Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
27,727 Views 9 Replies Last post: Jul 18, 2014 10:49 PM by NIGHTFIRE5
RSS
MICHAEL_W 4 posts since
Feb 27, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 27, 2013 3:24 PM

Playing N64 games on the Wii virtual console (on Wii U)

So I recently got Paper Mario 64 for 200 coins on club nintendo (great deal by the way!). Unfortunately when I got on my Wii U and went to Wii mode and downloaded the game, I was not able to play it. I need a classic controler - which to my understanding means a gamecube controler. However, I did not think that the Wii U supports those.

Does anyone know a way around this? Or did I get a game that I can not play (even though there are instructions for downloading the game on the Wii U on the club nintendo page)?

MARIO 3,293 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Feb 27, 2013 3:25 PM in response to: MICHAEL_W
Re: Playing N64 games on the Wii virtual console (on Wii U)

Unfortunately there is no way around it. You need a Classic  Controller to play certain Virtual Console games in Wii mode. Before  purchasing a title you can check to see what controllers are supported  (Wii U does not support GCN controllers, which are not the same as Classic Controllers, however.)

In the future Nintendo may offer a chance to upgrade  Paper Mario on Wii to the Wii U Virtual Console version for a small fee,  which would let you use the Wii U GamePad, however there is no word on  how long it may take to get that ready.

MARIOGOLFER777 2,329 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Feb 27, 2013 3:43 PM in response to: MARIO

MARIO  wrote:

Unfortunately there is no way around it. You need a Classic  Controller to play certain Virtual Console games in Wii mode. Before  purchasing a title you can check to see what controllers are supported  (Wii U does not support GCN controllers, which are not the same as Classic Controllers, however.)

In the future Nintendo may offer a chance to upgrade  Paper Mario on Wii to the Wii U Virtual Console version for a small fee,  which would let you use the Wii U GamePad, however there is no word on  how long it may take to get that ready.

Yes, I wish there was N64 games for the Wii U VC, but currently just NES and SNES. I sure hope they add N64 games in the future!

TUTZUAL 1 posts since
Jul 18, 2014
Jul 18, 2014 10:30 PM in response to: MARIO

But it's just de Classic controller or the Pro Controller work aswell for N64 virtual console games?? (I'm asking for Paper Mario too) So, can I use the Pro Controller on the Wii mode in my Wii U?

NIGHTFIRE5 3,805 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Jul 18, 2014 10:49 PM in response to: TUTZUAL

TUTZUAL  wrote:

But it's just de Classic controller or the Pro Controller work aswell for N64 virtual console games?? (I'm asking for Paper Mario too) So, can I use the Pro Controller on the Wii mode in my Wii U?

No. When you active the Wii U's Wii Mode, you are no longer playing a Wii U. You are playing a Nintendo Wii console. As such, controllers made for the Wii U such as the Wii U Pro Controller will not work. You must use a Classic Controller or Classic Controller PRO in order to play Virtual Console games on the Wii U's Wii Mode.

Jul 11, 2012
Feb 28, 2013 12:03 PM in response to: MICHAEL_W

Just about every N64 game on the Wii shop channel can use it! Also, retail games like Mario Kart Wii can use it.

CARWILE235 424 posts since
Jan 5, 2013
Feb 28, 2013 3:21 PM in response to: MICHAEL_W

Actually, MICHAEL_W, the classic controller is not a GameCube controller. It does not plug into the system, but instead plugs into a Wii Remote (similar to a Nunchuck). If you plan to purchase more Virtual Console games on your Wii U, I think that this may be a worthy investment

Jul 11, 2012
Feb 28, 2013 3:34 PM in response to: CARWILE235

I got a Classic Controller pro just for Super Mario 64, and to this day, I use it on SM64, MK64 and of course, PM64 (really good game).

NIGHTFIRE5 3,805 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Feb 28, 2013 5:40 PM in response to: MICHAEL_W

MICHAEL_W  wrote:

Incase it is helpful to anyone with a similar question as mine, I did find out that the "Classic Controller" is compatible with the Wii U. It is just the gamecube controller that is not. So I can play Paper Mario 64, but it would require the purchase of a classic controller.

Personally, I just plan on waiting to see if I can pay a few bucks to get my "free" game upgraded to the Wii U virtual console in the future. No point in getting a classic controller now. I can't think of any other games that I would use it for.

Just to point out, but Nintendo has currently only announced three systems that will be supported on the Wii U's Virtual Console service, which consist of the Nintendo Entertainment System, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and the Game Boy Advance. Although it is possible that Nintendo may add support for other systems, such as the SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive and the Nintendo 64 in the future, it's also just as possible that they may choose to focus on other systems which were not previously available on the Virtual Console service, such as the SEGA Dreamcast and Atari 2600, and they may leave Nintendo 64 Virtual Console titles on the Wii Shop Channel. If support for the Nintendo 64 is added to the Wii U's Virtual Console service, you could also ultimately be waiting several years for this to happen, and if it does happen sooner rather than later, it still may take some time for a game to be added to the service.

In addition to the Virtual Console titles for both the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo Wii U, a number of WiiWare titles, retail Nintendo Wii games, and retail Nintendio Wii U games also support the use of the Classic Controller and Classic Controller PRO accessories.

Oh, also, if Paper Mario is ever added to the Wii U's Virtual Console service, you won't be paying "a few bucks" to upgrade to the Wii U Virtual Console version of the game. The reduced price is only available to those who have transferred the matching game from a Nintendo Wii console to the Wii U console in use through the Nintendo Wii to Nintendo Wii U System Transfer Tool. Since you obtained Paper Mario from the Wii Shop Channel through a download code from Club Nintendo, you'd be paying the normal price of $9.99 plus tax, and you'd still have the game on your Wii U's Wii Mode.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)