Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
10,884 Views 4 Replies Last post: Jan 12, 2013 11:27 AM by WOLFMANN64
RSS
ELIWOOD8 2 posts since
Nov 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 26, 2012 8:25 PM

Wii U not turning on, blinking red power light

My Wii U is not turning on at all; it has been working fine from launch up until yesterday, but tonight it's not turning on. When I press the power button on the Gamepad I get a message saying that the Gamepad could not connect to the Wii U, and the power light on the Wii U is blinking red. Pressing the power button on the Wii U itself does nothing. I've tried unplugging it completely to reset the AC adapter as well as using a different outlet but nothing changes. I don't have another Wii U or AC adapter to make any further tests, so I'm really at a loss here.

ONE-OF-THREE 6,075 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Nov 26, 2012 8:43 PM in response to: ELIWOOD8
Re: Wii U not turning on, blinking red power light

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_console.jsp

You've probably left the AC Adapter unplugged for the required amount of time for it to reset, but make sure it was for at least 90 seconds and see if that helps.

But if your Wii U still will not power up, then you might just have to call Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number for more troubleshooting and possibly a repair, sorry.

The Wii U Console Will Not Turn On

Situation:

• The Wii U console no longer power on when the power button is pressed.
  •  

Important Note:

• If there is physical damage to the AC adapter or system, click here.
  •  

• If you have already tried resetting the AC adapter and you are still having an issue,click here.
  •  

What to Do:

• First, attempt to use a different wall outlet, one that is known to work. Do not use any power strips, surge protectors, or extension cords. If this does not work, follow these steps:
  •  

• Ensure that the Wii U console is not exposed to high temperatures and that it has proper ventilation (at least 4"/10 cm away from obstructions).
  •  

• Perform the following:
  •  

1. Unplug all accessories from the Wii U console, including any external hard drives or other storage devices.

3. Unplug the AC adapter from the wall outlet and from the back of the Wii U console.

5. Wait at least 90 seconds. This will cause the AC adapter to reset.

• It is extremely important to wait the full 90 seconds. The AC adapter will not reset if you do not wait the full amount of time.
      •  

7. While you are waiting for the AC adapter to reset, check to see if the AC adapter is a licensed accessory by verifying the model number (WUP-002). If the AC adapter is unlicensed, click here.

9. Check for physical damage to the AC adapter. If you find evidence of cracks, frayed cords, or other damage, click here.

11. After 90 seconds has passed, plug the AC adapter into the Wii U console and wall outlet. Do not use any power strips, surge protectors, or extension cords.

Did the Wii U Console power on?

CMP1979 5 posts since
Nov 27, 2012
Nov 27, 2012 6:20 AM in response to: ELIWOOD8

I had the same issue. I called support and they said I had to send it in. I tried it again later last night and it started working again, so I am unsure if I should still send it in.

WOLFMANN64 1 posts since
Jan 12, 2013
Jan 12, 2013 11:27 AM in response to: ELIWOOD8

I have had the same issue, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. My console has not shut it self off or had any problems when it will turn on. That leads me to believe that the power adapter is disfunctional. I don't have any proof that that is the problem, but the fact that it works perfectly when it does turn on makes it seem like theres a loose wire in the power cable somewhere.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)