Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
25,113 Views 34 Replies Last post: Mar 3, 2013 10:44 PM by MASON468
RSS
DREAMERDONOVAN 17 posts since
Dec 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 14, 2012 1:24 PM

Wii U Downloads incredibly slow; anybody know how to fix this?

Alright so I went to speedof.me and tested my Wii U's download speeds, it's an absolutely awful 350kb/s, my regular internet on my computer runs at 25mbps, I've been tryng to figure out how to at least gain some respectable download speeds because it took me 5+ hours to download the 1GB Launch Update and it's taken me almost the whole day to download the Sonic Transformed demo.

I put my Wii U's IP Address (In DHCP it said it was 2.4, I made it 2.14 in my Wii U) and set up a DMZ as well, but still the speeds are abysmal at best. I set it at the optimal MTU Value as well and turned off all devices that used the WiFi, it only increased the kbs by 20, which is not even close to a fix.

I believe that this is also affecting the downloading and recognization of WaraWara Plaza and Miiverse as well, does anyone have any tips on how to increase my download speeds on the Wii U?

I'm using a Belkin F9K Router btw.

BIDNERTECHSUPPORT 6 posts since
Dec 14, 2012
Dec 14, 2012 1:51 PM in response to: DREAMERDONOVAN
Re: Wii U Downloads incredibly slow; anybody know how to fix this?

See if connection is good also make sure that the router is close to the room where you have the Wii U

ALEX762 972 posts since
Jul 23, 2012
Dec 14, 2012 3:27 PM in response to: DREAMERDONOVAN

You should send it for repairs.

ALEX762 972 posts since
Jul 23, 2012
Dec 14, 2012 3:39 PM in response to: DREAMERDONOVAN

well then you just have to deal with it.

FITHEMASTERSWORD 1,458 posts since
Jan 16, 2012
Dec 14, 2012 3:45 PM in response to: DREAMERDONOVAN

This may or may not be reaching a bit... but it may just be the servers for these services being overwhelmed.

ALEX762 972 posts since
Jul 23, 2012
Dec 14, 2012 4:21 PM in response to: DREAMERDONOVAN

Everybody might be on it right now.

ALEX762 972 posts since
Jul 23, 2012
Dec 14, 2012 4:37 PM in response to: DREAMERDONOVAN

Probaly.

MATCAM891 12 posts since
Dec 3, 2012
Dec 14, 2012 6:43 PM in response to: DREAMERDONOVAN

Nintendo would have to open up more bandwith on their end. Also if you have large downloads you can set them to download over night or while your away and when the download is complete the console will shut itself off.

PSYCHOTRIP1 6 posts since
Dec 31, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 2:56 PM in response to: DREAMERDONOVAN

I created an account soley to address this problem. I have been waiting five hours for Batman Arkham City to download, and I need to wait another five hours for it to hopefully finish. Ten hours in total. Who knows how long the installation will take. This is unacceptable. The only reason I haven't given up and gone to gamestop is because the game is already payed for. Does anyone know how to get in touch with customer service? This is not an issue with my internet as everything else in my house is running at optimal speeds, including my pc, my xbox, and my ps3. I even connected a wire to my wii u, hoping it would increase the speed. It did not. I am very aggrivated by this. At this rate I'll be asleep before this game downloads. As I said, if someone knows how to contact customer service I'd appreciate it.

ONE-OF-THREE 6,238 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Dec 31, 2012 3:09 PM in response to: PSYCHOTRIP1

PSYCHOTRIP1  wrote:

I created an account soley to address this problem. I have been waiting five hours for Batman Arkham City to download, and I need to wait another five hours for it to hopefully finish. Ten hours in total. Who knows how long the installation will take. This is unacceptable. The only reason I haven't given up and gone to gamestop is because the game is already payed for. Does anyone know how to get in touch with customer service? This is not an issue with my internet as everything else in my house is running at optimal speeds, including my pc, my xbox, and my ps3. I even connected a wire to my wii u, hoping it would increase the speed. It did not. I am very aggrivated by this. At this rate I'll be asleep before this game downloads. As I said, if someone knows how to contact customer service I'd appreciate it.

You can give a call to Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number, but depending on your Internet download speed, having a ten hour download might not be indicating any type of problem, as I have heard of other users having even longer downloads of 12+ hours or more.

And also, since Batman: Arkham City is a rather large video game, while I haven't download it yet to know for sure, I wouldn't be surprised that the installation might take a hour or so to complete too.

Dec 31, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 3:17 PM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

So you think the wii u is just slow right now? If so then I guess there's nothing I can do about it now....this is very frustrating.

ONE-OF-THREE 6,238 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Dec 31, 2012 3:36 PM in response to: PSYCHOTRIP1

PSYCHOTRIP1  wrote:

So you think the wii u is just slow right now? If so then I guess there's nothing I can do about it now....this is very frustrating.

I am not sure if it is actually a case of the Wii U is just slow, as while I haven't done so in quite a long time to compare, but I used to download Beta games on my PS3 and it used to almost always take all night to do so with each, so I think it had to do more with just the size of the download than to what the console is capable with its download speed.

Dec 31, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 4:05 PM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

I asked this because my xbox downloads entire games significantly faster than this. Maybe I'm spoiled but this is painful.

Edit: My wait time just increased by an hour. So now I'm at 6 hours left and I've been waiting since at least 1 o'clock (its 7 now)

NIGHTFIRE5 3,743 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Dec 31, 2012 5:28 PM in response to: PSYCHOTRIP1

PSYCHOTRIP1  wrote:

I asked this because my xbox downloads entire games significantly faster than this. Maybe I'm spoiled but this is painful.

Edit: My wait time just increased by an hour. So now I'm at 6 hours left and I've been waiting since at least 1 o'clock (its 7 now)

Um...but the Wii U isn't an Xbox 360, so you can't expect it to act the same way that the 360 does. Generally speaking however, the games seem to take longer when downloading them to an external hard drive connected to the Wii U than downloading them to the actual system. Batman: Arkham City-Armored Edition is a big game, so it will take time to download.

Jan 16, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 5:37 PM in response to: NIGHTFIRE5

I doubt it'd be because of a slow hard drive. He tried bandwidth tests with .24 mbps on the Wii U compared to 25 mbps on the PC.

Mar 29, 2011
Dec 31, 2012 5:47 PM in response to: FI THE MASTER SWORD

FI THE MASTER SWORD  wrote:

I doubt it'd be because of a slow hard drive. He tried bandwidth tests with .24 mbps on the Wii U compared to 25 mbps on the PC.

I'm not saying it's because of the hard drive being slow, but just in generally, it takes longer since it's not downloading directly to the Wii U console.

Jan 16, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 5:48 PM in response to: NIGHTFIRE5

Okay, misinterpretation on my part. But still, .24 mbps on the Wii U, that's weird.

Dec 31, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 6:35 PM in response to: NIGHTFIRE5

Ummm....but it is downloading to the wii u itself. And it's still downloading since 1 o'clock. Now it's 9:30 and it just passed 70%. I mean, is this normal? Maybe I'm over reacting but I've never experienced a load time this long unless something was very wrong. It seems that not everyone is experiencing times this long either, and that it's almost random. Maybe I just didn't luck out?

Jan 16, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 6:51 PM in response to: PSYCHOTRIP1

You aren't overreacting. Over 8 hours of download time is ridiculous in my opinion. I hate to say it, but you should shoot Nintendo a call or email. 1-800-255-3700 between 6am and 7pm PST, or this webform.

Mar 29, 2011
Jan 1, 2013 12:37 AM in response to: FI THE MASTER SWORD

You aren't overreacting. Over 8 hours of download time is ridiculous in my opinion. I hate to say it, but you should shoot Nintendo a call or email. 1-800-255-3700 between 6am and 7pm PST, or this webform.

I wouldn't say it's ridiculous. From what I can find, Batman: Arkham City-Armored Edition is currently one of, if not the, single biggest retail game available for download through the Wii U's Nintendo eShop, clocking in at around 19 GB in size. The only other games that I recall even being that close in size are Assassin's Creed III, which is about 17 GB, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition, which is about 16 GB in size. The first Wii U system update takes, if I recall correctly, around 1 GB of data, and it generally takes between one and two hours to just download that update, not counting the install time. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is around 6 GB is size, and most that have downloaded the game through the eShop say that it takes between five to seven hours on average to complete the download, not counting the installing time.

MARIOGOLFER777 2,329 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Jan 1, 2013 3:29 AM in response to: NIGHTFIRE5

NIGHTFIRE5  wrote:

I wouldn't say it's ridiculous. From what I can find, Batman: Arkham City-Armored Edition is currently one of, if not the, single biggest retail game available for download through the Wii U's Nintendo eShop, clocking in at around 19 GB in size. The only other games that I recall even being that close in size are Assassin's Creed III, which is about 17 GB, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition, which is about 16 GB in size. The first Wii U system update takes, if I recall correctly, around 1 GB of data, and it generally takes between one and two hours to just download that update, not counting the install time. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is around 6 GB is size, and most that have downloaded the game through the eShop say that it takes between five to seven hours on average to complete the download, not counting the installing time.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Day 1 update is around 5GB. Because I have 25GB left on my system memory, and I only have Rayman Legends demo and Uplay. I see that Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video and YouTube come pre-installed on the Wii U. Do those already take up space, and the update really does take up 1GB? Because I deleted Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video.

Happy new year everyone!

Jan 16, 2012
Jan 1, 2013 7:43 AM in response to: MARIOGOLFER777

Actually, it is 1GB for the update. The 5GB thing is outdated and was a misconception anyway. The update takes 5GB of the memory when it is uncompressed, and if it was 5GB, it could've taken 2-4 hours instead of 1 for me.

Jul 11, 2012
Jan 1, 2013 8:11 AM in response to: FI THE MASTER SWORD

Actually, it is 1GB for the update. The 5GB thing is outdated and was a misconception anyway. The update takes 5GB of the memory when it is uncompressed, and if it was 5GB, it could've taken 2-4 hours instead of 1 for me.

Ok, now I get it. When I did the update, I got disconnected from the server THREE TIMES! Luckily, the update picked off from where it left off, and on the forth try, it finally downloaded and installed it. Installing only took about 10 minutes.

Jan 16, 2012
Jan 1, 2013 8:16 AM in response to: MARIOGOLFER777

Most early reports said that it was 5GB, so I can't blame you for believing it.

Jul 11, 2012
Jan 1, 2013 8:38 AM in response to: FI THE MASTER SWORD

Well, if when I got my Wii U, if 5GB was already gone, could it be because of Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube? I deleted everything but youtube; forgot I deleted Netflix.

Jan 16, 2012
Jan 1, 2013 8:41 AM in response to: MARIOGOLFER777

Just found this from the memory FAQ:

1. How much storage space do I have?
    • Some of the storage space is used by the system software.   The 8GB Basic Set has approximately 3GB available for data storage and  downloads.  The 32GB Deluxe Set has approximately 25GB available for  data storage and downloads.

3. What happened to my storage space?
    • Just like other hardware with internal storage, the package  indicates the total size of the internal storage capacity. A certain  amount of space is used by the operating system, pre-installed software,  save data, account-related data and other kinds of data.

Personally, I think it's shady to advertise 32GB, but only allow use of 25GB.

Jan 16, 2012
Jan 1, 2013 8:01 AM in response to: NIGHTFIRE5

Okay, I see your point. I was thinking of the .24 mbps. But I'm still baffled by the vast difference of speed from the Wii U compared to his computer if they're on the same connection.

JM9843 1 posts since
Jan 2, 2013
Jan 2, 2013 7:11 PM in response to: DREAMERDONOVAN

People should stop making excuses for Nintendo.  The eShop is an abysmally slow experience.

I purchased my first title today (Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed) which is a little over 5 GB.  On my 50 Mbps connection, it took over 2 hours to download completely and is still going on the "Installing software" phase (an additional 1/2 hour total time).  It is excrutiatingly slow compared to Xbox Live and pretty much anything else that I do on the web.  For a point of reference, I recently downloaded a 6.8 GB movie (so it was larger than the Sonic game) and it only took 18 minutes and 45 seconds to complete on my internet connection.

As it stands now, eShop customers should just forget about playing any retail game that they purchase on the same day - no matter how fast their internet service.  And that is just a terrible experience for the customer.  Nintendo needs to get with the program one way or the other.  Whether it's doing what is necessary to fix their backend or swallowing their pride and using Amazon or Google to provide the necessary bandwidth.

Jan 16, 2012
Jan 3, 2013 3:34 AM in response to: JM9843

... Good thing I wasn't "making excuses..."

COLDSILENCE 1 posts since
Jan 4, 2013
Jan 4, 2013 1:09 PM in response to: DREAMERDONOVAN

If your wired or wireless devices and PC get speeds far higher and more in the expected range for your provider, you have no problems on your end. Wireless speeds are natively slower because of the lack of an ethernet cable directly plugged in and distance from the router in the home. The further you are away from the router and the more walls and other obstacles in the way the less stable your connection will be. It's just like the signal on a cellphone affected by trees surrounding the home or area. The differences are usually about a quarter as fast as normal. My nornal wired speeds are 105/110Mbps download and 15/20Mbps upload, but that's because I wanted the higher speed package, due to the number of devices I have connected in the home. The higher speed only ensures they all have stable connections in the home while online.

As an aside, most game packet data while online in multiplayer gaming only requires 6Mbps to remain stable and consistent. Issues regarding lag while in games, have nothing to do with the user connection, but the developer's server response time. Downloading games from the service is a request to the server for that file and the server's bandwidth cap per user when it reaches a certain request capacity limit

My wireless connection is about 20Mbps download and 5 up. If your wireless devices are wireless B/G or N, they will gain more capacity for speed as you move from B up to N and now more recently AC. Most of my devices are capable of wireless N, and the Wii U uses wireless B/G/N connectivity, so the speeds it is capable of are certainly faster. The issue we are experiencing, IMO, is resulting from Nintendo's own server capacity and bandwidth limitation issues at this time. When updates are submitted in the future to both the firmware and server, bandwidth problems will be a non-issue. Server capacity and quality could change, but that will be up to Nintendo.

I have been a lifelong Nintendo console owner, and I will continue to support games I enjoy and want to play (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are my mainstays). I own an Xbox 360 also. Its downloads are extremely fast whether connected wirelessly or wired. Anyone that has an Xbox LIVE account knows that game downloads are among the fastest in the industry. That said, I downloaded four major games from the Nintendo eShop: Ninja Gaiden 3, ZombiU, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Batman Arkham City. Batman was by far the slowest download of all, around 8-9 hours and following that a 30 min install time, it was the largest file at 19GB. The other three were smaller files 6GB or so and took around 3-5 hours to complete and 5-15 minutes to install (I did buy an external hard drive, of course). Nintendo is still a company I will always trust for the quality of their own games. This is simply going to be an issue of patience as Nintendo learns and grows through this new experience, for them, of online gaming and digital distribution. Eventhough it is sometimes a very annoying beast to wait through, the end result is the quality experience we expect.

Here's to a speedier Nintendo eShop for digital downloads and faster system processing for installs in the future.

MASON468 1 posts since
Nov 25, 2012
Mar 3, 2013 10:44 PM in response to: DREAMERDONOVAN

Not sure if you found the fix but it is a firewall issue. In your router you should be able to open ports. I dont know the ports you need to open so I recommend if you have an option to open all of the ports then do so. You might have an option to put your router into DMZ plus mode in your firewall settings which is essential the same as opening all your ports. To test to see if it has made a difference goto "http://www.bandwidthplace.com/" and start the speed test. I recommend using a server close to you and also testing your PC's speed so you can see how fast it is compared to your Wii U. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)