Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
64,166 Views 9 Replies Last post: Mar 4, 2012 9:40 AM by ELLSWORTHS
RSS
1 posts since
May 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 11, 2010 6:51 AM

DS Lite Hinge Broken: How to repair

The hinge on my Nintendo DS Lite broke: I no longer can notch the top screen to stay in a particular position.

How to fix?

Thanks

ONE-OF-THREE 4,751 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
May 10, 2010 8:16 PM in response to: DBDSBLUE
Re: DS Lite Hinge Broken: How to repair

Unfortunately, but there really isn't a way for you to repair this and any attempt to do so will void the warranty (if your DS Lite still has one), so it would be best to send it in to Nintendo for the repair.:)

So give a call to Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number, or use their webform to contact them, and have them set up the repair process for you.

And could you edit out your name from your post, as personal information is not allowed to be revealed here, thanks.:)

ELLSWORTHS 1 posts since
Mar 4, 2012
Mar 4, 2012 9:40 AM in response to: ONE-OF-THREE

As an FYI, Nintendo will not cover this under warranty.  I was told it was not a manufacturer's defect, but abuse.  So, I wouldn't count on having a warranty to help fix it.

LADY_LUIGI 63 posts since
Apr 5, 2010
May 21, 2010 4:17 AM in response to: DBDSBLUE

Alrighty, here are your options.
1. Put a rubber band around the base of the top screen on your DSL. This is ugly, but hey, it works.
2. If your DS is still in warranty, send it in to Nintendo. OOT's contact info in his post is what you should use.
3. If it's out of warranty, you're electronic-savvy, and you don't want to spend 70+$ to have Nintendo fix it, you can find replacement shells online. I won't tell you where, though, because I don't think that's kosher on the official Nintendo forums. They should be easy to find.

Hope my post helped.

EARTHBOUND33 2,270 posts since
Jul 1, 2010
Jul 12, 2010 9:06 PM in response to: LADY_LUIGI

you can find replacement shells online in a variety of colors that will make your ds look like new. there are a lot of tutorials online that show you how to replace the shell. 

24 posts since
May 22, 2010
May 22, 2010 9:53 AM in response to: DBDSBLUE

You know, my DS has the very same problem as you do. My DS has no warranty any more but I will admit, that rubber band idea is very smart if you don't want to spend any money on repairs. Hope that I helped! Reply if you want.

DSI'S 414 posts since
May 8, 2010
Jul 22, 2010 2:05 PM in response to: DS5998

My ds lite has the same problem as well. Except shortly after it happened the top screen started turning white. It is annoying because I just got a new game right before it happened. I don't have a warranty too. And I don't have enough money to get it repaired so I just have to deal with it. I hope no one else has to, too.

BRANDOS12 219 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
Jul 23, 2010 7:33 PM in response to: DSI'S

I never thought it would happen but my DS Lite hinge broke too!  It happened just yesterday.  I'm not gonna get it repaired though because it's way out of warranty and I never use it because I now have a DSi.  And it is still usable, the screen still stays up.

18 posts since
Aug 17, 2010
Aug 21, 2010 9:09 AM in response to: DBDSBLUE

Dear DBDSBLUE,

Broken hinges are the most common issue in the Nintendo DS Lite Model.

Here is your list of options:

1. Contact Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 to schedule a repair; check for your warranty and describe your situation. The price will be around $75-$85.

2. Put a rubber band around the creases in the top screen; this may not look good but will definitely keep your Nintendo DS Lite's top screen in a specific place.

I hope this helps,

Sincerely,

NGSanRulez.

1 posts since
Jul 31, 2011
Jul 31, 2011 9:25 AM in response to: DBDSBLUE

the only way i got my hinge fixed was to buy another DS lite sorry

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)