Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 4 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
397,942 Views 9 Replies Last post: Jan 20, 2013 10:42 PM by DARK_NESS
RSS
1 posts since
May 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 30, 2010 8:34 AM

Need to Connect a Wii to HDMI

My brother bought a house where the living room entertainment center was  already set up so that you could only hook up stuff through an HDMI  setup in a nearby closet. He's trying to figure out how to rig a Wii up  to this thing (it really is probably the best console for him). Component and composite are not options for him.

What's the best converter he could use to get both his video and audio  running through an HDMI cable? Also, he'll need a wireless sensor bar.

58 posts since
May 25, 2010
May 30, 2010 8:38 AM in response to: REDSWIRL
Re: Need to Connect a Wii to HDMI

Sorry, I'm not sure about the setup with the HDMI and the original cords for the Wii but I am sure you can buy a Wii sensor bar at a local Gamestop and if not, online.

MRS_DEANMARTIN 80 posts since
May 25, 2010
May 30, 2010 2:41 PM in response to: REDSWIRL

I'm not aware of an HDMI cable for the Wii, especially not one from Nintendo (which are usually the best way to go), but if I were a bettin' gal, I'd say you could search Amazon or eBay (I'd try Amazon first) and come up with something.

If that doesn't work, I'd place a large bet that he could run component cables to a DVD player. Put the component cable in the "in" port of the DVD player. Get an HDMI cable and plug it into the "out" of the DVD player and then "in" to the HDMI port. You will probably need to put the DVD player on aux. or line 1 or the like, and make sure the TV is set to the HDMI import that is coming in from the DVD player. If that does not work (because your DVD player may not have an in or soemthing), you can use a VCR in the mix. Go "out" from the Wii with component cables to the "in" of the VCR. Go "out" from the VCR to the "in" of the DVD player with a component cable that has the three colors on both ends. Go from the "out" of the DVD player with an HDMI cable to the "in" of the TV. Wa-la. I've rigged up many a-Nintendo up in my day as you can see lol.

As for the wireless sensor bar, that is far less complicated. Pick one up at Wal Mart, Target, Kmart, QVC, GameStop, Amazon...they're not too hard to find

Hope it all works out for y'all

1 posts since
Jun 2, 2010
Jun 7, 2010 9:36 AM in response to: REDSWIRL

Remembered seeing your question the other day when I ran across this article: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Wii/Wii2HDMI_Creates_an_HDMI_Output_for_your_Wii/4812

Should be exactly what you need.  :-)

23 posts since
Apr 9, 2010
Nov 28, 2010 6:02 PM in response to: REDSWIRL
JOCKEY69 1 posts since
Oct 13, 2012
Oct 13, 2012 11:37 AM in response to: REDSWIRL

This ofcourse is ages after the original question was posted, but I think I came across an answer.

In this solution, one end connects to Wii as usual (using the special Wii connection). The other end will have a HDMI connector, instead of a regular A/V cable or a Component Video Cable. This reduces the number of wires and most important, helps connecting the Wii directly to the receiver.

Only drawback is the cable is kind of pricey though ($38.29)....

http://www.focalprice.com/GW535B/HDMI_Converter_for_Nintendo_Wii_Black.html?utm_source=CS&utm_medium=PA_US&utm_campaign=CS_PA_US_GW535B&gclid=CIys2vfQ_rICFUWnPAodxBQAtg#.UHm0R5E8pAc

MARIOGOLFER777 2,329 posts since
Jul 11, 2012
Oct 13, 2012 12:39 PM in response to: JOCKEY69

This is a pretty old thread, and it looks like the thread starter is no longer a member on these forums, so please don't bump old threads.

DOCTORPIKMIN 4 posts since
Jan 15, 2013
Jan 23, 2013 9:41 AM in response to: MARIOGOLFER777

This is still a very common question, and there have actually been a few new HDMI cables (third party, not Nintendo-made) in the past year, much better in quality than the old stuff too.  There was a thread on the unofficial community Nintendo Forums comparing 8 or 9 different HDMI cables a few months ago, but I can't seem to find it.  I'll dig around for something on Yahoo, because I'm sure there are more comparisons out there.

***Edited to remove external link.***

Message was edited by: NOA_TECH_MIKA

MARIO 3,247 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
Jan 15, 2013 7:02 PM in response to: DOCTORPIKMIN

There is really no difference in HDMI cables as far as picture quality is concerned. The signal is digital.

DARK_NESS 132 posts since
Apr 22, 2010
Jan 20, 2013 10:42 PM in response to: MARIO

MARIO  wrote:

There is really no difference in HDMI cables as far as picture quality is concerned. The signal is digital.

not only that it will still go up to 420 hd only. though i which wii games goes up to at least 720 wii games on the wiiu console.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)