Skip navigation

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
10,170 Views 16 Replies Last post: May 31, 2014 7:22 AM by JMR23
RSS
METROIDPLAYER 11 posts since
Dec 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 25, 2012 6:48 PM

Gamepad disconnecting

My kids got the wii u today and haven't been able to play a single game without the gamepad disconnecting at least once.  I've tried putting the console both below the tv in a wooden entertainment center as well as above.  The wireless router is on the other side of the house.  There is a PS3 but I've turned it off along with the Dish Network receiver with no success.  Even with the kids sitting 5 feet in front of the console, they still get the disconnect.  Any ideas on what I should do?  I can't find any troubleshooting documentation for this one and I expect Nintendos phones will be ringing off the hooks tomorrow.

_TANIS_ 1,730 posts since
Apr 24, 2010
Dec 25, 2012 7:27 PM in response to: METROIDPLAYER
Re: Gamepad disconnecting

Have you applied al of the system updates?

Is the game pad fully charged?

Have you tried resetting the gamepad by holding down the power button to power it off, waiting 30 seconds, then powering it back on?

SNESNESCUBE64 1,147 posts since
Aug 4, 2012
Dec 25, 2012 8:02 PM in response to: METROIDPLAYER

Doesnt the wii u utalize a sensor bar? That may be your problem because you could be too close or two far away. If it does utalize the sensor bar you could try unplugging it and replugging it back. It could just be lose. The rechargable battery pack my not be screwed in all the way either because it was rush manufactured to meet the christmas deadline.

JUSTDANCE4EVER 11 posts since
Dec 25, 2012
Dec 25, 2012 9:20 PM in response to: METROIDPLAYER

Most of the Nintendo products it seems are disconnecting and kind of going haywire. Their shop channels are all down and nothing seems to be working if it has any connection what so ever to the internet. It stinks that this happens on Christmas.

SIRTAHNGARTH 18 posts since
Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 1:52 PM in response to: METROIDPLAYER

jsyk generally you should not return your hardware to the store, especially if you've bought anything online, because you can't transfer your account.,

Let Nintendo fix it for you, they are great about it. But if you're still having the problem, try to figure out why first.

How far are you standing from the system? It has a limited range, at which the connection can be unstable, and if you go any further it may disconnect completely. The range is also shorter if there are walls or other obstructions in the way.

DANBIRGRE 13 posts since
Dec 26, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 9:28 PM in response to: METROIDPLAYER

Do you have the wii u or gamepad near any wifi enabled devices? My gamepad gave me trouble when I had it near my netbook at one point. But if you can not find a solution do not be afraid to contact nintendo and use the customer support because I did for a wifi related issue and they helped alot and they really know what they are doing.

WINNIPEGDUDE 28 posts since
Oct 15, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 11:50 AM in response to: METROIDPLAYER

Not sure if this fix would work for you but it did for me. I was having a similar issue. The gamepad was constantly losing the signal from the console. Couldn't get through a single game in Nintendoland without the signal dropping. I read on here to try plugging the console diretly into the power outlet rather than into a power bar. That didn;t work. Same post suggested using a different outlet all together. I figured it was worth a shot. So I unpluggged the WiiU from the outlet behind my TV (tv, ps3, cable box, sound system all in that outlet) and plugged it into a different outlet.

Surprisingly it worked! I haven't had a single dropped connection. I had tried everything before, dissconnecting my router etc etc.

The original post said something about the console not receiving enough power or something. The technicalities don't matter to me cause it worked. Its worth a shot. 

SEAN_AM 2 posts since
Dec 31, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 12:48 PM in response to: METROIDPLAYER

For me this only happens during one part of one game: Captain Falcon's Twister Race from Nintendo Land.

I suspect that it happens due to the way that particular game requires the player to hold the GamePad, but it still makes the game almost unlpayable; there's nothing worse in a game than when you're hitting your stride and suddenly lose control of the apparatus for no apparent reason. I've tried operating the GamePad within a few feet from the console and still have the same problem. It's as though the GamePad loses track of which direction is up. Fully-charged, re-synched, plugged-in, whatever; nothing seems to help.

CORONADO7 7 posts since
Jan 10, 2013
Jan 10, 2013 3:36 PM in response to: SEAN_AM

solve it with the help of Winnipegdude commented, thanks.

CHILENIN 2 posts since
Dec 31, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 9:49 PM in response to: METROIDPLAYER

This is a form of wireless interference that should have been addressed by Nintendo, either before making the hardware (is not common problem these days) or by a warning. As some users have said, try to plug in your Wii U in different outlets until the pad stop disconnecting. I think the issue is related with the almost perfect phase between the TV and the WiiU when both are powered by the same outlet. This can be stopped when the architecture of the wireless receiver is built, but for now try different outlets.

JMR23 8 posts since
Dec 27, 2012
May 31, 2014 7:22 AM in response to: CHILENIN

Ihave tried this and it still doesn't work.  My brother tried his gamepad and it works fine, he took our gamepad to his house and it didn't work there.

When I say didn't work, it is only working when within 3 feet of the console.  This did not happen for the first year.  The only changes have been some new games and whatever updates we were forced to do.  I suspected Skylanders as a possible problem (from this past Christmas) but it did not happen until a couple months after playing it.  I tried unplugging the skylander portal, and I still cannot play wii u games.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)