Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
19,478 Views 9 Replies Last post: Dec 21, 2012 8:39 AM by MARIOGOLFER777
RSS
ZORAMIKAU 155 posts since
May 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 19, 2012 3:00 PM

Wii Suddenly won't play discs

So today I started having a problem with my Wii. There is something that happened in the past as well, so I will list both.

About a week or two ago I took a game out of my Wii, I believe it was Monster Hunter Tri. I took the game out then put in another game, Super Smash Bros Brawl I think, then the wii turned on. It came up to the home screen and it still said it had Monster Hunter Tri in, so I pressed start on the game screen, thinking it was a slight error and it would probably just go to Super Smash Bros Brawl. So then the wii just sent me back to the home screen, and now it said SSBB was in. So it worked fine after that.

Now today, the Wii just won't play any discs. I know it worked at least two days ago and probably yesterday, I wasn't home to check at any point yesterday, but today I put Xenoblade in. The home screen said the game was in, so I pressed start on the screen. Xenoblade starts loading, and it says "Reading disc" across the screen, blinking slightly. It said an error had occured, take the disc out, turn the power off, and try again pretty much. I tried turning the power off, it wouldn't turn off. So I took the power cable out of the back of the Wii and then put it back in. I tried again, after cleaning the disc properly, and still the same thing happened. So then I tried a different game, The Last Story. The same thing happened, except it didn't say "Reading Disc" when it was loading. Also, I listened to the disc load and it sounded like the disc was kinda skipping at one point, but I don't know if that's how it normally sounds or what. And the disc might not even be skipping. The disc did stop being read within the Wii though when the screen saying to turn the power off came up and stuff.

So I'm stumped. I haven't tried any other games, but I assume they're the same. Maybe the Wii will fix itself magically in a day or something, but as of right now something is up. I'll keep you updated if you try to help me.

ONE-OF-THREE 5,684 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Dec 19, 2012 3:22 PM in response to: ZORAMIKAU
Re: Wii Suddenly won't play discs

The earlier problem of your Wii console not registering that you switched from "Monster Hunter Tri" to "Super Smash Bros Brawl", almost sounds like some type of system file problem, or perhaps till you test more of your video games it might have been just some unusual glitch that won't happen again.

Unfortunately, but the current problem of your console no longer being able to read the discs, may mean that you will have your console repaired, as that could be a problem with the disc drive, the optical lens, or even perhaps something like the earlier problem and possibly being due to a system file being damaged or corrupted, sorry.

But one thing you could try is the Wii Lens Cleaning Kit (not available at the moment, but perhaps your local stores might have some in stock) to see if cleaning the Wii console lens will help.

But if that doesn't cure the problem, then the problem is more serious and you'll need to call Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number, or their webform to set up the repair, as there might not be anything else you can do, sorry.

BIGBOY102 16 posts since
Aug 9, 2010
Dec 19, 2012 3:23 PM in response to: ZORAMIKAU

This happened to our own Wii years ago. We tried various lens cleaners (discs that you can insert in the Wii after spraying them with a spray). It then started working. It was just like that, it wouldn't play any games any more, and that seemed to have fixed it. I hope that works.

ONE-OF-THREE 5,684 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Dec 19, 2012 3:36 PM in response to: ZORAMIKAU

ZORAMIKAU  wrote:

Thank you both! I will definitely try to find a lens cleaner then. Just curious, where did you find the lens cleaner BIGBOY102?

The stuff on the Nintendo Store, as ONE-OF-THREE said is out. So if you found it at a local store or something that'd be good to know where I could find some.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Lens-Cleaning-Kit-Nintendo/dp/B001GZT1UI/ref=pd_ybh_1

You're welcome, and it looks like the cleaning kit is available at Amazon.com, if that you can't find them anywhere else.

BIGBOY102 16 posts since
Aug 9, 2010
Dec 19, 2012 4:04 PM in response to: ZORAMIKAU

We actually found some in stores, but unfortuantely, they weren't the official Nintendo ones, and I don't reccomend them, especially since they work best in DVD playing devices, and well, the Wii can't do that...

MARIOGOLFER777 2,329 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Dec 21, 2012 8:39 AM in response to: ZORAMIKAU

Adding on to what Wiiman4 said, Nintendo's number is 1-800-255-3700 if you need/want to call them.

WIIMAN4 17 posts since
Nov 7, 2012
Dec 21, 2012 7:48 AM in response to: ZORAMIKAU

maybe you need to either call nintendo number or send it in for immedate repairs

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)