PM in response to: VINCE91

Im gonna hold out till next week and see if there is a patch. I transfered my data

DEATHCRAWLER 1 posts since
Nov 24, 2012
Nov 24, 2012 7:17 AM in response to: VINCE91

POSSIBLE SOLUTION??

OK, I tried things for hours - resets, memory clean up, internet updates - and then I left the room and let a determined 8 year old at it.  He came back in 5 minutes later and said "Nevermind - I fixed it".  And of course I was skeptical, but I walked back in and I'll be darned if he wasn't playing away.  He said he just pulled out the cord thingy and it started working.

What he had done was disconnect the HDMI cable from the back of the WiiU.  The controller started playing again - no problems.  After about 10 minutes I plugged the TV HDMI back in and everything seems to be working fine - for the last hour.  Might just coincidence?  But I'm posting in case its not.

Good Luck

DEPALMA113 1 posts since
Nov 24, 2012
Nov 24, 2012 7:30 AM in response to: DEATHCRAWLER

The problem is with the Nintendo Land update.   Delete the update and reload it.  Once we did that the game has worked perfectly since.

MUSKRAT778 1 posts since
Nov 24, 2012
Nov 24, 2012 6:05 PM in response to: VINCE91

I haven't tried deleting and reapplying the Nintendoland update since it worked fine for days after updating it. However, I had a hunch that something involving Internet connectivity was causing the crash. After freezing up 3 times within 10 minutes I turned off my wireless router and it is running fine. I wonder if a network bug or malicious activity could be causing the crash...

SUPERBEAN 6 posts since
Nov 28, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 12:57 PM in response to: MUSKRAT778

I noticed this also.  I'm using a Wii LAN Adapter though.  Once I unplugged it Nintendoland worked perfectly.  When connected it would freeze and have the strange sound after a couple of minutes.

KENZI 5 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Nov 26, 2012 2:00 AM in response to: VINCE91

Definitely has nothing to do with the internet connection. I deleted my internet setting and try to play offline. Still crashes in Nintendo Land.  3 times today within 10 mins. It's getting really annoying. I'll try the hdmi method next.

PYROREAPER 5 posts since
Oct 2, 2012
Nov 28, 2012 11:35 PM in response to: VINCE91
non helpful complain post for those looking for solutions, ignore this.

i find it hard to believe this wasn't caught and fixed or even flat out stopped right away with as big a issue its already become.

a small team developing on piece of software can in most cases have a fix within a day or two programmed and tested by 5 or so people. nintendo has MANY in its employment. and no one went hey i had a lock up on this test we should look into this.

no by some miracle everything is perfect in their nintendo land.

i'm hoping they will either find a way to revert the update so other people that just get their wii dont end up returning it due to lack of understanding. or get a fix out to go over the top of the current update for it. which ever can happen faster.

KENZI 5 posts since
Nov 19, 2012
Dec 3, 2012 9:12 AM in response to: PYROREAPER
Re: non helpful complain post for those looking for solutions, ignore this.

I think Nintendo needs to man up and apologize to their customers regarding this problem. Give us a date on when this new patch will be available or recall all your consoles if it's a hardware issue. I like Nintendo products like everyone else but that does not mean I am willing to pay for a defective products.

And btw, the horn noise is coming from the TV speakers. I've unplug the HDMI cable or lower the volume then no noise BUT the console, game, and gamepad still froze..! I even replaced the cheap HDMI cable which bundle with my deluxe bundle and replaced it with a gold plated one, still crashes.

i am sure its MiiVerse that is causing all this. Nintendo, just disable MiiVerse so we can play our game..! I would like to play GAMES with family and friends over the holidays! Not show them how cool MiiVerse is..!

***Edited to remove inappropriate language.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_JOE

COINSTEALER 1 posts since
Dec 25, 2012
Dec 25, 2012 9:50 AM in response to: VINCE91

Yeah I just got my Wii U for Christmas and while I am setting it up, I get a friendly song starting to play that goes like this: BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. So I unplug the Wii U and plug it in again and it happens again. And it happens the next 5 times too. I hope I can get nintendo to fix this because I dont know what to do.

JAMAICANINTENDO 7 posts since
Nov 17, 2012
Dec 25, 2012 11:42 AM in response to: VINCE91

Been having the same problem since I got my Wii U back in November.  Game just froze on me (again!) today (dec 25th 2012) with a loud beeping noise while playing assassins creed 3 solo campaign.  Only thing I could do was unplug my console.  This also happened at least 8 times while playing Madden 13.  Game freezes followed by a loud beeping noise with no button response and only able to unplug wii u console.  Can a Nintendo rep please respond with some kind of assistance on the forum since this appears to be a widespread problem!  Oh and I have updated both system updates that came out since the system launched and I know I my system is up to date.

RIDLEY5219 3 posts since
Dec 31, 2013
Dec 31, 2013 4:27 PM in response to: VINCE91

Mine  froze on zombiu 10  times  during gameplay so  i  called  ninntendo and  got it   fixed  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)