Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
81,085 Views 7 Replies Last post: Oct 23, 2010 12:15 PM by BLADES67
RSS
3 posts since
May 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 4, 2010 2:55 PM

Optimal settings for streaming Netflix through Wii

I’m trying to increase the wireless connection speed of my Wii for better video quality on streaming Netflix movies.  I know that the Wii won’t give HD-quality, which is fine since my TV is SD.  But I want to get DVD-quality, if possible.

When I do a speed test with the Wii’s Opera internet browser, the stats are: down 2.99 Mb/s, up .37 Mb/s, ping 45 ms.  My computer on a wired connection to the router gets: down 22.15 Mb/s, up 3.12 Mb/s, ping 35 ms.  I read a couple of things that suggested that doing a speed test through the Wii’s Opera browser isn’t accurate since it will show you a slower speed than what you are actually getting.  In any case, the connection speed is fine for online gaming with the Wii and for my kids’ DSi’s.

I realize that the placement of the router, other concurrent internet connections, interference from electronics, interference from neighbors’ connections etc. affect the wireless connection speed, but is there any tweaking of my settings (see below) that will help increase speed?

I already looked at the “Successful Router Connections – Linksys” thread, but it didn’t help for my model.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G2 V1

firmware version: 1.0.04 build 005, Jun. 16, 2009

Internet Connection Type: Automatic Configuration – DHCP

MTU: Manual

Size: 1500

DHCP Server: Enable

Wireless Configuration: Manual

Wireless Network Mode: Mixed

Wireless Channel: 1 (no discernable difference if using channel 11)

Security Mode: WPA2 Personal

WPA Algorithms: TKIP+AES

Wireless MAC Filter: disable

Authentication Type: Auto

Basic Rate: Default

Transmission Rate:  Auto

CTS Protection Mode: Disable

Frame Burst: Disable

Beacon Interval: 100

DTIM Interval: 1

Fragmentation Threshold: 2346

RTS Threshold: 2347

AP Isolation: Off

Wii internet settings

Type of Security: WPA-PSK (TKIP)

Auto-Obtain IP Address: Yes

Auto-Obtain DNS: Yes

Proxy Server: Don’t Use

MTU Value: 0

ONE-OF-THREE 6,027 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
May 13, 2010 4:54 PM in response to: ECMNEHPETS
Re: Optimal settings for streaming Netflix through Wii

ECMNEHPETS  wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas?

Unfortunately, but since the Netflix service is so new to the Nintendo universe, very few of us here have had any experience with it, sorry.

So probably your best bet is to call Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number and see if they know any tips and can talk you through any needed changes to your router or anything else that might improve the streaming speed for you.

11 posts since
May 21, 2010
May 25, 2010 3:33 PM in response to: ECMNEHPETS

Well, I do know that Wii supports WPA2 security and can handle wireless N. It comes down, mainly, to what your router can handle. Is your router designed to handle a lot of multimedia streaming? For example, I have this router and it's designed to handle video streaming quite well.

1 posts since
May 28, 2010
May 28, 2010 12:00 PM in response to: ECMNEHPETS

First off it's best to use a wired connection as wireless will always have a higher rate of jitter/lost packets.

Change your Wii settings to the following:

IP address:     Set to a static:

DNS:              Use OpenDNS as it's faster then your ISP (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)

MTU:              Set to Auto which is (zero) and not the 1500.  By default the system will use 1500 but as your signal degrades with interference it lower itself for a  better connection.  

On your Router: Enable DMZ and put your Wii IP address within it.

1 posts since
Sep 16, 2010
Sep 16, 2010 7:33 AM in response to: MRSAMUS

Just what is Optimal..??? My Netgear N-300 (WNR2000v2) works great, except I get an occasional "retrieving" interruption. Is this normal ??? Sometimes I can watch a whole movie with no interruptions, while other times ir interrupts frequently.. frustrating..

1 posts since
Oct 23, 2010
Oct 23, 2010 12:15 PM in response to: BEGLIN00

My Wii/Netflix is having the same concern. My wi-fi speed is high, no concern there, but I can't seem to watch a 23 minute show(Man vs. Food--Great show!) with out my Netflix "retrieving" 4 or 5 times.

I moved my Wii so it would be 3 feet closer to the router, and the tv wouldn't be between the Wii and router; no help. I read else where about changing my router channel to "11", will that actually help?

Thanks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)