Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 3 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
17,452 Views 3 Replies Last post: May 17, 2010 8:53 PM by KS8_2007
RSS
2 posts since
May 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 17, 2010 2:20 PM

Wii not working at all - power on, black screen

Okay, so this is kind of a unique problem, apparently.

My Wii is totally broken and it's been that way for a year now. I have about 80 bucks worth of WiiWare and I don't know whether or not i'm linked with my Club Nintendo account or not, so any attempt to save the hard drive would be great.

What happened was, about a year ago (I've tried fixing it numerous times to no avail) I was playing Brawl with my friend, when suddenly both Wiimotes stopped working. So we decided to restart the Wii - only it didn't restart.

It turned on, yes. But that's it. The CD drive clicked like normal, but the fan didn't turn on, the Wiimote acted as if it was looking for a Wii but there wasn't one (all four LEDs flashed), and there was no sound and no video. I've checked all the connections, reset the Wii, and called Nintendo, and they just said to pay a hundred bucks to get it fixed and I'd rather not do that. Also as previously mentioned I want to preserve my hard drive and somehow I don't think it would be safe.

When I turn it on, the Power light turns on, and the ringing noise that plays on an empty TV/VIDEO input channel stops as if the Wii had been turned on. I feel a little breeze coming out the fan slot (but the fan isn't moving) so something must be going on. But no warning screen pops up, the Wiimote doesn't respond, there's no video at all, no sound at all...

PLEASE give some suggestions! I was gonna open it up (it's past warranty already anyhow) but I saw a video of it on YouTube and it looks insanely difficult plus I can't get any screwdriver small enough to open the security screws. (Bravo, Nintendo, bravo...)

I have not modded the Wii at all.

ONE-OF-THREE 5,925 posts since
Apr 1, 2010
May 17, 2010 3:00 PM in response to: THE GAME GURU
Re: Wii not working at all - power on, black screen

Sorry, but since we are not Nintendo employees, we are not allowed to give specific technical advice on repairs, due to safety concerns and liability issues if the person is injured, or that the Nintendo product being repaired is damaged attempting to follow the information given.

So it would be best to again call Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 (6 am ~ 7 pm Pacific, everyday) Customer Service number, or use their webform to contact them and have them repair it, which you will know it is done right and if any problems occur again, your console will have a new one year long warranty and any repairs will then be free of charge.

KS8_2007 311 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
May 17, 2010 8:53 PM in response to: THE GAME GURU
Re: Wii not working at all - power on, black screen

I'm afraid so. But on the bright side, at least you won't lose your data. Whereas if you tamper with it on your own and lose stuff, you may be out of luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)