1 "correct" answer available (4 pts)
5,953 Views 9 Replies Last post: May 4, 2013 3:26 PM by FITHEMASTERSWORD
RSS
NINTEN_DEMON 7 posts since
Dec 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 2, 2013 11:40 PM

Wii to Wii U transfer questions.

I just have two questions, since I've decided to try and transfer this weekend. One, if I can't fit everything on the source wii and have to have it stay on an SD card, do I have to do the transfer twice to finish everything off? Second, does any of the content stay on the wii as a copy? Will I still have save files or wii shop account downloads?

NIGHTFIRE5 3,435 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
May 2, 2013 11:42 PM in response to: NINTEN_DEMON
Re: Wii to Wii U transfer questions.

NINTEN_DEMON  wrote:

I just have two questions, since I've decided to try and transfer this weekend. One, if I can't fit everything on the source wii and have to have it stay on an SD card, do I have to do the transfer twice to finish everything off? Second, does any of the content stay on the wii as a copy? Will I still have save files or wii shop account downloads?

In terms of everything not fitting on the Wii console...what exactly are we talking about here? Rock Band or Guitar Hero DLC, Virtual Console and WiiWare games?

As for your second question, the only content that will remain on your Nintendo Wii console will be content that is not allowed to be transferred, such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, and the Check Mii Out Channel. You save files and Wii Shop Channel account data will be sent to the Wii U's Wii Mode during the transfer.

Mar 29, 2011
May 2, 2013 11:49 PM in response to: NINTEN_DEMON

NINTEN_DEMON  wrote:

I was talking Wiiware and VC games yeah. But that also begs clearing up, if I also have save files on the SD card do they not get automatically transferred as well?

No. Save files that are stored on the SD Card will not be transferred during the system transfer process. To be perfectly honest, you would be best to delete the Channel data for any WiiWare or Virtual Console game that you are able to before the system transfer, so that you'll be able to have all of your save files on the source Wii. Personally, I also recommend performing the transfer only with an empty SD Card so that way you won't have to worry about missing any data.

Mar 29, 2011
May 2, 2013 11:56 PM in response to: NINTEN_DEMON

NINTEN_DEMON  wrote:

So I can redownload all of my titles from the Wii Shop in Wii Mode right? What about Club Nintendo codes, do I just use them in wii mode's wii shop?

That is correct. Any Virtual Console or WiiWare Channel data that is stored on the SD Card before the System Transfer becomes useless after the transfer is performed, so the channels must be re-downloaded. Channel data for Virtual Console and WiiWare games that is on the Wii System Memory will be sent over during the transfer and does not need to be re-downloaded.

You mean the download codes from Club Nintendo, correct? Yes, you can still redeem them for Virtual Console and WiiWare downloads in the Wii Mode's Wii Shop Channel just like before.

Mar 29, 2011
May 3, 2013 12:11 AM in response to: NINTEN_DEMON

NINTEN_DEMON  wrote:

Alright, so it'll essentially make my Wii a clean slate with no shop data, but it will still have things like gamecube data and wii-specific channels. I think I got it.

I suppose more or less, although Nintendo Gamecube game data has nothing to do with the Nintendo Wii console itself, as that data is stored on the Nintendo Gamecube Memory Card. Although all of your Wii Shop Channel data is moved to the Wii U's Wii Mode, you can still enter the shop to make new purchases and such, and if you check the "Account Activity", you'll see everything is still recorded on there. It basically takes all of your paid purchases in the Wii Shop Channel, sends them over to the Wii U's Wii Mode, and leaves everything else. But yes, you more or less have the right idea.

MESID 4 posts since
May 4, 2013
May 4, 2013 3:08 PM in response to: NINTEN_DEMON

If you transfer save files stored in your Wii, you won't be able to get them back into the Wii. They'll be in your Wii U, and if you want to play a Wii game from its save file that you transfered to your Wii U, you can only play it in Wii U, or start from New in the Wii.

For example: I transferred my Wii data to my Wii U, and my parents Mario Kart saved data was transferred too. I cannot transfer it back to Wii (not even copying it with an SD card), so, they got really mad at me for spoiling hours of their gameplay, and they don't want to have to come into my room every time they want to play their games... They had to start from zero and get all their unlockables again... It's a mess.

Just be aware of this.

FITHEMASTERSWORD 1,458 posts since
Jan 16, 2012
May 4, 2013 3:26 PM in response to: MESID

That's only true for games that use online play. For example, I've been switching Xenoblade Chronicles save data back and forth from Wii to Wii U, but The Last Story save data can't because it uses online play.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)