Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
3,147 Views 5 Replies Last post: Dec 30, 2012 12:06 AM by DARK_NESS
RSS
DOOWAADIDDY 18 posts since
Nov 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2012 6:53 PM

Wii U Pro Controller

I just got a Wii U Pro controller and I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed in one design aspect.

The manual says it takes approximately 4.5 hours to charge the thing.  The Wii U powers down after an hour unless I sit there and keep hitting the screen every once in a while. and the battery on the gamepad lasts like 3 hours and then shuts off the system....

How am I supposed to charge this thing full before I start using it? Why would nintendo make the charging connecter different than the one on the gamepad?

Or allow it to charge when the system is powered off since the system USB is the only option. I'm sure there is power running through there even on standby.

Could we get a software fix for this please?  Cause it'd be nice to be able to charge it during my non play hours rather than use it corded which of course makes it a wired, wireless controller

ONE-OF-THREE 6,205 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Dec 29, 2012 7:07 PM in response to: DOOWAADIDDY
Re: Wii U Pro Controller

Sorry, but the Wii U console does have to be powered up to be able to charge the Pro Controller, but if you head into the "System Settings" on the GamePad and scroll over till you find the "Auto Power-Down" menu screen, if you click on "Don't Use", the Wii U will not automatically shut off and you can leave it indefinitely running till your controller is fully charged.

SIRTAHNGARTH 18 posts since
Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 7:23 PM in response to: DOOWAADIDDY

There is already a software fix for your issue: Go into Wii options and change the settings for the auto power-down. You have to have been in the System Settings screen at least once? The auto power down setting is kind of hard to miss. Just make it longer or turn it off.

Also, I may be wrong on this, but you should be able to charge the controller by plugging it into any powered USB port on a computer or charging device.

ONE-OF-THREE 6,205 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Dec 29, 2012 7:29 PM in response to: SIRTAHNGARTH

SIRTAHNGARTH  wrote:

Also, I may be wrong on this, but you should be able to charge the controller by plugging it into any powered USB port on a computer or charging device.

While that is probably true, I'd ''rather be safe than sorry'' and wouldn't really recommend doing that, as the USB ports on other electronic devices might have different voltage outputs than what the Wii U has, and that could possibly end up damaging the Pro Controller's rechargeable battery and/or other internal components.

SIRTAHNGARTH 18 posts since
Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 7:42 PM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

There wouldn't be any harm in doing this, the USB 2.0 specification dictates specific voltages, it should generally be safe to plug any USB device into any powered USB port to charge it, as long as it is working properly.

I realize you are probably in a position where you can't/won't suggest to anyone to use a non-Nintendo device for any purpose, but both the Wii U Console's USB ports and the USB ports on any properly made USB device generally conform to the standard. There is an occasional exception in extrnal USB hard drives, which sometimes require 2 USB ports to get sufficient current to operate.

DARK_NESS 135 posts since
Apr 22, 2010
Dec 30, 2012 12:06 AM in response to: SIRTAHNGARTH

SIRTAHNGARTH  wrote:

There is already a software fix for your issue: Go into Wii options and change the settings for the auto power-down. You have to have been in the System Settings screen at least once? The auto power down setting is kind of hard to miss. Just make it longer or turn it off.

Thanks, I'll turn the auto shut down off before updating the system when I get the wiiu.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)