Skip navigation
This discussion is locked

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
234,083 Views 30 Replies Last post: Aug 24, 2014 10:11 AM by NOA_TECH_SERGIO
RSS
NIGHTHALK80 2 posts since
Dec 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 26, 2012 3:24 PM

Wii does not play DVD's????

Had I known that the Wii does not play DVD's I wouldn't of bought one for my kids for Christmas. So I guess I will take it back to the store with the 6 games, 2 extra controllers, 2 gamer controlers and the 2 nunchuck's. I guess I will buy a PS3 or an Xbox in place of it. Seems pretty stupid to not offer it to play DVD when it has a DVD reader built into it. Chalk it up as a loss for Nintendo........

ONE-OF-THREE 5,901 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Dec 26, 2012 3:31 PM in response to: NIGHTHALK80
Re: Wii does not play DVD's????

Yes, it is true that neither the Wii console, or now the new Wii U do not play DVDs, CDs, Blue-Ray movie discs, but the reason is that most homes might already have these type of devices to play those, so that by adding in these features to Nintendo consoles, it will only add in additional costs for the consumer to an already high price that is for the Wii U.

MYNICESCREENNAME 136 posts since
Jul 1, 2011
Dec 26, 2012 5:56 PM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

Some people don't have the money to purchase blu-ray, dvd and, cd players. So they want Nintendo to make a console that can play everything. But, Nintendo knows the extra features will drive up the cost for the console, and since only some people can't afford blu-ray, dvd and, cd players. Nintendo doesn't want to punish the majority that have blu-ray, dvd and, cd players with the additional cost.

Hence, the Wii doesn't play DVDs.

DARK_NESS 129 posts since
Apr 22, 2010
Dec 30, 2012 12:03 AM in response to: MYNICESCREENNAME

MYNICESCREENNAME  wrote:

Some people don't have the money to purchase blu-ray, dvd and, cd players. So they want Nintendo to make a console that can play everything. But, Nintendo knows the extra features will drive up the cost for the console, and since only some people can't afford blu-ray, dvd and, cd players. Nintendo doesn't want to punish the majority that have blu-ray, dvd and, cd players with the additional cost.

at least allow to play cds

NIGHTFIRE5 3,534 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Dec 30, 2012 1:57 AM in response to: DARK_NESS

DARK_NESS  wrote:

MYNICESCREENNAME  wrote:

at least allow to play cds

No, the Wii console can only play Nintendo Wii game discs, or if you have an older model Nintendo Wii console, Nintendo Wii and Nintendo Gamecube game discs. The only way to have music play on a Nintendo Wii console is to first put the music files on an SD Card, insert it into the Nintendo Wii console, and then play the music using the features of Photo Channel on the Wii console.

JACKLLEE 1 posts since
Dec 28, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 3:42 PM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

Why use Wii to do that? You should buy a DVD player.

***Edited to remove external link.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_JOE

STORMPROBE 1 posts since
Nov 6, 2013
Nov 6, 2013 4:12 PM in response to: JACKLLEE

There are too many boxes and cables around my tv as it is. It would be nice to play DVDs on the Wii instead of having the Wii and another DVD player at the TV. The Wii already has a DVD drive inside. Even if they charged extra for the DVD software, that would be something. DVD playback would also be a selling point for the Wii. It is simply a bad move not allowing DVD playback.

WINNIPEGDUDE 28 posts since
Oct 15, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 11:41 AM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

Yeah really stupid idea of them. They've only sold 100 million wii's.I'm sure they've had lots of lost sales cause of it......

The fact your returning it to buy a PS3 is puzzling. You could buy a Wii AND a DVD player for much less than the cost of a PS3. The simple reason they didn't include DVD functionality is that 99.9% of wii purchasers would already have a DVD player and to include functionality would icnrease the cost of the console for the licensing costs required.

SPACEMARINE13 25 posts since
Oct 12, 2013
Nov 12, 2013 2:52 PM in response to: WINNIPEGDUDE

Actually,the Wii has sold more units than both the xbox and the PS3 even without the feature to play movies and CD's.Get your facts straight

GLACIUSX25 1,977 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Nov 12, 2013 2:56 PM in response to: SPACEMARINE13

Please try to avoid bumping topics that have already been long since resolved.

DESIMUS1 1 posts since
Jul 28, 2014
Jul 28, 2014 10:12 PM in response to: WINNIPEGDUDE

NightHalk80 ..... i know i'm late replying to this comment about the Wii only having 100 million sales, but this is a funny statement that doesn't make sense, considering Nintendo sold more Wii consoles than Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 at that point in time.

And Sony didn't even think they were ever going to make a profit on the PS3. i don't know if they ever did. plus, i don't like a company that makes a game system, and yet they're main objective wan't even to make a game system for the gamer .....

for Sony, it was to win the BluRay war over HD-DVD. That's the only reason BluRays won out and we're not using HD-DVD's.  All that money was worth more to Sony because they're getting paid every time a BluRay Disc gets used everywhere in the world.

MARIOKART7HOPEFULLY 210 posts since
Dec 17, 2011
Dec 31, 2012 11:50 AM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

Well, the question is, do your kids care about the DVD feature? Would they rather watch DVDs and play xbox/ps games, or not watch DVDs and play Wii games? And if they really want to watch movies, just get them a DVD player for their birthday or something.

EARTHBOUND33 2,270 posts since
Jul 1, 2010
Dec 31, 2012 11:56 AM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

Well the thing with Nintendo is that when they make a game console, they make a game console. You know, that thing that people play games on. This is an idea that all of the other companies have given up on or never even cared about. Sure, Nintendo could come up with a "game console" that does this, that, and the other thing like all of the other "competitors". But that loses sight on what a game console is supposed to be. A game console is meant to play games, and not supposed to be some kind of multimedia super machine. We have other devices for our non-gaming needs. If you wish to sacrifice the quality of games for a simple dvd feature gimmick, then go right ahead. If not, go get a dvd player, and enjoy the best games on the maket today on your nintendo wii.

FITHEMASTERSWORD 1,458 posts since
Jan 16, 2012
Dec 31, 2012 12:40 PM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

I guess playing games on a game console is no longer the most important. Sad to see that some gamers have come to this.

CHRIMBUSCHRIST 18 posts since
Dec 31, 2012
Jan 2, 2013 8:25 AM in response to: FI THE MASTER SWORD

I wasn't aware people actually bought DVD's still

I understand your frustration but, If you've taken it back already I hope you got what you wanted. If not, consider the WiiU since it's pretty close in price to the 360 and PS3. It's a great system. Still no DVD playback BUT, it supports all of the big steaming services, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video. Netflix has a special verion for kids. Lots of content without having to buy tons of DVD's.

I also don't understand when people say 349 usd is a high price? Are you kidding me? Thats just barely enough to buy you a SINGLE decent GPU for a PC. You might get a 7890 or 7950 for that price, good luck. For 349 you're getting an entire system with tons of features, however I wouldn't have a problem with it being less...lol. I think it's a fair asking price. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new xboxes and ps3s start out at least above 400usd.

***Edited to remove inappropriate language.***

Jan 16, 2012
Jan 1, 2013 7:41 AM in response to: CHRIMBUSCHRIST

That's what I thought. It was a kick in the shin to the 360 and PS3. But this is starting to get off topic, we should stop posting or a mod may lock this.

THECLAW 449 posts since
Dec 20, 2010
Jan 4, 2013 10:36 AM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

Wii does not have a genuine DVD reader. Nintendo used an unlicensed clone of DVD, and cannot legally market Wii or its games under with any portion of copyrighted "DVD" branding. Notice how Wii games never mention DVD anywhere in the manual, packaging, label art, etc.

Jan 16, 2012
Jan 4, 2013 12:03 PM in response to: THECLAW

Unlicensed? Where's your proof, the Wii optical disk is designed by Panasonic.

THECLAW 449 posts since
Dec 20, 2010
Jan 21, 2013 12:57 AM in response to: FI THE MASTER SWORD

Look at Wii game discs and packaging. You'll notice something: No use of any form of DVD branding or logo.

Then compare it to the PlayStation 2. Clear as day DVD-ROM symbol printed right on the label art of DVD formatted PS2 games, as well as on the back of their boxes.

RYAN2013CAMPBELL 1 posts since
Jan 20, 2013
Jan 21, 2013 9:07 AM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

This article lists 3 solutions for playing DVDs on Wii:

***Edited to remove external link.***

Jan 16, 2012
Jan 20, 2013 8:25 AM in response to: RYAN2013CAMPBELL

Sorry, but two of those methods require modding the Wii, which the mods wouldn't appreciate, and the other violates copy protection laws.

DARK_NESS 129 posts since
Apr 22, 2010
Jan 20, 2013 10:40 PM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

i guess nintendo needs a license to allow dvd play back?

PRINCESSPEACH52 18 posts since
Feb 8, 2013
Feb 8, 2013 12:55 PM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

The Wii does not read DVDs, Blu-Rays, or any kind of disc like that. It only reads Wii discs and Gamecube discs. It can also read SD cards if you put it in the SD Card Slot. You can dowload Netflix from the Wii Shop for 0 points (that means it's free). You can get a free trial for a week from there to play any movies you want. That is the only to play DVDs from a Wii (As far as I know).

PAPER_MARIO 41 posts since
Nov 8, 2012
Feb 10, 2013 6:00 AM in response to: PRINCESSPEACH52

It's actually a good thing that the Wii can't play DVDs, otherwise the lens that reads the disc would wear out much quicker, which is why buying a separate DVD player is a much better idea.

JOSHUA527 52 posts since
Jul 29, 2013
Aug 1, 2013 11:31 PM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

Well, it looks like you should have taken the time to understand what the Nintendo Wii was capable of before you bought the system.  That's one reason the Nintendo Wii is more affordable than other game systems.  It's made specifically for gaming.  Sure, it's a bummer, but the first thing Nintendo focuses on when making their game systems is the gaming experience.  If they add a CD/DVD drive to the system, then the price would increase due to the costs of the parts and the work that would be needed to put into it.  Why not use the Wii for Netflix?  That's better than playing DVD's in my opinion.  You may not have every move that you'd want available, but there's a wide variety of movies and TV shows to choose from.  Nintendo has been trying to improve the uses of their current systems, but they'll concentrate more on the gaming experience.  Also. you said you were worried about your kids breaking the Wii and that it'd be useless.  Well, are your kids prone to breaking a game system that doesn't play CDs/DVDs or a tendacy to break Wii system.  Wven if they DID break the the Wii and it DID have the ability to play disc based movies, it'd still be useless.  I'm sure if you get them a PS3 or a 360, there's a chance where your kids may break it accidently and it'd be useless.  Same goes for DVD and Blu-ray players.

DSIBOI77 1 posts since
Jan 1, 2014
Jan 1, 2014 7:01 PM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

NO nintendo system plays Dvds sadly

SHARE2JASON123 2 posts since
Jan 2, 2014
Jan 2, 2014 11:17 PM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

sure that no wii can play dvd

MEGATRONFAN 207 posts since
Apr 9, 2010
Aug 24, 2014 7:03 AM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

The sad part is in 2014 the wiiu still cant play dvds

REDTECH23 332 posts since
Jun 1, 2014
Aug 24, 2014 8:47 AM in response to: MEGATRONFAN

Please don't bump old threads and/or threads that have already long since been resolved.

Plus, is reading DVDs really necessary? This is ridiculous.

Also... @EarthBound33 Thank you!!!

NOA_TECH_SERGIO 2 posts since
Aug 13, 2014
Aug 24, 2014 10:11 AM in response to: NIGHTHALK80

Hi everyone. I've locked this thread since it's become a little bit too chatty for what we're trying to accomplish with our Tech Support Forums.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)